Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
I'm getting an OBDII reader that displays real time fuel economy. I'm going to be doing some tests with this intake mod setup.

I was planning on doing it this same way, but might also try the fender hole for an inlet too. That 2-3" coupler isn't very cheap compared to the rest of the pieces.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm getting an OBDII reader that displays real time fuel economy. I'm going to be doing some tests with this intake mod setup.

I was planning on doing it this same way, but might also try the fender hole for an inlet too. That 2-3" coupler isn't very cheap compared to the rest of the pieces.
Good deal, log as much as you can and let me know what you find out. I'd be interested to know.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well my latest project is only because my car made me do it. lol Yesterday I noticed my exhaust had a leak, and I found it was right near the last flange before the muffler assembly. Well on my way into work on the highway doing 75 mph it decided to split in half. Needless to say I was only 3-4 minutes away from work, so I just drove the rest of the way with it on the ground.

I had been kicking around the idea of putting on an aftermarket muffler to get a little different exhaust tone, and this forced the decision. I work for Napa, and we can get a good price on dynomax. I found part number# 17731 (Dynomax Super Turbo) that was similar to the specs of the OE Mufller. I'm having my local exhaust shop fab it up into place and weld a pipe between my mid-pipe and muffler.

I'll be sure to update you all on how it sounds and looks.

Here is the part that I bought from my Napa store.

Amazon.com: Dynomax 17731 Super Turbo Muffler: Automotive

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like your style and I mean that in a big way. I look forward to hearing how the exhaust works in symbiosis with the intake silencer mod. Bravo man, and its a stark reminder to the kind of mods Ive done to my 4runner minus the suspension. It even has the same color scheme.. Glad to see a Subaru getting modded just how I will do it when I have one. Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to write my comment. I don't mean it to detract from the timeline of the build.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I like your style and I mean that in a big way. I look forward to hearing how the exhaust works in symbiosis with the intake silencer mod. Bravo man, and its a stark reminder to the kind of mods Ive done to my 4runner minus the suspension. It even has the same color scheme.. Glad to see a Subaru getting modded just how I will do it when I have one. Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to write my comment. I don't mean it to detract from the timeline of the build.
Thanks for the complements, its perfectly fine to post them here. I just like to keep a build thread on the stuff I do so hopefully someone can find it helpful or inspirational.

As for the muffler install, the shop I picked installed it fine, but its honestly a pretty ugly install. lol I'll take a picture and post it up, but it was not as clean as I had hoped. I actually have to take it back up there because its making contact with my trailer hitch.

But as for the sounds, it is Perfect! Nice low growl between 2-4k rpm and a nice low idle sound. Its not overwhelming in the car with the windows down or up. Now, I have to say I like the noise because my other car is a 3" turbo back with no cat, and that rattles the house at idle. But it comes no where near as loud as that car.

Does this effect performance? Who knows. Its not something I could really tell with the butt dyno. It does sound a lot better when I'm flooring it. Together with the intake mod, and the muffler, the car sounds like its getting it. It kinda feels like its letting the motor breath more on the upper end of things.

Another thing I noticed is that when cruising at 70-75 the exhaust actually hits the perfect frequency and it gets super quite. A major bonus for my wife who thinks its a little too loud already.

I'm extremely happy with this upgrade and wish I had done it earlier.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well I forgot to get a picture of the crappy install job the muffler shop did, but I had a friend who likes to do it on the side helped me fix the issues.

The main issue was that the flange between the converters and resonators was damaged with the other flange broke and the pipe dropped. So we just decided to cut it out and weld in a pipe in place. No more leaks!

The second issue was that they hung it too close to the hitch, and taking corners it would make contact and it was noisy. So in order to fix that he basically had to redo all the stuff they did. I wish I had just taken it to him in the beginning.

He doesn't like how it looks, but it doesn't leak and it serves its function. All he had was some scraps and his welder but he managed to make it work perfect.

The damaged flange that was cut out.

In the process of getting the angles set and ready to be welded.

Getting the hangers in the right spots before welding them onto the muffler.

All said and done I love the tone and sound I get out of this dynomax muffler. He was trying to convince me to remove the resonators to get a little louder, but my wife didn't want me to even do this much, lol.

I think I may start looking for a good deal on some UEL headers to get that WRX type sound I love.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Nice work! If you look on mudrunners thread there's a link to some UEL headers on eBay for 150 he has some videos with the sound there too

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Doesn't it, though. Sorry, my pics are somewhere else, but my avatar ought to work.
lol, you cant join our party, you have a limited! Only us cool kids with the black door handles and mirrors, lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How much weight are you towing incl. the trailer you showed in an earlier pic?
I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess less then 1000 pounds. I only had a queen size bed and frame in the trailer, and most websites say trailers of that size are like 8-900 curb weight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm not sure why, but I have the itch to do something to my Outback. I've been searching the forums for inspiration, but I have not found anything to do. I would LOVE to order some Baja springs and get some KYB's but its just not in the budget.

Anyone have ideas or projects they are working on for there Outback?

One thing I keep going back to is to buy some dark grey wheel paint and change the color of the stock wheels. Not black, but a dark gun metal type of gray like some of the factory suby wheels.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No ideas since you didn't mention more power. :rolleyes:
Haha, I wouldn't mind more power, but that is what I have the Talon for. If I ever fix the transmission on it, that is an 11 second car. It's got a huge turbo on it and all supporting mods to run on E85. Its a nasty car...

What kinda cheap power upgrades could I look into?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,150 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Define "Cheap".

What have you done to it up to now?
Nothing really, lol. I did the intake mod to remove the silencers, and I just cut out the stock muffler and installed a Dynomax Turbo muffler in its place. Other then that honestly nothing. I've been considering a set of replica UEL Headers off ebay.

I don't really need anymore power out of this car only because that's what I have the Talon for. But if there were some garage mods or cheap (under a couple hundred) mods that would give it a little kick in the pants I would consider it.

And thanks a bunch for the links on your headlight mod. I was just looking at those projectors yesterday and was trying to figure out how hard they would be to install. I already have an H1 HID retrofit kit installed in the low beam and 9006 HID retrofit kit in the fog lights. They are very nice but I would love to have the crisp cutoff of the projectors.

Did you find it was easier to install them on the dual headlight setup or the single? And if you wanted to remove that chrome reflector base could you have installed them with so it was all black inside except the projector?

·
Premium Member
15,150 Posts
Either assembly is about the same to modify. The single assembly allowed for a more centered projector mounting in the assembly.

You have to keep the bowl for the projector mounting. Otherwise, you would need to make a mount in the back and a front piece so it doesn't look goofy. Picture light from a black hole. And then, if the projector is set too far back, it will cut off the light from the center of the car. You'll have a "dead spot" where the light won't be lighting up in front of the car.

If you want black for a background, or any color as far as that goes, the bowl can be painted while its apart.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Either assembly is about the same to modify. The single assembly allowed for a more centered projector mounting in the assembly.

You have to keep the bowl for the projector mounting. Otherwise, you would need to make a mount in the back and a front piece so it doesn't look goofy. Picture light from a black hole. And then, if the projector is set too far back, it will cut off the light from the center of the car. You'll have a "dead spot" where the light won't be lighting up in front of the car.

If you want black for a background, or any color as far as that goes, the bowl can be painted while its apart.
On the dual assembly, did you just leave the old halogen high beam in place unplugged, or did you keep its function? I don't see a need for it with the hi-lo function of the projector but I was just curious.

·
Premium Member
15,150 Posts
The lead for the OE high beam plugs into the lead for the projector's reflector solenoid to redirect the light for high beam when you toggle for high beam. You leave the bulb out. In the dual bulb housing, I ran the solenoid wires through the high beam bulb hole. There's no room for the bulb anyway and its really useless with the projectors wide open.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts