Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been watching a television program here in NZ about Kiwi's who have holiday homes or second properties in other parts of the world.

One couple had a lakefront home in Muskoka Lakes, Ontario - which looked rather nice - and what impressed me further was that it cost them a lot less than buying a similar lakeside property here in NZ (in Queenstown near where we live for instance). The only drawback I guess is the travel involved... meaning you cannot simply pop over to Canada for the weekend!

I was just wondering if that area is near anyone on the group??

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
That area is indeed very nice and it is a couple hours north of Toronto. Because of that, the traffic going up there and back for the weekend can be pretty bad. And I'm not sure what kind of costs they talked about, but that area has been in such high demand from the 4 million people living in Toronto that the prices have skyrocketed over the last 10 years. You can hardly find anything there for less then $1M nowadays.

I live in a very similar area, but about 4 hours east of it. I built my house on a lake about 35 minutes north of Ottawa for less then $400K, and if I could move it to Muskoka, it would easily be worth 4-5 times that!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I echo sduford's observations; Muskoka is beautiful, but very expensive with bad weekend traffic. Cottage property is becoming harder and harder to find near the Toronto area. I think the best values (for Torontonians) are east of Muskoka, e.g. Haliburton, Bancroft, etc.

Sduford, you are fortunate to live in the Gatineau area; it is incredible, as nice as Muskoka without the traffic. Mind you, it has been more than a few years since I've been there, and the last time was at a cottage party so my recollections have been influenced by alcohol and bikinis.....

JRI

P.S. Know of any trout streams in the Gat. hills?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lakefront vacation property has become very hot in Ontario in the last few years and the "Big Three" lakes in Muskoka (lakes Muskoka, Joseph and Rosseau) are the most expensive of them all. But if you venture slightly further afield you can still find relatively reasonably priced spots.

Our family cottage is on a private island in Georgian Bay, just to the west of the Muskoka area. Prices are lower on the bay due to the accessibility factor--most properties are seasonably accessible only by water or float plane.

Sure is a beautiful part of the country.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
bmorton
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing