Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Some of the accessories and add-ons I would like to consider in the future - money permitting - include:

1. Wheel arch moldings

2. Splash guards

3. Front Bumper Underguard

4. Trailer Hitch

5. Rear Bumper Cover

Of these, which can I reasonably install myself and which would I be better off having installed? I am average handy but also really like to make sure things get done properly the first time. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
#1+4 are the most involved. The others are fairly simple. Most hitch installs include drilling rather large holes in the frame for bolt access unless you remove the rear bumper and install the "factory" way. Removing the bumper is not real hard to do but it might be intimidating with the thought of tearing apart a new car. The arch moldings require some wheel well plastic disassembly. Your confidence level will determine weather to tackle them. There are several threads on hitch brands and install requirements.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. So that Splash Guards, and Rear Bumper Cover are probably the easiest I am guessing. Is there drilling involved in installing the splash guards or are there pre-existing holes or something? I assume the rear bumper cover is applied with adhesive.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
IIRC there is some drilling and pre-existing holes for the flaps. The rear bumper cover uses two sided tape. Report back with observations for future owners. Good Luck.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
the splash guards i think are a waste, get rally armor mud flaps. the front bumper underguard is just an $80 piece of plastic. the factory trailer hitch sticks out kinda far, i wouldn't get it.the rear bumper cover a 4 year old could install, the wheel arch kit is a bit more difficult but makes the car look a lot better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's the Subaru splash guards that are a waste, not just some kind of flaps in general? I assume rally armor mud flaps are just a better kind of guard? Are they easy to install? or is there more drilling, etc. involved?

Maybe I will have the factory do the arch kit, do the rear bumper cover myself, and look into aftermarket hitches. Honestly, as far as the front underguard is concerned, I just thought it looked pretty cool in some of the pictures I had seen. Don't really know a ton about it.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
if you think the subaru splash guards look good, get them. if you want actual protection from mud flaps, get rally armor UR. no drilling, pretty easy to install. the arch kit sucks to install, but you can handle it. i thought the same about the front underguard until i found out its just more plastic. if you would decide on the factory tow hitch, id get that dealer installed rear bumper skin and crash beam need to come off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah. I'm not in love with the factory splash guards. I just like the general look and functionality of guards in general. I will check out others. If these others actually provide more protection, that is what I really want.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
Nah. I'm not in love with the factory splash guards. I just like the general look and functionality of guards in general. I will check out others. If these others actually provide more protection, that is what I really want.

Thanks
My '12 OB Premium came with the Subaru splash guards and I like the way they look. Others have commented before that they are prone to getting caked up with snow, and there is no doubt the Rally Armor gads do a much better job at protecting, but I thought they looked retarded on my OB. They use didn't fit the car visually.

I thought the bumper guard/covers are just a waste, but I am referring to the front and rear bumper under guards, and have the rear bumper cover that goes on the top of the bumper that protects the bumper from scratching it when you are loading things into the cargo area. That's a must have for sure. As far as the trailer hitch, I'd go aftermarket since there are much better ones out there compared to the Subaru hitch. I really like the wheel arch moldings. They were on the car when I bought it, but look like a breeze to install as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I will be getting the rear bumper cover soon. I think that is a must have, especially because I can afford it. I have not looked carefully at any of the splash guards yet so I will have to wait and see what I can find. I am leaning away from the underguards after hearing your opinions, seeing some more pictures, etc. I wouldn't do the rear anyways because I want a hitch sooner or later. I will keep looking at aftermarket hitches when the finances permit.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts