Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brought my new car home last night, too late to get a new permit from my building's management office. Never seen a tow truck in the 4 years I've lived here... didn't figure it would be a problem. Went downstairs to get the plate info this morning when the office opened and the car was gone! :17: $125 lesson learned.

I don't know how they could get a flatbed into this parking garage so I'm concerned that it was towed improperly. The lot is several miles away. I'm going to pick my car up this afternoon. When I pick it up is there anything I can do to check if the transmission was damaged in any way? Or is it just something that will surprise me down the road? Thanks for your replies!

UPDATE: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/453953-post10.html

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,705 Posts
try to find out if anyone saw it being towed. Especially any security cameras. You may be able to at least make the management/tow company pay for a dealer to inspect the car.

tough business though - good luck.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
Hindsight is 20/20, but one of these might assist you in such a case if damage was done:

AWD Tow Warning Sticker Decal WRX | eBay

At this point, as already mentioned, try to get any footage to find out if it was towed improperly. I'd imagine if damage occurred, you would surely hear it from the center diff but I would try to determine with some sort of footage first before driving it around much.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
WT*, Murphy came around. Pretty gutsy of them to tow a temp-tags (obviously new) car, how do they know it’s not a tenant’s. But yeah should’ve put a sign/contact on the dash, unless you were parked improperly (in someone’s spot).<O:p</O:p
Even with a flatbed, how do you load a locked/braked OB – you hook up the winch/chain to omg-somewhere and drag it!!! Most definitely get it dealer inspected.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Tow operator is 100% responsible for properly towing your vehicle without damaging it. If your car was parked properly in your designated spot you may also have a claim against whom ever called to have the car removed. A vehicle just purchased has a grace period and can be operated on the street as long as it met all the standard street legal requirements.

Sounds to me like both the tow operator and the person who called to have you towed might owe you a new transmission.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,680 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Tow operator is 100% responsible for properly towing your vehicle without damaging it. If your car was parked properly in your designated spot you may also have a claim against whom ever called to have the car removed. A vehicle just purchased has a grace period and can be operated on the street as long as it met all the standard street legal requirements.

Sounds to me like both the tow operator and the person who called to have you towed might owe you a new transmission.
i think the problem was that the OP didn't have a parking permit to park in the parking area... and got towed.

joel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think the problem was that the OP didn't have a parking permit to park in the parking area... and got towed.

joel
Correct. It *was* my bad. Tow company told me that I could have called them to set up a tow ban for the first night, wish I would have known that before.

I'm a little frustrated, but I'm fine paying the $125 ransom for my mistake but I just want to make sure that my car is OK!

·
Registered
18,294 Posts
When I pick it up is there anything I can do to check if the transmission was damaged in any way?
Other than checking for external damage such as dents, scratches etc, including underneath, there's not much that can be done to check if the transmission was damaged internally. (Unless a malfunction shows up when you drive it away from the lot or shortly thereafter.)

But there might be some consolation if the tow company will explain exactly what they did to move the car.

For example, did they open a door or just move the car while locked (presuming it was locked)? Did they flatbed it (you seem to think this wouldn't have been possible), which would have required pulling it up on the bed, or perhaps just raise the wheels at one end on dollies, and the wheels on the other end on a tow bar? (Depends on accessibility.)

As long as the car didn't have to be forced (pushed, pulled, dragged) to move in order to get to it, and none of the wheels was turning during the tow, the drive train, incl. the transmission, should not have been affected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
try to find out if anyone saw it being towed. Especially any security cameras. You may be able to at least make the management/tow company pay for a dealer to inspect the car.
Thanks for this great idea! I'm friendly with the concierge and talked to her about the security cameras (she also happens to own a Forester!) She was able to find a view at the garage exit. After confirming the time with the tow company she was actually able to find the video of my car going out of the garage! They had it lifted from the front with the rear on dollies. It was a flatbed truck. If they didn't tow it the whole 4 mi. on the dollies I'd imagine that it would be easier to put it on the flatbed rather than to just remove it from the dollies and drag it.

I just got back from picking it up and thankfully there is not a scratch on it. I thoroughly checked the underbody too and everything looked fine. Just a little dusty from the gravel tow yard but considering my previous concerns I can live with that! :29:

So, all in all, stress and money aside, a happy ending! :)

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
They must have known what they were doing to put the wheels on dollies!

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
I understand your stress completely. It sounds like the tow company did the job correctly. Phew! And a lesson learned, too! :)

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
Thanks for this great idea! I'm friendly with the concierge and talked to her about the security cameras (she also happens to own a Forester!) She was able to find a view at the garage exit. After confirming the time with the tow company she was actually able to find the video of my car going out of the garage! They had it lifted from the front with the rear on dollies. It was a flatbed truck. If they didn't tow it the whole 4 mi. on the dollies I'd imagine that it would be easier to put it on the flatbed rather than to just remove it from the dollies and drag it.

I just got back from picking it up and thankfully there is not a scratch on it. I thoroughly checked the underbody too and everything looked fine. Just a little dusty from the gravel tow yard but considering my previous concerns I can live with that! :29:

So, all in all, stress and money aside, a happy ending! :)
Reading this thread gave me anxiety. Glad your car is OK though! :29:

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
To the OP, after all this, I'd have a word with the morons running that freak-show you live in....It is ridiculous to get towed right of the bat without at least a warning.
I live in an HOA neighborhood but we get a warning first before action is taken.
At least you're lucky that the tow operator was the only one with common sense....:D

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium CVT PZEV
133 Posts
To the OP, after all this, I'd have a word with the morons running that freak-show you live in....It is ridiculous to get towed right of the bat without at least a warning.
Ever come home late at night and find someone else in your space and nowhere to park within a mile and half?

You'd want the tow company to take an unstickered car out of your space immediately.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Nothing like not having your car and a $350 bill. Compound that with possible tranny damage...ouch:gasp:

Fiancee's brother got towed in San Francisco. Over $600.

At least only the tow fine hurts and the tranny is unaffected.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
Ever come home late at night and find someone else in your space and nowhere to park within a mile and half?

You'd want the tow company to take an unstickered car out of your space immediately.
That is true but I assumed the OP was in his own spot....If not ooops I guess:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts