Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a '99 OBS AT the other day. Overall I really liked it - maybe a little more than I expected actally. But some things were surprising and -um - a little suspicisous.

hard to belive a '99 model anything wouldn't have a remote filler door release. Do you guys have locking gas caps?

The dealership had to replace the windshield dur to a crack they said. having never seen an OBS up close before - um - do they have wiper heaters? The windshield didn't.

I've read so much about 'snorkusectomies' but the car I looked at had the silencer completely inside the engine compartment! Is that normal? I did see the ports on the inner fender - I wonder if it was added back before it was traded in or something. Like the guy took the easy way out instead of putting it back in the fender. Surprising.

Peppier than I expected being an AT.

The salesman also made me a little uncomfortable - like bragging about a "27 point inspection" but not knowing what the 'points' are.

Are the dealerships computers tied together? can one dealership determine what service issues and recalls have been performed on a car?

The next closest one for sale is 200 miles away. That and saving up more money is why I keep saying I'm 'slowly shopping'.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Hello, regarding the remote filler cap door- MY02 and up have them (OBS) but my wife's '03 Baja doesn't, you still just pull the door open. No wiper heaters on the windshield, but the rear wiper sits on one on mine (MY02) As for the plastic intake pieces, it was a work of art for the Subaru engineers with all that plumbing and crap. All of the plastic parts are inside the engine bay, but stick into the fender well also.
I believe if you don't get previous owner info on the car pertaining to maintenance and such, you're on your own. The 2.2l is one of Subaru's best engines allegedly. Good luck, Brian

·
Registered
17,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Brian - any pics/diagrams around of MY '99-'01 engine bay?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Guess they looked after the Legacy drivers in 99. Mine has a remote filler release. But then mine is the (pauses and takes deep breath) Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition. And even though mine is a 2.5 MT it surprised quite a few people who has driven in it.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
1999 OBS stock engine bay...

Nice plastic intake plumbing!

·
Registered
17,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YEP - that confirms for me that someone has 'monkeyed' with the one I drove!

If the car had been driven with an after market CAI or something it may also explain the carbon inside the tail pipe. I also noticed a shiny 'screw drive-type' hose clamp holding the intake box onto the TB - probably not original.

No sign of overspary and the body panels lined up well - I think someone tried to 'tune' it a little with an intake.

Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
1 Posts
driving the OBS

I feel very comfortable in my 98 OBS (bought it 1/3/04). IPutting the back seats down (and lifting the bottom up-didn't know that at first) doesn't let me slide the drivers seat back as much as I would like but it is still tolerable-like driving a truck with no rear seats-I guess it is better for my posture and more than likely safer being a proper distance from the airbags etc. I'm 5'11'' and 155 lbs (until I get back on the bike). The OBS continues to grow on me. It deserves a garage but it I had that I would have purchased a 2003 haha.

I love the suspension on the 98-99 OBS. It so feels like a larger SUV type vehicle when I'm behind the wheel and the perfect height off the ground. My 95 civic HB now feels like it's an inch off the ground.

Anybody know of a car cover for Subaru OBS (that will allow for the ski rack)? I will start commuting to work on my bike and it could sit for days without any major trip (except for the weekly ski trips).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts