Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Ahowe125

Where did you buy your shifter linkage bushing kit from? I've been looking around on napa, autozone, and subaruparts but so far no luck.

What section or keywords did you look in or use in order to pull up the shifter linkage parts?

BTW really like this thread, great photos of a good looking Subi.
Thanks for checking out my thread, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

I ended up getting the part directly from Subaru. I thought I found a write up online that talked about what to order, but I can't find it now. If you called them up and told them the shifter linkage joint they should know. They had it right in stock as it is a common part I guess. I'll check and see if I still have the paperwork from when I bought it. See if I can dig up a part number.

I don't think its anything the local aftermarket stores will have.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well today is the day. I volunteered to be the person who picks up the meat from the processor after our annual Ranch hunt with my group of friends. That was before I realized just how much meat I would actually be hauling. I drove the trailer up there with empty coolers and it was not a big deal. But now I'm going to be returning with 2 Cow Elk, 5 Whitetail Bucks and 1 Doe. All de-boned, packaged and frozen in the coolers.

I wish there was a scale so I could weight it, but I'm sure its going to be heavy. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 Winter Package
47 Posts
Great thread, mine is the same color, and I found your looking for plastidip options... for the wheels and the grill. Maybe Ill switch it up and only do part of the rims, dunno either going to do the main surface and tape all of the recesses, or vise/versa.I don't want mine to mirror yours now that I have seen it. (It does look great though!)
Also sad to see your other car is a DSM, talon at that. I just got rid of my 2g Talon Panda (autocrosser, also highly modded) to get my subaru... Being a responsible dad is rough.
P.S. The whole time I lived with DSM's I wished I worked at a NAPA or similar... So many trips there already I might as well of had a timecard...
Are you on any of the DSM forums? Tooners, Talk...? I had the same name (here) as on both of them, although I had stayed away from typing for the last few years...
Keep up with this thread!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Great thread, mine is the same color, and I found your looking for plastidip options... for the wheels and the grill. Maybe Ill switch it up and only do part of the rims, dunno either going to do the main surface and tape all of the recesses, or vise/versa.I don't want mine to mirror yours now that I have seen it. (It does look great though!)
Also sad to see your other car is a DSM, talon at that. I just got rid of my 2g Talon Panda (autocrosser, also highly modded) to get my subaru... Being a responsible dad is rough.
P.S. The whole time I lived with DSM's I wished I worked at a NAPA or similar... So many trips there already I might as well of had a timecard...
Are you on any of the DSM forums? Tooners, Talk...? I had the same name (here) as on both of them, although I had stayed away from typing for the last few years...
Keep up with this thread!
Thanks for the mention on the rims. I love it and is still hanging on. But with winter right around the corner, I'm going to have to have my Winterforce tires mounted soon, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to respray them in the spring.

I'm right there with you on the Talon. Its currently down with a broken shift fork in my TRE transmission. It has no 3rd or 4th gear when I broke it at the drag strip. Its been down almost 3 years and did not get fixed this year because I'm also a new Dad. My Son just turned 7 months last month. I'm not sure what the future holds for the Talon. It might get fixed and sold in the spring. :-( The desire to drive it is no longer there and its a money pit as you well know.

I went by Ecl1psE5 and WhtEclipse705 on a few others. (Xceedspeed and WMDSM in MI and Tuners)

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 Winter Package
47 Posts
I am also a dad (almost x 2) thus the subbie, on my dsm's I did trans work over and over, finally I blew the budget and built a hardcore tranny myself with a mix of forged Evo parts and lots from jacks Transmissions, I could whip that thing outta the car in like a half hour by the time I got rid of it. Great fun those cars are, but I had to get rid of it before something else broke (again).
Your DSM looks great as well, clean man, I looked everywhere for the Talon 2gb bumper, ended up going with the 2gb eclipse cover/blk headlights, it fit my theme (Black and white)...
Keep up the good work, and the thread, sorry for jackin it off topic.
-Oh yeah I plasti dipped the grill and badges this weekend, that made me nervous, but came out great! I wanna do my rims, but only the "behind surface", dunno how to explain except I would tape off the main face of the rims, and the lip, and just paint the other surfaces, similar to the gold on the LLBean, but black, I wanted to Plasti dip those as well, but after seeing how that stuff works I doubt it would work with the tape as I am wanting.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,106 Posts
Use petroleum jelly and a small brush. After you clean the wheels, use a craft brush to brush on a light coat of petroleum jelly or similar grease. When the plasti sets, peel up the area with the jelly.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon
71 Posts
Great photos !
I am currently on the hunt for a clean "rust free" 2000-2004 Outback wagon with a
5 speed manual. Love the white with grey cloth, but I am pretty sure that was only available for 2000 MY.

The Gen 2 Outbacks are pretty hard to beat !
By far my favorite model years are 2000-2004 !

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
426 Posts
Great photos !
I am currently on the hunt for a clean "rust free" 2000-2004 Outback wagon with a
5 speed manual. Love the white with grey cloth, but I am pretty sure that was only available for 2000 MY.

The Gen 2 Outbacks are pretty hard to beat !
By far my favorite model years are 2000-2004 !
The grey cloth was available in all the Gen 2 Outbacks.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon
71 Posts
NO. Looking at the sales brochures from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.

White exterior with grey cloth interior was only available in 2000.

The following years white exterior got the tan/beige interior.

·
Registered
2005 Outback L.L. Bean, 3.0 H6 @ 85k and 2000 Outback Sedan Limited @ 206k
260 Posts
Got a chance today to use up the rest of my plasti dip, and decided to paint my grill. I figured there were very few other chrome pieces other then the headlights so why not. I actually like how it turned out. I decided to take it off the car and paint it on some cardboard.

What do you guy think? I really like the new look, its like its a different car.
This is what I was trying to do with mine, but the emblem had so many cracks in the stars that when i had taken the emblem off, it snapped in half...

Some carbon fiber, art time
and spray paint and I ended up with this:
While it isn't original, it is unique. I like it...

I am following this thread now... I think I am going to try that muffler, I want a little bit of audible sound from my H6. That tire foam is the next thing on my list to buy as I like the glossy black better than the matte. I am just not interested in clear coating them...

Good Stuff!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
@2k.jacob - Nice! I actually left the emblem on for the reason you just mentioned. I was using plastidip so when I was done I just peeled it off the emblem.

I still like that muffler a lot. Its just enough noise inside and outside. I bet on that H6 it would sound sweet! I think I still want to get an UEL Header to give it that suby growl like the WRX/STi.

We just started getting snow up here in Michigan so we will see how the salt screws with the plastidip on the rims. I'm really hoping it holds up.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
465 Posts
Great looking OB wagon. I'm a recent convert also and drive mine as a winter car too. Mine handles well in snow and storms. I keep the fluids changed and wash her weekly and keep a coat of Mothers Carnauba wax regularly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Man, its been awhile since I have really done anything to the car. Its still running great, but today I finally got some new treads. My super old Hankook summer tires were shot, and my Firestone Winterforce were on their last winter, so I had been just driving on them this spring. But the noise was horrible and I finally pulled the trigger on some new all seasons.

I did some research and decided to try some Continental TrueContact 225/60R16 tires in 98T (instead of 98H just because of availability)

Only been a few days, but already I can tell you they ride very nice and are so much more quiet then my worn out Winterforce tires. They are also a LRR tire, so I'm looking forward to seeing if they actually show up in my MPG.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=26TR6TRUEC&tab=Sizes

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Tiny update with my new tires. They have been very good in the rain, and its finally getting cold here in MI so hopefully try them in snow soon.

I only took pictures of the good side. Michigan winters are taking there toll and rust is getting out of control on the drivers side. lol

Attachments

61 - 74 of 74 Posts