Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

Registered
Meh, I use Rain-X all the time and haven't seen any adverse effects. I also make sure to correctly apply it and not have any streaking at all. The key is, apply Rain-X, wait 5 minutes for it to fog up, buff off with a lightly damp cloth checking the glass against a bright light for streaking.
Rain-X actually improves EyeSight performance in heavy rain by giving the cameras a lot more unobstructed view of the road ahead than untreated glass.

Obviously this is only for the outer surface of the windshield.
Also using properly applied RainX with my '17 Ltd w/ Eyesight with no lane change or other issues noticed than without RainX. Son w/ '16 Legacy w/ Eyesight also uses RainX w/ no reported problems.

Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Also using properly applied RainX with my '17 Ltd w/ Eyesight with no lane change or other issues noticed than without RainX. Son w/ '16 Legacy w/ Eyesight also uses RainX w/ no reported problems.
Until there is.
Oh I forgot you also designed the Eyesight System.
I am just being facetious but I would assume that the designers understand that modifying the optics could have adverse consequences by changing the dynamics of emergency braking system.

Welcome to the forum and keep smiling.

Registered
Until there is.
Subaru, which designed the Eyesight system, also says that Eyesight is a helper, not the vehicle driver. As the driver, I want to use whatever gives me an advantage as the driver, and properly applied RainX does that. That, when correctly applied, it does not conflict with Eyesight, that is another plus. If you are not sure you can apply it correctly, then don't use it. A pretty simple and binary choice.

Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
Until there is.
I am just being facetious but I would assume that the designers understand that modifying the optics could have adverse consequences by changing the dynamics of emergency braking system.

Welcome to the forum and keep smiling.
We may not have designed the system but the system will warm you if there is a problem with the visibility for the cameras. Like was said above, eyesight is non essential to driving and safety compared to visibility in rain.

Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
Subaru, which designed the Eyesight system, also says that Eyesight is a helper, not the vehicle driver. As the driver, I want to use whatever gives me an advantage as the driver, and properly applied RainX does that. That, when correctly applied, it does not conflict with Eyesight, that is another plus. If you are not sure you can apply it correctly, then don't use it. A pretty simple and binary choice.
I am not talking about your use but the audience that reads these post. It is your vehicle and your liabilities if something goes wrong. My only example which I can correlate if my glasses become smeared my eye sight is affected and not at full potential.

The emergency braking system which was the main reason for me purchasing the Subarus has saved me from T boning a young distracted driver. In my heart of heart, I would not have missed if wasn't for the extra spit moment the braking engaged faster than I could do it.

Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
He said it would screw up the cameras for lane assist etc. as it leaves a film on the windshield. Anyone else experience this?
Okay, now that there's been a lot of tales on here from people saying one thing or another ...

Rain-X on your windshield can cause a film, but that's NOT the problem / issue that's being referenced when Subaru says don't put it or any other film on your windshield. If you've ever properly applied Rain-X on your windshield, then you know exactly what happens. The rain hits your windshield, and goes up. Now, drive down the highway at 50 mph and what do you see at the top of your windshield?

That's right, there's normally a bunch of water collected up there, being held there by the windshield frame by the speed of your vehicle.

Eyesight is there primarily - FIRST AND FOREMOST - as a safety feature for collision avoidance. PERIOD! Everything else is gravy.

Do you think, maybe, that a small puddle of water at the top of your windshield might just end up blocking the visibility of the camera? Thus, potentially allowing it to NOT help prevent a collision?

People will do what people will do. I've had customers who put tint on their windshield, put partial bras on their cars, even stuck lights and other stuff (Outback with bull bars) up from the front. That's ALL against the recommendations of Subaru. In the end, it's YOUR car. Don't complain if the system doesn't perform like it's intended to, if YOU do something that Subaru says to not do. I specifically tell everyone, DON'T hang stuff from your mirror. I've had a customer have an issue, where her shiny silver medallion hanging down, ended up reflecting on the inside of the windshield and caused the system to think she was in an emergency braking situation.

(Sorry if I seem to be on a soapbox about this, but due to the general stupidity of other drivers, I've had more than one customer tell me how the Eyesight system has helped them avoid a collision.)

Registered
2019 Blue Outback in Premium trim
I, too, use Rain-X washer fluid with no ill effects. The only system failure I ever experienced was in a torrential rain.

Registered
Okay, now that there's been a lot of tales on here from people saying one thing or another ...

Rain-X on your windshield can cause a film, but that's NOT the problem / issue that's being referenced when Subaru says don't put it or any other film on your windshield. If you've ever properly applied Rain-X on your windshield, then you know exactly what happens. The rain hits your windshield, and goes up. Now, drive down the highway at 50 mph and what do you see at the top of your windshield?

That's right, there's normally a bunch of water collected up there, being held there by the windshield frame by the speed of your vehicle.

Eyesight is there primarily - FIRST AND FOREMOST - as a safety feature for collision avoidance. PERIOD! Everything else is gravy.

Do you think, maybe, that a small puddle of water at the top of your windshield might just end up blocking the visibility of the camera? Thus, potentially allowing it to NOT help prevent a collision?

People will do what people will do. I've had customers who put tint on their windshield, put partial bras on their cars, even stuck lights and other stuff (Outback with bull bars) up from the front. That's ALL against the recommendations of Subaru. In the end, it's YOUR car. Don't complain if the system doesn't perform like it's intended to, if YOU do something that Subaru says to not do. I specifically tell everyone, DON'T hang stuff from your mirror. I've had a customer have an issue, where her shiny silver medallion hanging down, ended up reflecting on the inside of the windshield and caused the system to think she was in an emergency braking situation.

(Sorry if I seem to be on a soapbox about this, but due to the general stupidity of other drivers, I've had more than one customer tell me how the Eyesight system has helped them avoid a collision.)
I use RainX and I understand that is against what Subaru says. So good point, seriously. As is your note about pooling water. I keep the windshield surround and the front of the roof line (as well as the whole car) well waxed, so the water keeps on going. RainX or not, what a great car when with Eyesight.

Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!

Thank you for the input. If I am not mistaken you are referencing the Rain-X spray that you apply to the windshield right?

So is the Rain-X windshield washer fluid ok to use or is that also an issue and if so does it affect the cameras alone or has it also been a cause of windshield washer sensor level issues in the car?

If it is a problem, what washer fluid do you recommend we use?

Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Ltd CVT, 06 Legacy GT, 08 C6 Vette, 17 Camaro RS 2.0t
He said it would screw up the cameras for lane assist etc. as it leaves a film on the windshield. Anyone else experience this?
it's bs, use it if you like, the benefits outweigh the risks

Registered
Thank you for the input. If I am not mistaken you are referencing the Rain-X spray that you apply to the windshield right?

So is the Rain-X windshield washer fluid ok to use or is that also an issue and if so does it affect the cameras alone or has it also been a cause of windshield washer sensor level issues in the car?

If it is a problem, what washer fluid do you recommend we use?
He is saying (sorry for not letting him speak for himself) that this happens with any solution that repels water droplets when you drive fast.

Registered
On the 2020 Outback, the top of the windshield is frameless. Water flies off the top of the windshield. Wonder if this is to help prevent the situation you describe for Eyesight.

Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5
I have used Rain X window washer fluid in four Subaru's with Eyesight and have never had a problem ... and twice the Eyesight activated and auto-braked the car when a vehicle pulled in front of me very close on the highway.

Registered
I put Griots glass sealant on....no issues. In fact, eyesight works so well sometimes when I鈥檓 approaching the bushes at the end of my driveway a little fast it activates ;).

61 - 77 of 77 Posts