Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never intended for my question “Why 2.5i? To cause such a stir. I am not sure I understand why people care what engine others have chosen to purchase and drive.

There are alot of reasons why the 2.5i would be more economical and for that reason alone a better choice for me since I dont NEED the extra power. However, I had an outback sedan many years ago, and loved it. I had the H6 which from memory was about 212 hp and identical torque. That was a great car but I felt at the time it lacked the power I wanted in many situations and I ended up trading it in on an STI.

I am still leaning towards the 3.6r because I get frustrated with really slow cars and more so against real slow drivers. Ever since the gas crunch I tend to find myself behind people who love to exercise their right to drive in the fast lanes at 5-15 MPH under the posted speed limit. I notice this often when I am late to work or in a no passing zone. Speed has actually got me out of a lot of trouble or frustrating situations. Where I live, people driving slow cause much more problems in traffic than fast drivers.

I have not made up my mind yet and probably wont until my truck is sold and I am ready to purchase. I want to thank everyone who provided me some insight into why they chose the 2.5i. Either way I hope my choice is not held against me. I love Subaru and am looking forward to my third one.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I never intended for my question “Why 2.5i? To cause such a stir. I am not sure I understand why people care what engine others have chosen to purchase and drive.

There are alot of reasons why the 2.5i would be more economical and for that reason alone a better choice for me since I dont NEED the extra power. However, I had an outback sedan many years ago, and loved it. I had the H6 which from memory was about 212 hp and identical torque. That was a great car but I felt at the time it lacked the power I wanted in many situations and I ended up trading it in on an STI.

I am still leaning towards the 3.6r because I get frustrated with really slow cars and more so against real slow drivers. Ever since the gas crunch I tend to find myself behind people who love to exercise their right to drive in the fast lanes at 5-15 MPH under the posted speed limit. I notice this often when I am late to work or in a no passing zone. Speed has actually got me out of a lot of trouble or frustrating situations. Where I live, people driving slow cause much more problems in traffic than fast drivers.

I have not made up my mind yet and probably wont until my truck is sold and I am ready to purchase. I want to thank everyone who provided me some insight into why they chose the 2.5i. Either way I hope my choice is not held against me. I love Subaru and am looking forward to my third one.
The original EZ30 (212 HP H6) had 210 lb-ft of torque, the 2013 2.5i has 174 lb-ft of torque.

Just drive both and make a choice, neither one is a bad decision...you just need to pick the engine that's right for you.

I agree with you on the slow drivers...people who take a long time getting up to speed annoy me more than anything else on the road. I usually pass them the first chance I get. When I don't, I regret it since I often find they're the ones that go five under the speed limit, slow down climbing hills, don't use directionals, and do every other possible annoying thing that you can imagine.

·
Registered
824 Posts
No biggie underrated, it's just the classic case of "my stuff is better than your stuff" that afflicts 99% of the population. I posted once in that thread with my opinion and left it at that but so many others feel the need to tear down the others (both 3.6 and 2.5 owners) that it always goes that way.
Drive both and make a choice. I am sure they are both very nice.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You sir are not the one who should apologize but the persons who got out of control in your thread!

I think if you look at other threads while things get heated in the 2.5 vs 3.6 threads people still try to be helpful in other threads (most of the time).

The rule on forums has always been the same "Don't feed the Trolls" just ignore them. It can be really hard to do that sometimes...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Living in mountainous-terrain, there are times when I wished we had a more powerful car. Accelerating uphill feels like you have to pedal pretty-darn hard!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the 3.6r with the SAP package. Great car!
Mine arrives in 2 weeks. I can't wait.

To the OP, you seriously underrated (pun intended) the edit: H4 vs H6 debate on these boards. I have watched, ok read, at least 3 others that were shut down.

Go drive both, consider the cost difference, then buy what you will both like and afford. Remember, this is entirely a personal choice just like SAP over Eyesight or vice versa.

Keep us posted with your choice and no, you are not forgiven :D

·
Super Moderator
12,120 Posts
H4 and H6, not V4 and V6. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
617 Posts
No apology needed. It was a good question, and it comes up here from time to time, then gets blown out by stupid fights over nothing.

Subaru makes a decent car, regardless of the engine choice. That said, the 2.5 is pretty pokey. Really, if you want a bit more oomph, get the 3.6 and don't sweat it. Personally, I've been very happy with my 2.5 and CVT combo. My last car was an modded STI with around 300 wheels horsepower (depends on what kind of dyno you test with, another argument waiting to happen), so I've had both ends of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

I don't think I ever commented in that thread because of the direction it turned.. But, if I remember correctly, you said you were coming from a diesel pickup. The 3.6 should get better mileage and the regular unleaded should be considerably cheaper than the diesel for the truck. So, even though it would cost "more" to run the 3.6 vs. the 2.5, you should still come out ahead of where you are on fuel costs for the truck.. :29:

Myself, I came from a Sierra Denali that required premium unleaded. So, the mileage is considerably better with the 3.6 and the fuel cost savings per gallon have added up a bit, too..

As far as how that thread went. That's not your fault. That has been going on for a while now with certain folks continuing to get in pissing matches about why one is "better" than the other. It's kinda funny, skimming through those threads with all the "post ignored" messages I see in there.

Get what you want and enjoy it! And let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live in SoFla so it goes without saying the drivers are arguably the worst in the country. So on the day I test drove the 2.5 I realized I needed the extra power to avoid the uninsured and blue hairs reeking havoc on the road ways. Either way you can't go wrong.
One thing I have noticed is the Subi/outdoor community.

·
Registered
504 Posts
No apologies needed, you accidentally stepped into a topic that's gotten over heated before. I got the six for my trips into mountainous areas, I think the added power is useful at higher altitudes.

(My opinion only, before I accidentally open the same can of worms.)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I live in SoFla so it goes without saying the drivers are arguably the worst in the country. So on the day I test drove the 2.5 I realized I needed the extra power to avoid the uninsured and blue hairs reeking havoc on the road ways. Either way you can't go wrong.
One thing I have noticed is the Subi/outdoor community.
Florida is the only place I've ever driven where people will do 80+ on the shoulders of the highway while you'll have a 300hp V8 powered Caddie doing 55mph in the center lane serving as a speed bump. After a few visits I came to the conclusion you need a battering ram with air bags given your chances of getting hit by freaks speeding down the shoulders of the highway which by the way are littered with more trash and large damaging objects than any other state I've been in. LOL

Glad my Aunt finally sold her place down there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
All this thread is, starting with the OP, is just another chapter of "different perspectives." I drive a 220hp turbocharged SAAB (which will certainly be replaced, if we go Subaru, by the 2.5), but I also most certainly don't come down a ramp with my foot to the floor to oblige those behind me. So pass, already. The world is already full of a whole lot of folks in a big hurry to go nowhere. Having just passed the previous week in Napoli, I know whereof I speak.

As far as people in the left lane going slow, that's lack of lane discipline in particular individuals, and for the life of me I cannot see howinell it has a thing to do with driving a car with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
All this thread is, starting with the OP, is just another chapter of "different perspectives." I drive a 220hp turbocharged SAAB (which will certainly be replaced, if we go Subaru, by the 2.5), but I also most certainly don't come down a ramp with my foot to the floor to oblige those behind me. So pass, already. The world is already full of a whole lot of folks in a big hurry to go nowhere. Having just passed the previous week in Napoli, I know whereof I speak.

As far as people in the left lane going slow, that's lack of lane discipline in particular individuals, and for the life of me I cannot see howinell it has a thing to do with driving a car with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine.
The 2.5 does 90mph in the fast lane just fine as long as the craptastic Continentals are recently balanced. ;-) LOL - even then it does 90 just fine but you'll get a nice butt, hand and arm message while your doing it.

Any time you drive during non commute hours you get people parking them selves in lanes and not driving with the flow. Even worse than the fast lane not so fast drivers are the idiots who drive along for miles beside big semi's hauling big trailers. Darwin winners in the making.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My retort to: "As far as people in the left lane going slow, that's lack of lane discipline in particular individuals, and for the life of me I cannot see howinell it has a thing to do with driving a car with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine."

The six cylinder engine has a lot more power for passing in shorter distances. Getting around people in open highways is not the problem so top speed is not a concern. Getting around people on a congested highway or before entering a long no passing zone, or just getting away from people who are going to cause an accident is what I was thinking about. I have been in many "almost" accidents where my vehicle was fast enough to get out of the way. If you drive anywhere near Chicago you will understand what I mean.
I live in a very congested area where getting behind the wrong person can cause a 25 minute commute to be a 35-50 min commute. Add in some very deep snow and power can be useful. I am just trying to logically determine which engine I will be happier with. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My retort to: "As far as people in the left lane going slow, that's lack of lane discipline in particular individuals, and for the life of me I cannot see howinell it has a thing to do with driving a car with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine."

The six cylinder engine has a lot more power for passing in shorter distances. Getting around people in open highways is not the problem so top speed is not a concern. Getting around people on a congested highway or before entering a long no passing zone, or just getting away from people who are going to cause an accident is what I was thinking about. I have been in many "almost" accidents where my vehicle was fast enough to get out of the way. If you drive anywhere near Chicago you will understand what I mean.
I live in a very congested area where getting behind the wrong person can cause a 25 minute commute to be a 35-50 min commute. Add in some very deep snow and power can be useful. I am just trying to logically determine which engine I will be happier with. I hope this helps.
My aunt with the Florida place which she just sold - has been in Chicago forEVER! LOL power vs Chicago winter roads don't mix well LOL. Which case AWD with very good winter tires are your best fix for that issue.

I live in CA where if WAZE isn't showing the CHP nosing around people are doing 75-80-90 on highways rated at 65mph never really had an issue with the 2.5 even the prior 2.5 regarding the ability to get moving. The old Buick piece of crap my parents had for two years on the other hand was not safe given it could hardly accelerate to 50mph to even get on the highway. Which case yes that car was dangerous.

Over 65,000 miles commuting to work on a Motorcycle where your invisible and the ability to accelerate away from idiots in cages usually cages much faster than your average Prius or Outback was pretty important to a successful 65,000 miles of zero accidents on the bike. Even with my 4.7L V8 powered vehicle I don't ever see a case where power and acceleration in a cage is needed beyond getting on it to merge before a Semi is on top of you. Which case the 2.5 even on our up hill short ramp by our home is fine even with the trailer hooked to it.

Acceleration in the Mountains at high altitude with a packed car - I can see why the 3.6 would be of great interest but beyond that having lived with the 2.5 since 2001 - and it serving as our primary car for around town and road trips it does quite well and really doesn't offer anything less than what we would use the 3.6 for other than lower cost.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts