Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
00 Outback Ltd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Finally pulled the trigger when I came across this gem. 00 Outback Limited with 167K miles. It was a lease returned car bought by a very nice couple in 2002 and maintained(documented with 2 page printout) till I bought it last week. Anyway, everything works and all maintenance was already done so off I go into the modding zone. I am thinking firmer suspension and rear wing to start.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Very nice!

Start with a simple mod: put in a center console from an '02-'04 to gain an extra cup holder, and move the seat heater switches forward.

I'm still on the hunt for one to do mine. I found a black one local, but I need tan.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,475 Posts
The car looks really good. And clean. If you want to extend the wood grain trim, there are complete kits available for cheap. I did mine in Chinese Burlewood. Wood Dash Kits from CARiD.com Made a huge difference in the look and only took a couple hours with cleaning and application.

·
Registered
00 Outback Ltd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Several of my buddies are die hard speed Subies and that led to me eyeing an Outback the last couple of years to replace my falling apart ML320 with 300+k miles.

RedGeminiPA,

How much was the black console in your area? Is it still available?

Cardoc,

Thanks for the tip. Did not know matching trim panels are available. Besides the ML320 I only have old 70s and 80s BMWs so this part of the adventure is new to me. I know I am going to have a huge learning curve coming.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm sure it's still available. They told me $20 if I pull it myself.

I found the one I need, but it's 2-1/2 hours away. He said I could have it for $5 since I was traveling from so far away. :) Looks like I'll be making a road trip within a week or so.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cardoc,

Did you get the Remin or B&I kit? Does it cover it well enough that you can't see the original if I were to change to something different?

·
Premium Member
14,475 Posts
Cardoc,

Did you get the Remin or B&I kit? Does it cover it well enough that you can't see the original if I were to change to something different?
Remin and mostly. It covers the upper cluster cover and door switch panels completely. Edges do not wrap around the center console. It also came with a strip to fit the roll out above the glove box, the rear cup holder door and the seat heater switches. I will try to remember to get better pics tomorrow in the daylight.

A lighter blend than the burlewood would have blended in closer, but the burlewood stands out and so far no has noticed it except me and the people reading this post. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
00 Outback Ltd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure it's still available. They told me $20 if I pull it myself.

I found the one I need, but it's 2-1/2 hours away. He said I could have it for $5 since I was traveling from so far away. :) Looks like I'll be making a road trip within a week or so.
I took a look at the car and could not make out what are needed to make the swap. How many parts do we need to disassemble and take for the swap? It looks like everything from the console to half way up the trans stick. I am familiar with BMW pick n pull but nothing on Subaru so I guess I will need to see what is available here in So Cal.

·
Registered
672 Posts
From the looks of it, it's only about 6-8 screws... You'll need the entire assembly, up to the shifter. The shifter trim should be interchangeable, so no need for that.

From another thread here posted by driveby. No pictures of the process, but sounds simple enough:

"If you have to remove the entire console...it is actually pretty easy. Pry the bottom/aft edge of the shifter bezel up with your fingers to pop the hooks. Pull the shifter bezel aft to remove its posts from the radio trim. 2 screws to remove the coin tray. 2 screws under the console box lid. Raise the parking brake and carefully pull the trim piece, disconnecting the seat heater switches if you have them. 2 more screws in front, and 4 screws at the bottom of the box, then you can pull the whole box assembly. Easy to figure out from there. It's also a good opportunity to wash the whole shebang in the sink and if you're feeling adventurous, to add a couple of hidden power outlets."

·
Registered
00 Outback Ltd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the looks of it, it's only about 6-8 screws... You'll need the entire assembly, up to the shifter. The shifter trim should be interchangeable, so no need for that.

From another thread here posted by driveby. No pictures of the process, but sounds simple enough:

"If you have to remove the entire console...it is actually pretty easy. Pry the bottom/aft edge of the shifter bezel up with your fingers to pop the hooks. Pull the shifter bezel aft to remove its posts from the radio trim. 2 screws to remove the coin tray. 2 screws under the console box lid. Raise the parking brake and carefully pull the trim piece, disconnecting the seat heater switches if you have them. 2 more screws in front, and 4 screws at the bottom of the box, then you can pull the whole box assembly. Easy to figure out from there. It's also a good opportunity to wash the whole shebang in the sink and if you're feeling adventurous, to add a couple of hidden power outlets."
Thanks. Going to file this info away on my cell so I will know what to do at the yard.

Cardoc,

That looks like factory. How hard is it to use their included 3M glue or did you go for their optional 3M pen?

Theelm,

I am afraid I stole this one so I don't think it is good for me to disclose exactly how much. Let's just assume I did not pay 4 or anywhere close for it. The PO sold it for less than normal in anticipation of possible HG failure(coolant smell) according to their long time service tech at the dealership when they did the 150K major service.

·
Premium Member
14,475 Posts
It was easy. The pen would probably work easier. The most difficult one was the top edge of the cluster cover. The thin bend made lining it up quick a challenge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts