Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB Premium with a 2.5L engine and a M/T
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchase a 2013 OB Premium last week, which came equipped with a standard "Type A" audio system. Surprisingly, the OEM audio system sounds pretty good. The only hiccup I’ve encounter so far is with MP3 audio files played on a CD-R. First off the H/U takes awhile to read the CD-R and secondly the folders do not display in the proper sequence (i.e. folder 1 is displayed as folder 7). Has anybody run into this problem? If so can the H/U be flashed to correct the problem?

Side questions;
1) Who makes Subaru’s Type A H/U? Panasonic, Kenwood or etc.?
2) Does the Harman Karmen H/U (Audio Type B) sound a lot better than the Subaru’s base H/U (Audio Type B).

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
The lag time from reading the CD is common due to the unit verfiying information on the CD matches the table of contents of the CD. An aftermarket player probably will take as long, as well as the OEM unit in an Limited.

As for the manufacturer of your unit, I believe its a Clarion, though I could be wrong. It changes over the years as well as between trim lines. I know that my '12 Limited is a Panasonic. You next question about if the upgrade sounds better. You'll probably get as many answers as those that answer. Some think it's great, some mediocre, and some horrible even on it's best day. Most people with a base or premium model tend to agree that the add on tweeter from the dealership is a good start in terms of upgrades.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
The 2013 Premium comes with the tweeter kit installed, so not much to upgrade there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Yes my 2013 OB comes with twitters installed on the top of the dash board. The 2005 OBXT that I traded in for the 2013 OB had the best sounding OEM H/U and speakers I have ever heard. Does anybody know who MFR'ed the 05 OBXT 6-disc H/U?

2) Back to my original question, does anybody know how to fix/correct my 2013 OB H/U from displaying the incorrect MP3 folder number?

3) Does Subaru's OEM under the seat subwoofer help fill in the lower base that the door speakers cannot generate or does it muttle the lows.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I'm not 100% but some of the older head units were built by McIntosh and is generally considered very good equipment. The speakers may or may not have been built by them also.

Since I have a '12 with an aftermarket I cannot give you an answer to your original question. I would see if your burner didn't somehow re-arrange the tracks. I would try it out on another car, perhaps at the dealership or even a buddy that you work with.

The factory sub in our OB is in the rear so I cannot comment directly but it does OK for my wife. It doesn't get turned up too often since she could care less about the volume level with our daughter in the car. If it's designed to compliment the OEM setup it should be set to pick up where the door speakers are crossed over and should play the frequencies below that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My MP3 CD-R Folders display correctly on my wife’s 07 Toyota Sienna's OEM H/U, a 2010 Pioneer aftermarket H/U and on a number of other home and automotive audio CD players I have used over the years. It’s no big deal, but it would be nice if the folders displayed correctly. I also need to test a USB memory stick and an iPod to see if my OB's H/U has any problems with these devises.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thought about my MP3 Folder display problem: I ripped and burned my MP3 music files to either a data or audio CD-R using MS Vista and 7 Media Players. Should I try burning an MP3 CD-R using iTunes because the 2013 OB's H/U is programmed to interface with Apple's portable audio devices (i.e. iPods, iTouches and IPhones)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts