Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, in prep for an autocross tomorrow, in tried replacing the fuel damper and unfortunately the noise has not stopped. I think I'm going to try injectors next, and if that doesn't do it, then it's in the block somewhere and I don't wanna **** with that. Maybe after I get another car I'll pull the motor and either swap or rebuild it.

Does anyone know the best way to post a video clip?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
No, I haven't, what's the best way to go about that? I was planning on ordering injectors(denso oem) and plugs (ngk iridium) at the same time, it's time for both anyway.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,343 Posts
You listen for the noise and look for it. You'd have to be pretty close to the coil. The other way is to unplug a coil one at a time and if you get to one that stops the noise, that's the one that is allowing spark to jump to the head creating the noise. Then you pull it and see if the coil is cracked or if its the boot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You listen for the noise and look for it. You'd have to be pretty close to the coil. The other way is to unplug a coil one at a time and if you get to one that stops the noise, that's the one that is allowing spark to jump to the head creating the noise. Then you pull it and see if the coil is cracked or if its the boot.
Ah ok, thanks, I will check it out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Never heard of them.
I use Deatschwerks. They flow matched a set of 6 WRX 650cc for me and I am running their DW300 fuel pump.
Gotcha, thanks. I'm going to return them, best not to settle. I'll get ahold of Deatschwerks as well and get some proper injectors. I'm not sure what the stock H6 injector's flow rate is but I would imagine any bigger ones would require tuning? As always, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Upon some quick research, the stock flow rate is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the smallest injectors DW offers. I don't really want to tear into the fuel system and tuning just yet, not quite ready for all that, so I'll probably just install these for now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Little update, it's slow going with the car these days. Lots of other stuff going on taking up precious car funds.
Did some maintenance stuff, changed spark plugs and flushed the brake fluid. Definitely a noticeable improvement in braking, though I need some new rear rotors/pads. I had some Whiteline front control arm bushings put in as well, quite pleased there. Still just a little right hand drift, not positive why.

Went to another autocross this past weekend, very happy with how the car and myself performed. Always funny to see my wagon lined uo with all the miatas and corvettes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I didn't install them myself, a very reputable Subaru shop I frequent took care of it. In hindsight I wish I had and saved the money, but I was lacking time before the autocross.

I spoke with my Auto Tech instructor (I signed up for the program at Butte College here in norcal, it's quite good) about it and he suggested it could be the rotor dragging. I've noticed a rubbing noise from the right side and a pull under heavy, low speed braking. I definitely should've considered that. So I'll be taking apart the brakes and trying to reset the caliper. Thinking about just picking up some 4 pot calipers and SS lines soon. Cardoc, any suggestions there? I'm reading mixed opinions on whether the wrx brakea are actually an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,343 Posts
As hydraulics go, the calipers need to match the master cylinder or it's a waste of time. The master cylinder is what pushes the fluid and creates the pressure. In a 4 pot caliper, the pressure has to build higher than a 2 pot and do so equally in order to be effective.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
That makes sense. I'll probably just invest in some braided lines and maybe do a full brake system swap at some point.

Still not a ton going on with the car, end of the year has been expensive. I did get some new brakes all around, Power Stop z26, and I'm pretty happy with them. For the record, the drilled/slotted wasn't why I got them but I don't mind it.
I did discover what the brake noise and right hand pull was from. Somehow the caliper shoe was tweaked slightly and the edge of the rotor was grinding into it. No idea how that could have been caused, but I installed the shoe from my parts car and it all fit fine.

I'm not sure if this is just me inventing problems, but lately it's seemed like my steering is a tiny bit lighter than usual. It also feels like I'm having to rotate the wheel ever so slightly more for the same turning angle. Again, I could be wrong, but any ideas on what, if anything, could cause that? My thinking is perhaps the ps pump is weak or the rack has an issue. Any opinions on swapping to a sti rack? Friend of mine just did for his outback track car.

Oh also I got this just for fun. Have yet to get around to installing it, I kind of want to properly paint it first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Been a while since I posted anything about this car. I've finally dived into the manual swap! I picked up a parts car from a friend, 2001 OB 5mt, with a blown motor and pulled out all the parts I need for the swap. Ordered some new shifter bushings and a new joint, waiting until I can more responsibly afford a new clutch as well, old one is pretty shot. Right now I'm doing research into the wiring aspect of this swap, definitely just a little intimidating, but I'm sure with some help I'll figure it out.

Oh, I also got around to getting all the parts necessary to replace my timing chains, guides, water pump, and spark plugs, so that will be a project in the near future as well. Hopefully by the time race events start up again, she'll be ready to go!

Oh, and I did NOT install those injectors, returned those pieces of crap.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts