Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie my 2006 outback just had a complete rebuild, she has been in the shop over a month and today the dealer of the used car lot said come drive. So I did, he told me before I came he test drove her and her idle was really low. Then he told me she she through a code misfire on cylinder 4. So we went for a drive, she lacked serious power and bogged when I gave her throttle bad. He said go drive her a little break her in maybe that will help. So I took her about 2 miles and came to a stop light and she died. Then another and she died, I took her back to the dealer and she died turning in. I opened the hood and I suppose it looked pretty normal. Then I looked under her and I saw a bunch of drips, put my hand under there and it was fresh oil alot I must add, getting all over the ground. Possibly coolant in the mix. I am freaking out. The dealer said he would take care of it. Seems like timing issues, he mentioned having to heele coil the timing belt tensioner because it stripped and obviously the mechanic working on my car is having issues. What should do feel is happening to my Maggie ?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Don't totally freak out yet. Only partial freak-out required.

When you disconnect the battery in one of these, they forget how to idle. They have to learn from scratch the next time they get started. It can take a while, and there are mistakes where the idle is really low and the car stalls out and has to be re-started.

So.. give it a little time to learn a stable idle. Usually happens in minutes-to-hours.

As far as drips on the ground look carefully- this time of year there should be lots of water dropping out from the air conditioner, and that is completely normal. Make sure you're correctly identifying what you're seeing. If you're also seeing oil or coolant then there is a serious problem that they haven't fixed properly.

Even professionals occasionally need to use a heli-coil insert for the tensioner mount. It's a totally valid way of fixing that problem.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited (Wifes), 2009 3.0R Limited 125k (Mine)
241 Posts
Sounds to me a hack(s) of a mechanic worked on your car. Just the fact they had you come test drive it in the current condition speaks volumes of the repair facility. With a fresh rebuild it should not leak oil and other fluids and should idle within seconds. Without seeing it who knows what all is wrong. Sounds much more than problematic. Wish you luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts