Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
10,906 Posts
My 2008's older brother - back when the Limited model had a 5 speed MT option!

The deferred maintenance you found told the opposite story of the cleanliness of the engine bay - I'm wondering if it was cleaned up only for the sale.

What's with the exposed wire above the mirror control?

Good luck with this project!

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Lastly, on my way back home the airbag light came on as well! What the... I don't know where to begin with that, it hasn't happened on this car until just now.
At least this part of it is pretty straightforward:

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Mine is the airbag light on the dashboard, though...not the overhead console. Would this still apply to my situation?
Yes it probably would. The circuit board in the overhead console usually has bad solder joints in the LED drive circuits. Their function is considered important enough that it is checked at every startup by illuminating the console LEDs temporarily and observing this drive circuit for trickle current driving them, indicating the LEDs are probably working. If it can't see current, the diagnostic fails and you get the red dash light for the duration of that drive cycle. Then it might go away on the next start; it's just run as a one-time diagnostic at startup.

Cold solder joints tend to come and go with temperature, humidity, contaminants, etc. A lot of it has to do with getting rid of Pb in board assembly soldering processes and moving to Sn over a decade ago; this changeover was badly executed by many manufacturers in the beginning.

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
I found this total mess of garbage underneath it.
Nowhere near a record for these forums:

First I cleaned up the existing soldering points with rubbing alcohol. Then I applied a very thin layer of flux on each soldering point, then gently applied heat and carefully fed in some really thin silver bearing solder.
I wanted it to look nice, but at the same time I was worried about melting the LED's and other stuff. So, I hoped this would be okay! Turns out I am just what I thought I was: adequate. My soldering job could certainly look MUCH prettier if I were better at it, but, I'm okay with how it turned out.
Good job - and I note that the solder you used is a "real man" solder, 62/36/2, with genuine Pb in it, so you'll get some longevity out of it, not like this wimpy Sn solder that caused the problem in the first place. Gosh, I've procrastenated fixing mine; if I pull it out maybe I could drop it off to you this weekend for repair .... :)

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Was lucky today to have even more time to clean up the valve covers. I put them in a tub of hot water, poured in a bunch of simple green and dish soap - then spent the better part of an hour just scrubbing and scrubbing with brass bristle brushes. Was a lot of work!
This makes it a lot easier, especially if you have a tray that allows you to immerse them.

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
I have berrymans, and use it in my ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning carbs when I need it but diesel cuts grease and grime just as good, or better, than berrymans and $34.99 a gallon vs $3.89 (local price for diesel) makes it a no brainer.
Thanks for the tip; I likewise have Berrymans cleaner but no ultrasonic cleaner, but have wondered if there's anything less expenive or flammable that I could use.

What's a carburetor, BTW? :)

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
I'll have to cure it and I'm thinking I'll just do it by installing it instead of putting it in the oven.
You could also put a heat gun into the openings and run it for a while - this would save the dings and scratches on the uncured paint that it's going to suffer while installing it.

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
May 2021:
There are a lot of cool cars out there. Limiting yourself to one brand just limits the potential fun you could be having.
June 2022:
.... both my wife and I are driving the car because her BRAND NEW 2021 Kia, evidently, is a POS and is having major issues right now - so more miles on mine ....
Only 13 months!

Yes, I know. I'm being bad here. :devilish::devilish: But do take advantage of Kia's lengthened warranty period, as it sounds like you'll be needing it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts