Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would list my mods just in case anyone has any questions about their installs,

2002 2.5l Impreza Outback Sport (OBS)

Cobb cold air intake- A true cold air intake that goes from the throttle body right into the passenger side fender with an inline PRM washable air filter

Perrin lightened crank pulley- Only like 1.2lbs as compared to the stock ~5.5lbs. Less rotational crank mass=quicker revving

Adjustbale rear sway bar 20/21/22mmw/ Helix solid endlinks - Wow, what a difference over the stock 13mm bar, no kidding.

Whiteline front sway bar

Prodrive Blue lowering springs

Borla 4th generation stainless header- Cannot beat the sound, bar none. As for performance, well did I say you can't beat the sound?

Cobb high flow cat-section (Only on for short times due to being way loud)

Stromung dual tip stainless cat back- One of the very best cat backs for the impreza, deep rumble. No fart can noise

Hella 500 fog lights w/Kartboy mounts- Much better light reflecting. And Prodrive shifter knob, Kenwood Excelon CD player, Kartboy exhaust hangers, Subaru center gauge pod w/Autometer gauges, Scan Gauge II, tint, de-badged, GT Spec radiator shroud, homemade engine grounding, Ungo MS 2000 alarm, Motul Gear 300 in the tranny and rear diff, bronze Rota Slipstream 16 x 7's, PBR Metal Master front pads, custom front and back seat covers with 'Subaru' embroidered in the fronts, blah, blah, blah...

·
Registered
turbo ej22t STI 5spd sport
20 Posts
get a twin turbo kit and you well not have lag. like my old kit.:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Brian, your car looks and sounds great. And those twin turbos look very interesting.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
Brian- have you had any cracking problems with the Borlas? I've been researching them and they seem to crack alot, might just be bad installs though.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
If you are considering headers look at the stuff from Cobb Tuning too. www.cobbtuning.com The headers themselves are $650 or with cat $750. They also offer a full Stage 2 package which includes Intake and Full exhaust with the headers for $1700. I would like to get the Stage 2 once I am out of warranty. :D Drool!!

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
I have heard that the Cobb Equal length headers soften the rumble significantly (haven't heard a sound clip yet). I love, let me restate that, LOOOOOOOOOVEE the rumble of the Borlas. I'm willing to risk parts of my warranty to get that sound.

I'll definitely be picking up the Cobb intake the day I hit 60,000 though. I've also got my eye on the stage3 brakes and stage1 suspension...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hvlwnc, the cracking was with the older generation Borlas. I have a gen IV and have had no issues of fittment or anything. Yeah, you can go spend almost 1K with the equal length Cobb header (yes, after a jet coat it's about that much) Or you can get a Borla and have a meaner sound, stainless steel (Cobb is not) and pay 1/4 the price.
If you guys have never heard a 2.5 N/A Subaru with a cat back and Borla, your'e missing something. All I have to say is the sound is equivalent to a rally car. Brian

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
I have read that if going purely for sound Borla is the choice, but Cobb does provide a noticeable tone vs. stock, AND the performance gains, which to my understanding Borla does not offer much of. Yes, the coated w/cat from Cobb at nearly 1k is steep, that is for sure.

I am wondering what mine would sound like with the Cobb headers and cat since I have the larger custom midpipe and WRX axleback. Hmm *scrambling to check for room in my budget*

I do have a birthday coming up. HA! :D

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To add to my list of mods...I just finished off my whole exhaust now with a stainless high flow cat. It fit perfect, and had the two bungs for the 02 sensors. I am trying it out (and will buy) from a local Subaru club friend. It is Cobb's first cat section they made before encorporating it in their header setup.

Wow, it sounds great. Can't hear it at idle and at partial throttle compared to the rest of the setup, but then hold on to your socks. It is not for everyone since it is quite loud under certain conditions, but after 3500rpms it pulls hard.

Now I have a full stainless 2 1/4" exhaust. I'm happy. Only if I had the technology to get sound clips up for ya'll to hear. Brian

Borla header
Cobb high flow cat section
Stromung SS cat back w/dual tips

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,121 Posts
Vroom VROOM!!!

Brian if you OBS sounds any better than it did before, I'll be very impressed! :D

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, Kevin, it's sweet! But like I said above, it's not for everyone. It may even get tiresome for me (not). It amplifies the boxer sound even more, and has more pop sounds, but still at a low rumble. I'm sure you can here it from your place across the way if you opened your window!!!:p Brian

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5L
26 Posts
ok this might sound stupid but i'll risk it. what is the size of the sway bar in the back of a 2002 legacy Outback? and would a WRX's fit? or any other larger diamerter ones. just to reduce the sway in the back in courners. also has anyone had a strut tower bar in an legacy before? was there enough difference to fork out the $178 for cobbs? Thanks for the newbi info

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bringin' this back from the dead since others are posting mods!!:cool:

I have truly done a lot to my car whether or not it reads that way. I have really enjoyed playing with my car over the last three years. 32.5k miles and counting. See you later peeps. Brian

Oh, and my mods are listed at the first post in this thread.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Long time no see!

Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I edited the original post for my springs.

Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny you shall post that...I just bought my first ever digital camera and finally uploaded some pics into the gallery of my own. It will be a bit to populate many pics of things done to my car.

Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just ordered some Prodrive springs for the little red wagon! And a little exterior cosmetic piece too.

I'll keep you posted.

Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rear sway bar endlinks added!

Yipee!!

Also adjusted the rear bar to a stiffer feel. Now for a bigger front sway bar.

To the top.

Brian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts