Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Losiho said:
Loopy, as SubaH6 has said, Wheels mag achieved 0-100km in 7.6 seconds with the 3.0R. Wheels do their performance tests with half a tank of fuel and a passenger.

Your engine is still breaking in, give it time. There's no way any Maxima or 528i can break into the 7s for a 0-100km time.
Thanks Losiho, just wondering how many km did you do before your engine was fully run in?

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
244 Posts
loopy said:
Thanks Losiho, just wondering how many km did you do before your engine was fully run in?
I wish I had a brand new H6 engine so I could answer that question Loopy :( . I think SubaH6 said his engine is starting to free up after 16,000km.

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
So I guess I will hit the road and keep on driving.
:roadtrip:

Losiho will you be trading up soon or will you stick with your car for now?

Jimmbo, you mentioned before you don't plan to take your car off road so are you serious about lowering the car? I wonder if its possible to swap the liberty suspension over?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Losiho said:
...Your engine is still breaking in, give it time. There's no way any Maxima or 528i can break into the 7s for a 0-100km time.
While that may be true, you must also consider that none of us are going to be dragging our cars to 100km/h.

What most of us are probably interested in is the 0-60 or 70km/h time.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Re: 0 to 100km/h

danclark said:
Actually, "0 to 100km/h" is the same as "0 to 62 mph". :D

Regards,

Dan.
I know, and my point still stands.
60-70km/h ... ~38-45 mph.
I doubt any of us are lining up our Outbacks at stoplights and gunning them down the street much past those speeds, and with the reported lack of low-end "umph", chances are we won't be winning many races until our AT's get up into 3rd gear.

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Re: Re: 0 to 100km/h

FMGreen said:

I doubt any of us are lining up our Outbacks at stoplights and gunning them down the street much past those speeds, and with the reported lack of low-end "umph", chances are we won't be winning many races until our AT's get up into 3rd gear.
I never think of my Outback as a hotrod or anything, it is a SUV. My issue with the car is that when one gets quoted a figure of 30 ~ 40 KW more than the cars mentioned, it is natural to assume that the car should perform as it said it should or otherwise I feel cheated in a sense. If I know I have a small output car I would not even bother to make these noises. :blahblah:

With the AT in 3rd gear... I actually never reeled any1 of them in... the distance remained the same :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,618 Posts
Hi Loopy,

I feel my engine is just starting to free up, with close to 8000km on it now. IF the car can get close to the Wheels Magazine figures it should blow away any XR6 apart from the Turbo, and Commodore apart from the SS or above. I do feel it's improving all the time. It quite happily dragged off a Ford Falcon taxi yesterday which definitely suprised the taxi's driver. I find you can get very good acceleration using manual mode, about half throttle and shifting up at about 5500RPM..

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
loopy said:
So I guess I will hit the road and keep on driving.
:roadtrip:

Losiho will you be trading up soon or will you stick with your car for now?

Jimmbo, you mentioned before you don't plan to take your car off road so are you serious about lowering the car? I wonder if its possible to swap the liberty suspension over?
Not at this early stage but down the track we will yes.
My mates looking into fitting 18" wheels on his forester XT then it will have to be lowered.
I would asume the liberty struts should bolt straight in,then we need to fit 45 series tyres then lower it another inch or 2.

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
FMGreen,

I'll look at my Wheel's magazine test and see what the incremental times were for the Outback 3.0R test, ie 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60kmh etc. I still think they were impressive times from memory. I will see if I have any other incremental times from other makes of similar pedigree to make a comparison, but don't forget they maybe only Oz spec vehicles.

I've "dragged" a few off at the lights to about 60-80kmh and I haven't been beaten yet! Admittedly I pick my mark, no Porsches and WRX's. :D

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Jondalar said:
Hi Loopy,

I feel my engine is just starting to free up, with close to 8000km on it now. IF the car can get close to the Wheels Magazine figures it should blow away any XR6 apart from the Turbo, and Commodore apart from the SS or above. I do feel it's improving all the time. It quite happily dragged off a Ford Falcon taxi yesterday which definitely suprised the taxi's driver. I find you can get very good acceleration using manual mode, about half throttle and shifting up at about 5500RPM..

Cheers,

Karl
I only just finished polishing and waxing the car using Meguiars clear coat polish and then the canuba wax... its sooo shiny and u can almost eat off it, if you don't mind the canuba wax. So i will leave it there for a while... looks like rain in the next few days.:D

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I test drove a new 2.5i today. They didn't have any 3.0's or LL Beans or XT's and said they should be receiving shipments of them by next month!
But they did have about 10 2.5i's for sale, and another 7 or so already sold! They are the #1 Subaru dealer in the nation based on number of cars sold.

So I only got to drive it for about 5 miles, but it was nice, especially compared to my 1st Gen. '97!
The steering felt nice and smooth and the brakes were like butter.
The power was decent, but not excellent by any means. I accelerated all the way up a large hill though, I could feel the torque really kicking in around 40-50 mph.
I fooled around with the Man-umatic mode thing for about 10 seconds before I realized I had no idea what I was doing, so I stopped that before I broke something!
I'm not really sure what to say. Considering the enormous difference between it and my Outback, I was totally impressed.

The interior did seem sorta "plastic." The entire center console is all plastic and it looks a little tackier than I would like to see, I'm sure the 3.0 and LL Beans are better looking.

I took a few photo's, I'll edit them in later when I get them resized.

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
FMGreen,

I looked at my Wheel's magazine tests and found out that they weren't for 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60kmh etc. They start at 0-60 and then upwards, but they still give a good indication of the lower speeds.

Loopy had posted the figures for the Outback 3.0R from this test a while back but I'll repost what he posted below. The Ouback 3.0R does acquit itself very well off the line as can be seen by the 0-60 times as compared to other makes. I looked back through a couple of my Wheel's magazines that I have and found that the 3.0R is very quick compared to other makes of similar price, power/weight ratio etc.

Anyway heres what Loopy posted:

track: Oran park, temp: 10 degrees, conditions: dry
auto 5 speed
0-60km/h: 3.8
0-80km/h: 5.5
0-100km/h: 7.6
0-120km/h: 10.8
0-140km/h: 14.2
0-400m: 15.6 @ 149km/h

wait there is more

80km/h - 120km/h: 4.8

now compare that with a BMW X5 4.4

track: Oran park, temp: 10 degrees, conditions: dry
auto 5 speed
0-60km/h: 3.5
0-80km/h: 5.4
0-100km/h: 7.8
0-120km/h: 10.8
0-140km/h: 14.3
0-400m: 15.6 @ 146km/h

80km/h - 120km/h: 5.2

and then compare that with the new BMW 530i

track: Oran park, temp: 15 degrees, conditions: dry
auto 5 speed
0-60km/h: 4
0-80km/h: 6
0-100km/h: 8.2
0-120km/h: 11.3
0-140km/h: 14.4
0-400m: 15.9 @ 147km/h

80km/h - 120km/h: 5.3

plus the new E320

track: Oran park, temp: 15 degrees, conditions: dry
auto 5 speed
0-60km/h: 3.9
0-80km/h: 5.9
0-100km/h: 8.4
0-120km/h: 11.4
0-140km/h: 14.8
0-400m: 16 @ 145km/h

80km/h - 120km/h: 5.4

I forgot to bring to work these magazines so I could post other times from other makes, but from what I remember the 3.0R absolutely murders the local products like the Toyota Camry V6 3.0lt, GMH Holden Commodore V6 3.8lt, Mitsubishi Magna V6 3.0lt etc.

There is a listing in the back of the Wheel's magazine which shows all the makes and models of all cars on sale in Australia. This list gives most basic info like price, engine size, number of cylinders, auto/manual, 0-100 times and 0-400mt times etc. From looking at these figures there is only ONE 3.0lt 6 cyl. motor that has more power than the 3.0R and that is the Honda NSX. Don't know about the rest of the world, but that is quite an achievement!:D

·
Registered
2004 Outback H6 3.0 VDC
6 Posts
the only thing i like about the new 3.0R is some of the interior styling and volume controls on the wheel, the body is fugly.. ;)

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,618 Posts
Yeah Pharcyde I can see how owners of the previous version may find them less to their liking, personally I never got one til the 3.0R came out because of the same thing, didn't like the looks of the previous versions.

·
Registered
2005 L.L.Bean Wgn
17 Posts
Hello,
We've had our LL Bean 3.0R for 3 weeks and about 1500 miles. The ride, perfomance and quality are top notch. We bought the '05 over a substantially discounted '04 because it looked much better to us and the performance difference was dramatic. Only gripes are picky: the tranny seems to have trouble deciding what gear it wants somtimes but not often. Also, when starting from a dead stop, there is about a half second delay before acceleration. I can only attribute it to the drive-by-wire feature of the throttle. Once under way, throttle response is excellent. All in all, I believe this car compares favorably with any luxury make. We drove everything from BMW to Lexus to the Dodge Magnum to Infinity and Nissan. We bought the Outback and still think we made the right choice. MHO
Cheers
JGrady
Galveston, Texas

·
Registered
'05 3.0 R LLBean
12 Posts
We picked up the 2005 3.0 R LLB last week, and now have about 300 miles on it. We reluctantly traded in our trusty '99 LTD OBW, but so far, my wife and I are very happy with the purchase. We are an older retired couple, so the performance specs were not our primary concern. What sold us on this model was the luxury feel and the much more comfortable ride vs. the '99.

Though not an exhaustive list, here are some of our first impressions of the new beaner...

What we like:
- tighter fit and feel of quality/luxury...small things like the doors open and shut easily & quietly, the leather seats are thicker and more comfortable, the ride is smooth yet the car feels responsive, the sound system is much improved. It's a lot more fun to drive!
- Although there seem to be some contrary opinions on this site, the 5 speed tranny seems much smoother, and the sport/manual shift options are a nice touch when driving in the hills (or just when you want to feel more in control).
- There were a few small pleasant surprises...like the dual trip odometers (which link to the dual mpg display on the trip computer)...the drink holders were moved off the dash to the center console so you can now put in a CD while they are in use!...the cruise "on" button was moved to the cruise control itself, so no more fumbling for the button on the dash...the gages are much easier to read...the audio controls mounted on the steering wheel...the larger single piece moon roof is awesome and produced much less wind noise than the dual moon roof on the '99.

Picky little things we don't like:
- I miss the weather band on the old radio...we used it a lot here in upstate NY where the weather can change dramatically and quickly.
- The wife thinks the interior is beautiful, but a little too light for my taste. It will be fine for driving around town, but not sure how it will look a few years from now after several ski seasons and hauling chain saws and tools down to the country property.
- We didn't compare the actual interior dimensions, and although I haven't noticed, the wife swears the interior seems smaller to her.
- The heavy tinting on the top of the windshield inhibits visibility of the stop lights (particularly when wearing sun glasses). This may only be a problem in NY where they like placing the stop lights on cables overhead in the middle of the intersection.
- Though not on our '99 either, was hoping one of the 12V connections would remain on even with the ignition off.

We'll be leaving on a several thousand mile road trip in a couple weeks, so I should have a much more extensive report after we return. So far, we're lovin' it!!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
souhrada said:

I miss the weather band on the old radio...we used it a lot here in upstate NY where the weather can change dramatically and quickly.
I like the weather band on my 98, but I haven't herd many other people say they like having it. I'll bet a lot of owners "never" use that band at all. I love it because I bought the car for camping and generally being out of sight of a television screen.

Too bad all the stations these days are that wah-wah-wah computer generated voice, I miss hearing real people.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback LLBean
78 Posts
When I decided to trade-in my 01 Acura MDX, I ordered the Atlantic Blue 05 XT limited. The dealership have the car all clean up and ready when me and my family arrived. We test drove the car and after we got back to the dealership I asked the salesman if we we also test drive the 3.0R sitting on the lot. My wife and kids immediately noticed the smoothness and ride quality of the 3.0R against the XT, and right then and there we know that the LLBean Outback is the one we'll drive home.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts