Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Yeah!! Several of us have driven on sand and we all pretty much say the same thing. I've been on the beach at Vilano Beach Florida (near St. Augustine, check it out if you can) and Daytona Beach.

*snif* but I never got one of those nifty flags, though...:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it was great should have gotton a better pic of how big that hill was but to hard to climb up, sand hills suck to climb so hard to gain ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
olosports said:
she did great
olosports: Where can I get one of these "flagpoles" that are mounted on your OB and that buggy? Looks cool and is obviously useful to monitor wind (or lack thereof). Any other purpose?

Escher

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Re: Re: my 97 outback on sand

Escher said:

Looks cool and is obviously useful to monitor wind (or lack thereof). Any other purpose?
Escher
I assume it's mainly used so that other drivers know your car is driving around behind the sand dune they are about to jump over, thereby averting a nasty accident.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
That's right, dune buggies run them all the time. So do some bicyclists, and for the same reason - to tip somene off to the presence of the vehicle, even when they can't see the vehicle itself because something blocks the view.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for your respective answers, FMGreen and The_Lizard. I've seen the same flags used for visibility on bycicles, especially recumbents, but hadn't made the logical connection. I guess that's because I've never been lucky enough to see a dune that was large enough for a car to hide behind it.

I'll have to Google for places where I could buy such a flag.

Escher

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Escher--
try CB Performance, big VW/buggy parts mfgr and seller and pretty much the state of the art for air cooled VWs. i think i've seen those in their catalog. good outfit, i've dealt with them repeatedly. just don't let em know it's headed for something other than air cooled VW thing, tho....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, cptoversteer. I'll check them out. Wonder if those antennas aren't too long to ship...

Edit: Just checked them out. Those things are called buggy whips and come pretty cheap. Think I'll be ordering a few of them soon.

Escher

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
just checked yr link, forgot they could have light at tip. i'd be the envy of ALL the local big-wing-n-tailpipe-tip guys with a lighted one....:D

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
nice pics!

I love your pics! I have taken mine in the sand too with the family. I wasn't able to take pics.......I loved the look of all the 4x4's & suv owners watching me tackle the deep soft sand like it was nothing! I think they were stunned.......!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Scooby
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing