Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple of weeks I thought my brakes were squeaking a bit. I could only hear them if I cracked the window so I thought no big deal... maybe they're just a little dirty. However, today I noticed that as I went around a slow right hand turn the squeak was present and I wasn't using the brakes. I then began listening more closely and the squeak was definately more audible when applying the brakes but was often present when the brakes weren't being applied... particularly right hand turns. Any thoughts:confused:

Kevin

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
244 Posts
If it's still squeaking when you're not braking, then perhaps it could be a wheel bearing ?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,423 Posts
When was the last time you inspected the pads for wear? Could be the indicators (little tabs of sheet metal intended to squeal when pads are worn low) are now in contact with the disc. Usually the inside pads will wear faster than the outer ones. Time to take a look I think before you ruin the rotor.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually had the dealer check them last week. He said the pads were fine and they were probably squeaking because they are aftermarket. He said they have people switch back to factory pads all the time because aftermarket (autozone etc) pads are noisey. It was just today that I noticed the squeak when the brakes weren't applied. Not nearly as audible and doesn't last very long but it is definately there.

·
Registered
17,423 Posts
Oh well - just a thought.
It is often true (has been for decades) that some aftermarket pads, usually semi-metallic or ther 'high performance' type pads are noisier. They generally will last longer than OEM - which are specifically made to be quiet, can't have brake squealing during test drives now can we?
You could switch them out for OEM or learn to live with the noise. Occasionally a pad may not retract after braking and slide on the rotor a little, doubtful if it is doing any harm, though if it is very noticeable all the time it may indicate a sticky caliper slide. Still, sounds like the dealer checked it - I'd learn to appreciate the 'sound of high performance braking!'.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. What does a bad wheel bearing sound like? The sound I am getting is a very high pitched whistle type sound. I have heard that Subaru has had some wheel bearing problems and hope that's not what is wrong here ($).

As far as the sound being heard when the brakes aren't applied, a sticky caliper seems like a reasonable guess. I need to get the car back to the dealer to check out my non-functioning cruise control and will have them look more closely at the squeak. Thanks again for all the help.:)

Kevin

·
Registered
17,423 Posts
Did the dealer drive the car or jack it up? They should be able to distinguish a wheel bearing noise from brake noise. Wheel bearings can make a multitude of noises but usually not anything like brake squeal. Sometimes a 'creaky shoe leather' sound when rolling slowly maybe - most noticeable when next to a wall or tall curb. Often a whirring noise at speed, rumbling noise slower.. If after reading our replies you are concerned it is not the brakes just go back to the dealership or a different mech. with your concerns, if they write it up and still don't find anything - and they turn out to be wrong in the future - you may have recourse for a discounted repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts