Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just wanted to share some carnage from a wreck I had the other week. I was well on the brakes by the time we had hit, so don't recall EyeSight reacting. One surprising thing is the other driver had all his airbags (front/side) go off, but none went off on my end. The other driver was on the wrong side of this divided highway and we both ended up turning into each other in an attempt to avoid it.

After discussions with the repair facility, they are thinking around $10k in damage, which isn't enough to total the car. However, they won't know more until they tear it down to fully account for everything. Surprised how well the Outback held up!

Dashcam video:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
At a likely initial closing rate above 100 mph (~50 mph road speed each vehicle), it's unlikely EyeSight would have a chance to make much difference. Glad you are all right, though. The Outback can be repaired or repleced.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
At a likely initial closing rate above 100 mph (~50 mph road speed each vehicle), it's unlikely EyeSight would have a chance to make much difference. Glad you are all right, though. The Outback can be repaired or repleced.
Also, with the way the oncoming car was coming around the curve right next to the barrier it looks like the driver reacted and braked about as quickly as the Eyesight would have recognized a threat. In fact that looks like a very quick reaction by the driver considering one would never expect a car approaching that quickly going the wrong direction.

I wonder how long it took the other driver to realize he had been the one going the wrong way?

Watching that video made me think it would have been cool to have the gps data on the video to see the speed at impact and how much the braking had slowed the car. At first I was kind of creeped out having that data on mine but it is kind of cool.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how long it took the other driver to realize he had been the one going the wrong way?

Watching that video made me think it would have been cool to have the gps data on the video to see the speed at impact and how much the braking had slowed the car. At first I was kind of creeped out having that data on mine but it is kind of cool.

Speaking with the driver after the accident, he had no idea he was going the wrong way even after the impact. He legitimately thought he was on the correct side of the road until I spoke with him after I got out of the car.

Unfortunately, my dash cam is a pretty cheap model so doesn't have GPS built in. I anticipate I was going 50 when I saw him, and probably got it down to 20 for the impact. No idea on the other car's speed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is that, the I-405/I-90 interchange? How on earth did the other driver get on there the wrong way? Sheesh. Glad you're OK.

Thanks! It's in Everett where 527 cuts under I-5 and becomes 526. He somehow went across all the SB lanes while turning and ended up on the NB side of the divider. Who knows...

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
One surprising thing is the other driver had all his airbags (front/side) go off, but none went off on my end.
It appears from the photos of the collision that the airbags wouldn’t go off based on the point of impact on your car. You were really hit mostly on the front-left corner and the other driver experienced more front impact than you.

Bummer for sure, but it could have been a whole lot worse, right?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Golly jeez that was crazy. Seems to be more crazy than not these days. Car did it's job, and you are OK. That's a great outcome for something so bad. Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Not too hard to estimate your average velocity before the crash if you examine how fast the centerline dashes are going by. Federal guidelines say they should be 10 feet on the dash length / 30 feet on the dash gap / 40 feet total.

I counted 27 dashes in 15.5 seconds from your dashcam timer displayed on the upper left of the screen, which works out to about 47.5 MPH.

Much more difficult to apply this method to the other driver.

Glad you are OK, though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Speaking with the driver after the accident, he had no idea he was going the wrong way even after the impact. He legitimately thought he was on the correct side of the road until I spoke with him after I got out of the car.
Did the other driver have an English or Australian accent? Where did he think he was with the center divider on the Right side if his vehicle instead of the Left?

Subie's save lives! Good luck with repairs or replacement.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Holy crap!

That could have been one very tragic ending. Glad you both were able to 'walk away'.

What was/were WSP's comments? I'm still somewhat familiar with that intersection(s), and I can't see how 'he' got in the wrong lanes.

Bill

·
Registered
430 Posts

Unfortunately, my dash cam is a pretty cheap model so doesn't have GPS built in. I anticipate I was going 50 when I saw him, and probably got it down to 20 for the impact. No idea on the other car's speed.
I have lived in Everett for quite some time. And commute that way. And I have an idea how the other driver legitimately didn't know he was going the wrong way. But then again my parents also taught me, that if I didn't have anything nice to say. Don't say anything at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Nice to hear everyone walked away. I don't know the intersection/road, but it isn't that hard - in the US you keep the yellow lines to your left! If the driver couldn't see the yellow line was on the wrong side, I can only imagine what they were doing...

·
Brucey is a Tool of the Devil !
25,282 Posts
I fixed it so the video should hot link.

and then after it, @Brucey 's 5 things I hate about you comes up on my screen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He said he just didn't see any "wrong way" signs as he was turning onto that part of the road, so I think he just made a wide swing and wasn't paying attention until it was too late. He was an Uber driver, but wasn't picking anyone up at the time.

The Outback is still sitting at the repair facility waiting on a formal estimate. Their eyeballing had it around $10k and a month to get it back. Ughhhhh

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Holy crap!

That could have been one very tragic ending. Glad you both were able to 'walk away'.

What was/were WSP's comments? I'm still somewhat familiar with that intersection(s), and I can't see how 'he' got in the wrong lanes.

Bill
Uber driver based on the window gps tracker. I have seen several if these Lyft and Uber drivers miss turns because they are too busy monitoring their phone app. He had no idea because he was looking at his ride app while going through that large intersection.

I make it a habit to sit in the front with the Lyft or Uber driver. I found that they don’t get distracted by their app when I’m up front invading their space. Plus if needed I can make driving corrections lol

1 - 20 of 56 Posts