Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Outback XT Test Drive and Review

FINALLY!!! Last night I finally got to go and drive the car I was always meant to have, a 2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT. I'm going to go ahead and skip around some parts as they'd be redundant as to my 2005 LL Bean Review. Please refer to that thread for any additional info not found in this one.

Let me share a story about the drive before I go into it. When I first sat in the car with my salesman he mentioned that he just got done driving it before I had arrived. I asked how he liked it and he said that its a great car although he'd rather have a 3.0R model. But I'll get to that later...

First off let me say that I will be reviewing the performance aspects of the XT as I've reviewed just about everything else in the aforementioned review and nothing has really changed from just that. Anyway, honestly this car blew my mind!!! For the size and weight of this car it has absolute staggering acceleration once you hit boost (at about 2700 RPM). It is soo quick to get up and go, a vast difference in comparison to the new H6 engine. And there is no real noticeable turbo lag either, you ain't driven no WRX here ;) Next is the 5-speed manual transmission, I've never been a big fan of Subaru's manual trannies (except for the STi 6-speed) but this new one is a great improvement over the previous versions. Gear changes are plenty smooth and the clutch action perfectly complements it. It is almost too easy to power shift as the action is just so slick between shifts. Also this car is VERY nimble, for its weight you really don't feel like your drivng a big wagon but rather a smaller car like a WRX. I will say though that the tires (RE-92's of course) leave much to be desired. They're not hard to change of course, probably the best starter performance mod you can make to any Subaru with those tires ;)

Other than the tires the only downside is that the engine is fairly loud. Under boost it makes a high pitched whining sound that is somewhat annoying although its nothing the radio can't solve :D

Overall I'd have to say that this is one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. It is a true marvel on just how well it is put together and performs on the road. If they would have had this car a year ago when I bought my current Outback, I would have had a second thought about picking one up. Now going back to what my salesman was saying about the 3.0R models. He went on about how he likes the 3.0R models better because the engine is far more refined and the drivetrain is just soo much smoother. I decided I wasn't going to agree with him even before I turned the key in the XT :rolleyes: although after the drive was over I totally agreed with him. Thats not to say that I'd rather have a 3.0R model by any means, but the XT is a serious sport wagon where the 3.0R models are more for luxury of course. And with the $4,000 difference between the base XT 5MT and the LL Bean I think I'll just stick with getting an XT.

So overall my conclusion is if you want to have fun, of course get an XT. If fun comes second to refinement and luxury they get a 3.0R model. BTW I'm going to start another thread to compare the XT to the 3.0R models in the Car Lounge so stop by and discuss there as well :)

Any and all questions are welcome! :D

Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
Re: My 2005 Outback XT Test Drive and Review

Hero Boots said:
Overall I'd have to say that this is one of the funniest cars I've ever driven.
What's funny about it?

Does it crack jokes every time it speeds past a V70 or an X5?

Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: My 2005 Outback XT Test Drive and Review

FMGreen said:

What's funny about it?

I'm an illiterate retard, I'll edit that to say "funnest." ;)

Thanks for pointing that out Steve :)

Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
What's funny about it?

Can we get that as an optional extra ????

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Kevin how do the RE92's compare to Yokohama Geolandar G900's? Do you get those over there?

Discussion Starter #7
Jondalar said:
Kevin how do the RE92's compare to Yokohama Geolandar G900's? Do you get those over there?
No we do not have Geolanders on the Outback, but they are standard equipment on every Forester. The Outback and all other Subarus (except Forester) all have Bridgestone Potenza RE-92's standard... unfortunately :(

Registered
Hero Boots said:

No we do not have Geolanders on the Outback, but they are standard equipment on every Forester. The Outback and all other Subarus (except Forester) all have Bridgestone Potenza RE-92's standard... unfortunately :(
That's a shame about the Geolandars.. I hooned up a mountain yesterday and I must say I LOVE the handling of the Outback, had the whole car sliding out going around tight corners, very controlled. :D Obviously the Geolandars are not as grippy as a full on performance road tire, but they do great for a compromise tire.

Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
I spoke to a dealership that says he should have a blue XT (base model) in any day now. Sounds great, although I like that panoramic dual-pane moonroof, it's not really worth the $2400 price (invoice) increase from the base XT.

Am I right the only difference between the XT and the XT limited is the 8-way power driver seat, the dual pane moonroof, and leather seating.

The only thing that I'm interested would be the moonroof but not for $2400. Anything else?

I found this website pretty good in disecting the new Outback, not sure if it's been posted before:

Outback Link

Jay

Discussion Starter #10
Jay the only different between the XT and XT Ltd is the Leather and sunroof, the 8-way power seat is standard.

I completely agree with you on the sunroof thing, it is by far the coolest feature on the new Outback although I don't want to have to buy it with the leather and especially with that hefty price increase :(

Also the link to the Cars101 Site has been posted here many times before. I share a great deal of info with that site and it has become one of my top resources. Although I never recieved a response, I actually emailed them the 2005 Outback invoice prices as this site was actually the first site that had them on the entire internet. Heck I recieved the invoice prices (and regular MSRP prices) before Subaru officially released just the MSRP prices. Boy did the guys over at NASIOC and everywhere else get a kick out of that! :D The guy with the lowly Outback gets all the new prices before anyone else on the internet, say it ain't so! :rolleyes: ;)

Registered
Well I can see why you guys are liking the 2.5XT MT over the 3.0R, it's actually cheaper or the same as a 2.5i Limited Auto. I guess to some extent it's the same here, the 2.5i Premium Auto costs slightly more than a base 3.0R, just not sure why if that's the case, your 3.0R's are so much pricier than the 3.0R there.. Although I guess your 3.0R VDC is more highly specified in some areas.

Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
I went and scoured the brochure last night and there are also some differences between the XT and XT Ltd that that CARS101 website doesn't mention and the brochure says the 8-way power drivers seat is standard in BOTH models.

2 things that I also saw different:

XT has manual Climate control settings
XT LTD has a dual zone Auto Climate Control settings

A slight different trim level. the LTD has titatium AND Wood trim whereas the base XT just has titanium

Of course, still the only thing that i would love to get in the base XT would be the dual pane moonroof... The base doesn't even get the regular moonroof like the 3.0R sedan does... Subaru should make that an option so folks could just get a base XT with a moonroof without forced to get leather and the other stuff.

Jay

Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT LTD
Jay H said:
A slight different trim level. the LTD has titatium AND Wood trim whereas the base XT just has titanium
I keep looking, but I just can't seem to find the wood trim. Hmm, maybe its under the seat?

Jay H said:
Of course, still the only thing that i would love to get in the base XT would be the dual pane moonroof... The base doesn't even get the regular moonroof like the 3.0R sedan does... Subaru should make that an option so folks could just get a base XT with a moonroof without forced to get leather and the other stuff.

Jay
I've been driving mine for a week now (upgrade from base model '02) and I have to say that it is a great upgrade. The huge moonroof is really nice and the leather seats seem to be much more supportive than the standard cloth. The climate control is a big plus for my wife and I too as she can crank up the heat on her side and I don't get too warm. Oh yeah and the turbo is great for sandbagging rice rockets at stoplights.

Registered
J_Kirby said:

I keep looking, but I just can't seem to find the wood trim. Hmm, maybe its under the seat?

Are you serious?? Of course it's only fake wood, grey color in the Japanese made Australian versions.. at least you guys get wood colored wood! Makes no sense to me using grey wood with cream colored seats

Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
Now Karl, you know that when wood is left to weather it goes grey. So maybe there is method in their madness. They want you to think that is real wood, by crikey, it even goes grey when left to weather so it must be real!:bonk:

Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
Well, the dual zone climate control is wrongly specced in the brochure, all flavors of the XT have dual climate control, either that or they messed up my production base XT.

personally, I'd leave the wood in the forests!

Jay

Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
I test drove an XT tonight!

And the test drive entered me into a drawing to win a free 2.5i! Woo!

Van Bortel Subaru is the greatest place on the planet.

I will discuss more about the drive on Sunday night, I'm crazy busy this weekend...and by then I will know if I have won a new Outback! (but there are probably going to be over 1,000 names in the drawing...so my chances are slim!)

Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT LTD
Jondalar said:
Are you serious?? Of course it's only fake wood, grey color in the Japanese made Australian versions.. at least you guys get wood colored wood! Makes no sense to me using grey wood with cream colored seats
Nope, no wood here, not even grey.

Registered
2012 Ruby Red Outback 3.6 LTD, Nav, BT, iPod/iPhone interface, Sat Radio, etc...thinking of adding the kitchen sink ;)
Wood, reviews, etc...

I think the wood trim may only be in certain paint/upholstery combos (Taupe, I think). My base 2.5i wagon (gold/grey/taupe interior) has it around the console and on the doors. Just a little bit of classiness, and very realistic, too.

-KarenM-
http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2005outbackreviews.html

Registered
2000 OB Wagon, 2.5L auto
for the XT owners, what DON'T you like about the XT? what areas are weak points on the XT or that needs improvement?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts