Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
She sacrificed herself for you. My '15 Crosstrek did for me, almost an exact same hit, but my bags went off. Since it's obviously his fault make sure you get replacement costs (attorney). You shouldn't be out anything.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Based on that engine damage, I agree that there's likely damage throughout the entire drivetrain. How long it takes to make itself known is the question. I really wouldn't want that one back after that hit. Grab a 2019 3.6 while they're still available. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would not want that car back! Get them to total it, take your wheels and perhaps any other added accessories and move on.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Seems odd that the airbags didn't deploy. Another Takeda airbag or TRW airbag actuator issue?
If so, the computer would likely know and record the incident. And fixing that issue, if present, would almost certainly be required as part of the repair, probably under the car's factory warranty, not under the other driver's insurance.

But as noted it wasn't a full-on frontal hit, and that's likely the real reason.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Shouldn't be a Takada issue, as the Takada recalls all involve the airbags going off but causing debris/shrapnel, and Subaru only used Takada airbags on the passenger side.

From the coverage I've seen, Subaru's not been listed as a consumer of the TRW airbag computers. The decision to trigger/not trigger the airbags takes in a LOT of different information, and it's entirely possible that the design criteria were not met/exceeded in this accident, based on the location and severity of impact. It would be interesting to see if Subaru would be interested in pulling the black box data from the computers and reviewing performance, but I don't know if that's something they routinely do or not...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just got the call, it's officially totaled, so now the fun really begins with getting repayment, value of the vehicle, and hopefully some of the modification value (that I can't remove/replace with OEM).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did the other driver have an English or Australian accent? Where did he think he was with the center divider on the Right side if his vehicle instead of the Left?

Hey, I'm an Australian! But seriously, I would never drive in any country that drives on the other side like you guys. I'd probably kill some poor Yank who's never had an accident in his life. 40 years of driving habits don't get forgotten just by crossing an ocean. It happens here too of course. Often on outback roads where there is little traffic to serve as a reminder of what side of the road you are supposed to be on. Foreign drivers pull out of a side road, turn the wrong way, and smack head-on into the only other car on the road. Its nuts that you can go to another country and jump into a 'wrong sided' car with absolutely no training at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The wheels for your car looked sharp, what were they? STI wheels? Any chance you can keep those for resale? Also what else did you have done to the car bc it looked sharp minus the damage...glad everyone was ok, definitely gave me the chills watching the footage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did the other driver have an English or Australian accent?
Or Japanese, Indian, Thai, South African, Irish, NZ, Jamaican...

A big clue is that the other driver instinctively veered left to avoid colliding. It seems to be a factor in a lot of wrong-side head-ons because both drivers instinctively steer towards each other in trying to avoid each other. A guy I know had a head-on on a quiet country road with a young foreigner who'd only just arrived in the country. They had time and space to avoid each other but both followed their instincts. Like this collision the actual impact was off the path that they were both originally following.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No Airbags Went Off For You Either

Glad you are safe from yet another idiot and hope you are not left feeling pain or anguish from insurance companies or someone at fault and under or uninsured. Good job on having dash cam evidence. You were hit on the same front left section as I was recently in my '09 OB Limited. I was caught by a guy in a hurry, on the gas making a left turn in an intersection around a truck in traffic driving a hulk of an Oddysee. Like you, I saw him coming and was able to slow considerably. My car's ABS and stability tried hard to stop and steady both cars. No airbags from mine because it was hit on the left front corner outside of the sensors. The '09 had 9 airbags, I think, but no sensors there. But in my case, I was hit eccentrically from the corner, bending everything sideways in front of the engine as I tried to stop both cars while his engine was roaring and pushing us sideways. The car did what it was supposed to do; the front sub-frame took the most shock and we didn't go off the street into that apartment building. The body shop said it was about $11,000 damage, so my insurance company totaled it and I was not able to replace the car in my area. I enjoyed that car for the way it drove, it's crisp handling, giant panoramic glass moonroof, and lots of other things I miss. There were some features that are just not offered in the current Subarus even though they have been replaced with other nice items. For a few reasons, I was only interested in replacing it with another 2009 Limited in the same good condition, a tough call in my area - and when I could not, I went to a different model. That's a different story. But I did feel safe in it before and after I was hit. Very sorry to see it go. Stuff happens.

I hope you have a better experience with no ill side-effects of the collision. And most important, glad you were protected from the road idiot.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hey, I'm an Australian! But seriously, I would never drive in any country that drives on the other side like you guys. I'd probably kill some poor Yank who's never had an accident in his life. 40 years of driving habits don't get forgotten just by crossing an ocean. It happens here too of course. Often on outback roads where there is little traffic to serve as a reminder of what side of the road you are supposed to be on. Foreign drivers pull out of a side road, turn the wrong way, and smack head-on into the only other car on the road. Its nuts that you can go to another country and jump into a 'wrong sided' car with absolutely no training at all.
Its not that bad but plenty of operator challenged types probably shouldn’t try it. I drove a manual all over Ireland including through Dublin. Yeah it wasn’t exactly fun but I didn’t find it difficult to make the switch. After a day I didn’t need to think about it just like driving any other car. But a Uncle was a total disaster waiting to happen. Big family wedding 100+ people from all over the **** globe converged on Ireland for a wedding during a effing Hurricane. I had to move our car multiple times over the week so it didn’t get caught in a flooded parking lot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don’t want to blame you here at all, but the video illustrates how hanging out on the left lane is a bad idea. Especially in a long drawn out left curve where your vision ahead was greatly reduced from that lane. If both cars had travelled on their respective right lanes, they would have probably avoided impact. In addition, you steered into each other because you went right - the correct direction to avoid a head on collision (except UK, Japan, etc) - but the other driver went left to get out of your lane.

Just food for thought.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts