Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I live in Murphy, NC and we travel on twisty roads a lot. I’ve abused our Outback on several occasions carrying firewood, our ‘Subee’ did fine, no unusual noises, but I did compress the heck out of the rear shocks and have developed a squeak in one of the shock towers.

I want to keep our Subee for a long time and I’m ready to invest in new shocks.

Which brand would you recommend? I’ve used KYB in the past and liked them. I want a slightly stiffer shock to counter body roll on our roads here.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jackmci01 in Murphy, NC

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the forums @jackmci01,

I have been extremely happy with my Bilstein B6 shocks.

You may find a cheaper price @RockAuto....

Defintely replace the rubber bits... i.e. strut mounts/top hats, etc.. They will be rock hard, especially the fronts.

An option to help stiffen up the rear are Rallitek's Overload springs. Slightly stiffer, and ad +0.4 in height to reduce the 'saggy butt' appearance.

Upgrading to a 20mm Rear Sway Bar would also help reduce body roll...

C.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R Ltd RIP 2006 Baja Turbo
118 Posts
Miles on car?
I agree with Chris about the sway bar upgrade. At least, inspect and upgrade the bushings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forums @jackmci01,

I have been extremely happy with my Bilstein B6 shocks.

You may find a cheaper price @RockAuto....

Defintely replace the rubber bits... i.e. strut mounts/top hats, etc.. They will be rock hard, especially the fronts.

An option to help stiffen up the rear are Rallitek's Overload springs. Slightly stiffer, and ad +0.4 in height to reduce the 'saggy butt' appearance.

Upgrading to a 20mm Rear Sway Bar would also help reduce body roll...

C.
Thank you Chris for sharing your knowledge about how best to upgrade my suspension. By the way my Subee has 90k, and the squeak I hear might be the sway bar brackets. What is a good material to grease up those brackets without breaking down the rubber? My wife complains a lot about that squeak and being retired/ fixed budget, a new car is not my best option. Ha ha ha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miles on car?
I agree with Chris about the sway bar upgrade. At least, inspect and upgrade the bushings.
Hello Duncan, our Subee has 90k miles. There’s a squeak that has alluded me for the last few years that I think is coming from the suspension as it appears on certain turns or when going over a speed bump.

I’m happy going with Bilstein shocks as they are top shelf in my opinion.

Also will consider the shock spring helpers Chris mentions. We use our Subee like a small truck and as I said I’ve abused her hauling firewood on several occasions.

I love the CVT tranny, and around here my paddle shifters are used a lot. I did a tranny service at 50K miles, where approx. 1/2 of the 13 qts of tranny fluid was replaced. I’ve also keep my diffs in fresh oil.
By doing the shocks Ihope to get another 50-60k miles out of her.
My front belt is coming up for renewal. I check it often for any signs of wear. My assumption is that the tension wheel would also be replaced. I don’t like going to dealers on stuff like that, because my closest ones are either Asheville or Chattanooga from Murphy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duncan, also I agree about doing the bushings, funny thing when I did check with Kelly Subaru in Chattanooga they were out of stock on them. I wonder if Rock Auto might be an option. Any thoughts?
Much obliged, Jackmci01

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R Ltd RIP 2006 Baja Turbo
118 Posts
I'd highly recommend you do the OE sway bar upgrade.

If not, dont do OE bushing if you want less rear end roll.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd highly recommend you do the OE sway bar upgrade.

If not, dont do OE bushing if you want less rear end roll.
Hello Duncan & Chris.
You both have been a great deal of help today. I will research where I can get the 20mm SB with new bushings. I read the link you sent and I think I’m capable of doing that upgrade. I’m 73 BTW and still like to crawl under the hood, ha ha ha or rear end in this case.

Cheers!
Jackmci01

1 - 11 of 11 Posts