Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just flipped the lateral links around. Seems there was no harm done. Wheels appear to be pointed straight ahead, which they wouldn't be if they had gotten bent. Now would be the time to get an alignment but I'm going to wait until next week after I change the front axles. The rear tires are already borked so it's not like it's going to make a different at this point. It drives wonderfully now though. I'm actually looking forward to my commute tomorrow lol.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would also recommend the gr2s from kyb. Get the 02-04 gen 2 ones. They make the car handle a little nicer on the highway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You know what, now that the rear suspension is properly sorted, the Chinese shocks actually ride pretty good.

Oh and it threw another p0420 this morning. 😔. I’m going to order a Vag-Com cable and see what I can do about this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So today installed a pair of used OEM axles. Only $25 each at a local salvage yard, which is pretty cheap. I did reboot them because the inner boots were starting to crack so I figured I might as well address it now. Lol what a messy job.

Swapping the axles was pretty easy, save for how crazy tight the axle nuts were. The difference is amazing though. All of the idle vibration is gone. All of it. Even with the a/c on you can't feel a thing. I haven't gotten it on the highway yet but I'm expecting those vibrations will be gone too.

What else... P0420 keeps coming up, and I'm waiting on the Vag-Com cable so I can see what I can do about rectifying that. I also noticed that this engine unsurprisingly burns oil. Seems about 1qt every 1000 miles which is a little bit much but I can live with that for a while. Eventually I'll probably pick up another motor and just take my time rebuilding it, in the meantime I'll experiment with Shell Rotella 15w-40. I've had good luck with it in the past with some of my oil burners.

I also finally got to see how this car handles. Normally I drive in boring city traffic every day and there's not much in the way of corners, but I did take a little road trip yesterday out of the city and got to see how it handles the twisties. It actually handles better than I expected. I thought it would have a lot of body lean and just generally feel mushy all over but it actually dosen't. The body leans to a point and then it takes a set. The steering tightens up once you put some lock into it and the whole thing feels surprisingly well balanced. Not at all disappointed and I kinda like the dual personality aspect.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts