Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies and gents. So, I have recently started looking in earnest for an upgrade to my 256,000 mile, 14 year old Subie (spoiler alert: not happening:D).

You know what though, she and I are pretty close. We have crossed these United States from east to west clear from one coast to the other, and from north to south as far as Vermont and New Orleans. How could I say goodbye? I can't. I won't. Instead, I will do what any good Subie owner should do. I will clean it up and mod the **** out of it. :29:

Currently, work or additions done to the car consist of a Pioneer receiver, CB radio and some rubber floor mats. I think that's all...

This thread will be my own little piece of digital real estate to capture the journey and get input from all of you. . .plans are as follows:

Phase 1: Necessary Repairs and Such

• Speedo needs wiring/solder bridge fix (guess at most likely fix ATM)
  • Passenger rear view mirror needs reattached/replaced (clipped a trash can)
  • Rear hatch Lift Gate Buffers need replacing to stop rattle
  • Climate control panel needs a bulb
  • Gauge cluster needs a bulb
  • Headlights need new plugs; melting in both (I have to open hood and press on them often to get them to work)
  • Some oil leaking somewhere in the bay
  • Needs an alignment
  • Shampoo seats and carpets
Phase 2: Paint
This will happy somewhat in line with some of the above repairs. To that end, I started prepping for it tonight. Yakima bits came off and I managed to give her a good scrubbing before dark. At some point this week I plan to wash her again, and then start really going at the prep work. I bought clay, some Meguiar's abrasive polish today, and some wax. Right now I am thinking with going with a gray similar to the current dark tone Subaru is doing on the OB. Anthracite or whatever. If I can get the hood to clean up well, or if the rest of the car starts looking nice, I may stick with the OEM color and just repaint the hood. Paint guy is on vacation next week but I plan to see him the following Monday for more info.
Phase 3: Definite Mods

• JVC Arsenal KD-A735BT Stereo
  • Forester KYB GR-2s (undecided on springs)
  • 97-99 OB Trailing Arm Brackets
  • 17" wheels (currently have some dang VW rims that came to me with the car)
  • Hardwire radar detector (minor, I know)
  • Whiteline rear sway bar
  • Pushbar style light bar on front (undecided type)
  • Hella or other lights up front
  • Foglights in unused factory slots
  • Left and right facing lights on basket
  • Cree upgrade to reverse lights
  • Cover fabric in door cards
  • Clear corners, side markers, etc.
Lastly: Possible Mods

• Seat swap to WRX or otherwise nicer, leather seats
  • Header & exhaust
  • Cold air intake
  • Whatever else you people can talk me into!
Here she is as she sits now:

This is my Subaru, this is my ride; there are many like it, but this one is mine.

·
Registered
'97 Outback stock - Well she was rolled 7/9/17 coming back from Savannah, Ga and totaled :-( Not I have an '07 Outback - not sure for how long though - would like an XT :-)
40 Posts
Any engine/drivetrain mods (say maybe WRX or STi )?

Later, T.J.

·
Registered
1999 obw 2.5l Auto 194,000 mi
80 Posts
When you fix the speedo do all the bulbs in the cluster too so you wont have to open it up again :29:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any engine/drivetrain mods (say maybe WRX or STi )?

Later, T.J.
Yo. Definitely not interested in any type of full swap. I want it to die at some point! I also dont want to spend any crazy money. The goal is to clean it up so it's respectable, update some of the tech like the head unit, and then maybe give some new functional capabilities like the lift and extra lighting.

If I can gain some HP and torque through simpler things like headers, exhaust, CAI, then I am all for it. Any suggestions beyond that for working with the current engine?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you fix the speedo do all the bulbs in the cluster too so you wont have to open it up again :29:
I do plan to do that. One bulb is actually already out. I have some questions/thoughts there...

From reading, there are two different size bulbs in there, yes? The larger is a 161 type? What's the smaller?

I was looking at changing the colors. Could I buy the blue LEDs I have seen people posting and drop them in?

What about changing to white faces?

Thanks for any help/solid links.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to the folks who posted some thoughts. The car has cleaned up decently well. The vertical surfaces actually look pretty good with a cleaning and some polish. I'll likely have it painted anyways. There are certainly a lot of dings and scratches, and I just don't care for the two tone all that much.

Took it to the local "foreign cars guy" and his feedback is that I am likely not facing any major mechanical issues. Mind you, this was just based on his staring at the engine and asking a few questions. I am tempted to get it torn down a ways and really cleaned up and put back together. May not be worth it though.

Also went by the only yard in town that reportedly had a Subie sitting in it. Bubba didn't seem real intrigued by my questions about "those foreign cars" and apparently there's "nothing out there that fits them" (my impression was he meant none anywhere, like on the planet, cuz its foreign and all) in regards to the massive pile of wheels he had outside. Oh, well.

I'm out of town the rest of the week but I take it Monday or Tuesday to get a quote on paint.

·
Registered
'97 Outback stock - Well she was rolled 7/9/17 coming back from Savannah, Ga and totaled :-( Not I have an '07 Outback - not sure for how long though - would like an XT :-)
40 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned, is your Outback auto or manual?

If manual, the shifter would probably need Kartboy 5mt bushing combo It made a REAL difference in the shifter response/feel.

Later, T.J.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, she is a 4EAT auto.

Since that simple comment will bump this, might as well say some more...

I have been out of town the last 11 days so not much was done since my original post a few weeks ago. Today, I did get all of the upholstery shampooed and cleaned the rest of the interior myself. Makes an amazing difference. The seats look incredibly better. I will post some pics sometime soon.

Should be getting a paint quote finally this week. Hopefully it will be all dressed up with plenty of places to go in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback AWD 2.5L manual
165 Posts
what's the Cree upgrade to the reverse lights?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what's the Cree upgrade to the reverse lights?
Check out this thread:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/10077-bulb-information.html

Pretty awesome info. A couple of guys mention getting the reverse lights switched out and it seems to basically be headlights for the back of your car. :29:

In other news. . . I think I have decided to go olive drab with my paint. I might try to do it myself even. This car seems like a great candidate for a Rustoleum job.

I am also looking making offers on some '05 Foz XT complete struts over on NASIOC. I posted my lift plan in the big thread under the suspension forum.

More to follow. . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts