Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up this AM and saw lots of lights on the dashboard....tried to shut down and restart but no change.

"Brake" light is flashing
"Cruise" light is flashing
"Traction control" light is on
"Check Engine Light" is on.

Car seems to run and drive fine. Any ideas here?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Tighten gas cap.

Go to the nearest auto parts store (Advance, Autozone, whatever), they'll read the codes.

Post the code here.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tighten gas cap.

Go to the nearest auto parts store (Advance, Autozone, whatever), they'll read the codes.

Post the code here.
I have a code reader at home, I'll check it tonight. I think my wife may have filled it w/ gas while I was out of town earlier this week. Maybe gas cap.

Will it clear by itself if I tighten the cap (if that is in fact what the problem is) or do I have to clear it w/ my code reader?

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
It should clear by itself eventually, but if you're already hooking the reader up, might as well take care of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
LOL, I just had this happen to our new OB last Saturday! Freaked me out :eek: . It wasn't the gas cap, as we were still on our first tank of gas.

I had time so I drove it to the dealer. They told me those flashing lights were basically telling me the car was in like safety or limp mode. Apparently the car "learns" how you drive and the computer needs a reflash. It took about 30 minutes and all is fine.

A few odd points though. 1) Service people told me this is normal and will happen within a couple hundred miles of driving. 2) Nobody warned me about this when I bought the car! 3) Odd that the car "learns how you drive" during the break-in period, because it's really being babied right now and isn't how it will be driven normally.

Started up this AM and saw lots of lights on the dashboard....tried to shut down and restart but no change.

"Brake" light is flashing
"Cruise" light is flashing
"Traction control" light is on
"Check Engine Light" is on.

Car seems to run and drive fine. Any ideas here?

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
A few odd points though. 1) Service people told me this is normal and will happen within a couple hundred miles of driving. 2) Nobody warned me about this when I bought the car! 3) Odd that the car "learns how you drive" during the break-in period, because it's really being babied right now and isn't how it will be driven normally.
It's not normal and they're full of excrement. No manufacturer would produce a vehicle where this would be considered "normal" under routine circumstances.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
That's one service dept I would never return to. The car most likely was in safety or limp mode but it was due to a perceived fault which the code would have pointed to. They just reset it and fed you a line. It would be interesting to foward your conversation with that service dept to SOA and get their take.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow…unbelievable what lies a dealer service dept can tell people. Like we are from different planet and now we got a new car. Nowadays cars are computers so they can feed us any lie.

·
Registered
2000 outback
27 Posts
its definitely true, a kia dealership lied to me to my face saying that it wast transmission fluid that sprayed all inside the engine bay, it was engine oil! This was several hours after myself and the tow truck guy pondered the RED fluid dripping everywhere was most definitely transmission fluid. Needless to say, Capital Kia of Austin Texas no longer will get my patronage.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
2001 VW Jetta 55K on it - wife has had it since 0 miles. Dash light behind the AC controls burnt out. Took it into the dealer to have that done and I asked them to top off the MT gear oil. It has had a very small leak since day one then again every VW I've ever delt with leaked something from day one.

Service guy with a strait face goes into this long BS diatribe about how they may need to pull the transmission to find the source of the issue etc etc. I let him finish and said "there is a fill plug on the transmission would you like me to show you where it is or do you think you guys can figure out how to check and top off the gear oil?" He blushed and says Oh right we can just check the gear oil level and top it up - I say great thats all I was asking you to do. $100 at pick up one new bulb in the dash and Mt gear oil topped up. I bet they were hoping to get a $1000 service bill out of that visit.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the codes when I got home tonight. It had P0128 stored, which is a slower than spec warmup code. I cleared the code and we'll see if it happens again. Its been pretty cold here lately and maybe an anomaly...I used to get a P0128 code in my Volvo every once in awhile when it was really cold out. If it happens again then I'll take it in and start looking for a cause (thermostat, ECT sensor, etc).

I am thankful I bought that code reader a couple years back! Just saved me a trip to the dealer that would suck hours out of my life to have them do what I could accomplish in 30 seconds in my garage at home. :29:

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
That was a stunning lie by the service dept. in post #6. Of course that's not normal and the service writers there are probably still laughing about what they said. Post the name of that dealer sometime so everyone can avoid it. And, let SOA know what the dealership told you.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many cars out there have "adaptive" engine and transmission ECUs which learn your driving style and slightly change specs to meet it. Not sure if Subaru is included. That said I agree that post #6 is BS with regard to limp mode and reflash. They just cleared the fault codes, that's all. Too bad they didn't tell you what the code was.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited, Graphite Gray
73 Posts

When we were shopping (2010) and also looking at Hyundai, the Hyundai factory warranty contained words to the effect that any issues considered "characteristic of the vehicle" would not be covered.

Not only did we lose interest in Hyundai, but I am always concerned now when a dealer says something is "normal" when common sense says it isn't. It's like they are trying to make a similar case. What if Subaru had tried to take that approach with the shakers?

For the record, our OB has 23K miles and this has never happened.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
8 Posts
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with all of the lights coming on. Turned out to be a tear in the gas cap seal...replaced under warranty. Service manager told me that when the check engine light comes on, the car disables the electronic parking brake, traction control system and cruise control system so that the driver can't do any more damage. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but that is what I was told.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I am always concerned now when a dealer says something is "normal" when common sense says it isn't. It's like they are trying to make a similar case. What if Subaru had tried to take that approach with the shakers? .
They did. If you go back to the beginning of the shaker thread you will see that in the beginning they tried to convince owners that they just were not used to the Subaru road feel. I think the movement just got too big for them to brush aside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's not normal and they're full of excrement. No manufacturer would produce a vehicle where this would be considered "normal" under routine circumstances.
what JACKWAGONS outside of staying out of 4000 rpm's for the first 1000 miles I drove the wife's 2012 2.5i Limited like I stole it, and still do. That said, I know she doesn't drive it that way and her dash does light up like a Christmas tree.

·
Registered
2011 OB Prem 6 spd now 2006 Built WRX.
866 Posts
I keep my car away from the dealer at all costs because of stories like this...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts