Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got this h6 llbean wagon just over a month ago... the last rainy day i took a turn a bit too quick and to my surprise the VDC light came on

YES VDC light came on and went off once it helped me correct the car now this is NOT a vdc it is a LLbean i dont have a VDC off button but it does have VDC how is that possible? im puzzled i thought the VDC was a completly separate model with mcintosh sound system an no llbean leather

hmmmm anyone has any input on this?

i have checked the vin and origin of the car (long island NY)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wait for it to rain again. Turn the wheel all the way to one side and gun it, it helps if you're on a hill. Get a picture of the light.

-Tim

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe the 7th position of the VIN will tell?

do you have macintosh stereo?

is the VDC light 'tested' before you start the car?

weird
no the light doesnt come on when u first start the car... no macintosh stereo... the light came on once the car started slidding side ways and a total abs feel

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Did you name it Christine, by any chance?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Any of these sound plausible?

Positive it's an LLBean and not a VDC model that's had some other parts swapped in? My 2002 OBW might be called an LLBean since i've got LLbean seats, goodies, and badges that I installed.
The McIntosch stereos fail all the time (i've got three bad ones) and are expensive so some folks just swap to another Subaru stereo which is plug and play.
The no-VDC button might also mean they swapped the dash out for a different model/arrangement, also common to do.

Or maybe a light came on "close" to the VDC light and it "appeared" to illuminate but actually didn't?

·
Registered
114 Posts
so i got this h6 llbean wagon just over a month ago... the last rainy day i took a turn a bit too quick and to my surprise the VDC light came on

YES VDC light came on and went off once it helped me correct the car now this is NOT a vdc it is a LLbean i dont have a VDC off button but it does have VDC how is that possible? im puzzled i thought the VDC was a completly separate model with mcintosh sound system an no llbean leather

hmmmm anyone has any input on this?

i have checked the vin and origin of the car (long island NY)
You're driving an LLBean. I think there is a relay or fuse in the fuse box under the hood that runs that system. Perhaps someone installed one in your Bean thinking that they could turn it into a VDC? Open it up and see, there is a diagram inside the black plastic cover.

I would think that installing a relay or fuse in a non-VDC car would do nothing, but stranger things have happened. Oh, by the way, I like your avatar....

:29:

N

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
def not the brake light its the skid mark light... im sure i know what the vdc and brake light look like im not going crazy yet lol ;)
There you go. Problem solved. It's not VDC. The traction light came on due to wheel slip. The symbol with the wavey lines under it comes on when wheel slip occurs to let you know the system is operating the ABS and transfer case to control traction.

Could have gone on forever with all kinds of scenarios as to how a LLBean was stepped up to a VDC.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There you go. Problem solved. It's not VDC. The traction light came on due to wheel slip. The symbol with the wavey lines under it comes on when wheel slip occurs to let you know the system is operating the ABS and transfer case to control traction.

Could have gone on forever with all kinds of scenarios as to how a LLBean was stepped up to a VDC.
according to the owners manual the little car and skid mark light means vdc is acting "it blinks when the skid suppression function is activated"

·
Registered
114 Posts
In that fuse/relay box under the hood, there is a relay position for the VDC. The underside of the box has the diagram; Open it up and see where that relay is and look to see if you have one.

LLBean cars had embossed LLBean logos in the leather on the seat backs, LLBean floor mats, a mahogany steering wheel, and LLBean emblems on the sides. The VDC simply said VDC on the back and the sides.

The AWD on the four-cylinder cars and the LLBean H6 models is the same; The VDC has a system that is similar to the system on the WRX cars. They work differently. In order to give traction control and stability control, they had to adopt this more advanced system.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The VDC Outbacks also had VTD which meant a true center diff. I would expect the rear end of a the transmission of an outback with VTD to look different. Does anyone have any pics?

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
Just for measure, in the underhood fuse box in the same slot as the FWD fuse location, is the VDC Off. Insert a 10A fuse into the slot. It is the only fuse slot on the right looking down from the driver fender at the end of the relay line. After the fuse is inserted, start the car. If it is VDC equipped, which I doubt unless its a European build, The "VDC OFF" light will stay on.

If it has the VDC programming and updated trans, then lucky you. The VDC was the top of the line beginning in 2001 and was the tester vehicle for what is now referred to as Symmetrical AWD.

Check Edmunds info here: 2002 Subaru Outback Just scroll down toward the bottom of the page and read the article.

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
Diagrams and pics.

The two pics of the hydraulic units are the tell-tell.

Just pop your hood and look at it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing