Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The lead for the OE high beam plugs into the lead for the projector's reflector solenoid to redirect the light for high beam when you toggle for high beam. You leave the bulb out. In the dual bulb housing, I ran the solenoid wires through the high beam bulb hole. There's no room for the bulb anyway and its really useless with the projectors wide open.
Kinda what I figured, thanks for all the helpful information, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I might have the time and money to try this mod soon.

I have read over quite a bit of both your project threads, and its pretty neat what you have done to each. Good inspiration for all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well I finally committed to doing my wheels with plastidip today. They are now a nice shade of flat black. I'm going to take some pictures here in a little bit and I'll share. I think it looks good, just not sure how good I did with the painting/prep and how long its going to last.

I also ordered a DEA Transmission mount from Rock Auto. Once that gets here I'm going to go ahead and install that and sway bar links. Front for sure, possibly rear ones too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
And here are the pictures!

And the one side of my car that I hate.. RUST!! Hopefully I may get that fixed soon to make it look better.

And a rear shot now that the exhaust is all completed.. I don't think it turned out to different from stock. :29:

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,107 Posts
Looks good. My dip is holding up great. When I wash the car, I spray the tires with Meguiar's Tire Foam to clean the tires. Its not sticky and keeps the tires looking like they were just put on. On the Green Machine with the dip wheels, I sprayed the dip also. Put a luster on it that lasted to the next few car washes. No more flat black.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Looks good. My dip is holding up great. When I wash the car, I spray the tires with Meguiar's Tire Foam to clean the tires. Its not sticky and keeps the tires looking like they were just put on. On the Green Machine with the dip wheels, I sprayed the dip also. Put a luster on it that lasted to the next few car washes. No more flat black.
Do you take the Green Machine with the dip rims through an automatic car wash or do you hand wash them? I really like how they look, so I want to keep them as nice as I can.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got a chance today to use up the rest of my plasti dip, and decided to paint my grill. I figured there were very few other chrome pieces other then the headlights so why not. I actually like how it turned out. I decided to take it off the car and paint it on some cardboard.

Here is when I first mounted it back onto the car.

And then after I pulled it off to expose the Subaru emblem.

What do you guy think? I really like the new look, its like its a different car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Almost forgot, my DEA mount came in yesterday, and I'm going to try and install it tomorrow night along with the front sway bar links. Hopefully that cleans up some of the suspension noise.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
I think I want your front bumper. (The reason I left most of mine out of the shot.) Looks pretty good though. I did mine with regular semi-gloss trim paint. I peeled the chrome off, which was already bubbled in some spots and peeling down in the grooves where it met the painted part. I masked when I painted, so I left the slightly lighter metallic grey paint on the inner part. Looks about stock.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well I've been super lazy and still have not installed my transmission mount, hopefully I'll make myself do that soon.

But I did finally sell my Yakima roof mounted bike rack, so I picked up a Hitch mounted Sport Rack. Much better and easier to mount my bike. No more removing that front tire which is sweet. Only thing I don't like is that you can't get the rear hatch open when you have bikes on. If you don't have a bike on the middle section will tilt out of the way, but its still better then the Yakima.

Here is the unit I purchased...

2 Bike Platform Hitch Rack*| SportRack US

Then for the 4th of July we took a trip up to the lake for a few days. In my car I had my 2 young nieces, 2 Boston Terriers, all the gear, and my bike. Then my Fiance had more gear and my infant son in her Baja. It was a fun trip for sure.

Side shot of my Outback

Both cars loaded up and ready to leave

The new bike rack with my 06 Specialized Hardrock Sport mounted.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Had some free time this week, decided to give her a bath and clean up the rims and tires. I'm pretty happy with the cars appearance overall, I might get a tint strip on the top of the windshield to keep a little more sun out of my eyes. Not to mention I like how it looks, lol.

Took Cardoc's idea of using tire shine, and misted some Mequiar's Hot Shine on the rims, then finished of the tires. You can't see it very well in the pictures, but it almost gives the wheels a gloss look. Pretty sweet.

Now I got to figure out how much its going to cost to get my rust spots fixed up and the car should be good until I find a 3rd gen that I HAVE to have. :29:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
BTW, my "dip" has been through 6 washes. One automatic and 5 self service with pressure. Holding up so far.
So far I have only done 1 high pressure spray wash, I have not had the balls to go though an automatic wash with those wheel brushes. I really don't want to have it get damaged. I like them too much :)

If for some reason it does come off, I'm going to dismount the tires and have them power coated black.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited- automatic
2 Posts
I really like the look of that car! About how many cans of plastidip did it take to cover the wheels and grill?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I really like the look of that car! About how many cans of plastidip did it take to cover the wheels and grill?
took 3.5 to do mine but i went heavier, most that i read about when prepping to do mine was 3 cans is plenty
I used up the better portion of 4 cans. I then ended up using the last little bits of each can on the grill. I took it off the car and sprayed it on the ground. I also went very heavy on the rims and ended up putting like 7-8 coats on them, lol. I just kept walking around the car and spraying them. Took about 1.5 hours all together.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,107 Posts
I just kept walking around the car and spraying them. Took about 1.5 hours all together.
I did that, but I had the car up on the lift so I wouldn't have to squat down. One wheel, spin and spray lightly. Next wheel, same. By the time I got to the last wheel, back to the first and around I went. 4 cans and exercise. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I did that, but I had the car up on the lift so I wouldn't have to squat down. One wheel, spin and spray lightly. Next wheel, same. By the time I got to the last wheel, back to the first and around I went. 4 cans and exercise. :)
Had I thought that far ahead, It would have been much easier to use my Dads lift. lol I was bored at work and went out on my lunch break and started the process. I ended up taking a long lunch because I didn't get it all finished up in my 1 hour...

I took www.dipyourcar.com's idea and cut a few clear trash bags and wrapped them around the caliper and rotors and then about half way through I pushed the car forward to get the missed spots.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Went on my Annual Camping/Hunting trip with my friends this weekend. I ended up taking a few shots of the car to share.

First is at the camp site with my Grandpa's trailer hooked up. It didn't even feel like it was back there. Drove perfectly.

Next is out in a field where I parked before going hunting. I had dropped the trailer and put on my hitch mounted cargo rack for hauling deer out.

And then a cool picture with 2 Buck's on the back. They were shot by 2 fellow hunters in my group and I was the only one who remembered to bring the rack. I was driving all over picking up everyone's deer all weekend. It was a muddy mess and had a great time 2 tracking all over getting dirty. It was raining most the weekend so it didn't stay muddy. Had just enough ground clearance to not have issues and enough AWD to not get stuck.

The cargo rack that I ended up getting was a 1 1/4" rack orginally made for an ATV. I wanted this one for the raise for extra ground clearance as well as not having to use a 2" adapter and it worked perfect!

Raider ATV/UTV 1-1/4 Hitch Hauler-430956 - Gander Mountain

·
Registered
3 Posts
Linkage

Ahowe125

Where did you buy your shifter linkage bushing kit from? I've been looking around on napa, autozone, and subaruparts but so far no luck.

What section or keywords did you look in or use in order to pull up the shifter linkage parts?

BTW really like this thread, great photos of a good looking Subi.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts