Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I went from a 5th gen Camaro SS, to a 2018 Outback! Long story short is my wife and I aren't done having babies. We needed a solid family hauler that would be affordable for us so after seeing several people with very reliable Subarus I decided to make the switch. I also live in the Appalachian mountain chain so AWD is a nice luxury to have here in the winter! So far I love the car, rides like a dream, and is very quiet. We traded my wifes Honda Fit(doesn't fit much), and my Camaro SS. The other reason was I could get 0% financing through Subaru which was a huge incentive to go with Subaru. We got the 2.5i premium, has most of the interior bells and whistles with the cloth seats.

I was an active user on the Camaro5 forums, I love places like this because of the knowledge that these forums contain so I decided to make an account here for future questions. Anywho, it was late last night when we made the deal but here is one pic I snapped off!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome Matt_OPEC and congratulations on the new Subie rig! It looks fantastic!

We had our first baby about a year ago and high on our list of things to do to prepare for baby's arrival - pick up our new Outback!

We love all the bells and whistles but most importantly, we love all the advanced safety features. The drive home from the hospital with Mom & Baby was a lot less nerve-wracking for me in my new Outback.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Matt_OPEC and congratulations on the new Subie rig! It looks fantastic!

We had our first baby about a year ago and high on our list of things to do to prepare for baby's arrival - pick up our new Outback!

We love all the bells and whistles but most importantly, we love all the advanced safety features. The drive home from the hospital with Mom & Baby was a lot less nerve-wracking for me in my new Outback.

Enjoy!
Our son just turned a year old and safety was definitely at the top of the list with having more room

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited
136 Posts
I'm on my first Subaru too! Outback, 2017, Limited, 2.5i. I don't know the exact differences between the Limited and the Premium, but if you have the remote entry by pushing the button under the back hatch - program it. This will unlock the doors if you happen to lock the car and don't have the keys. My wife had the keys on a recent snow trip - I headed back to the Outback, it was a bit cold out - thinking, I'll get in the car and keep warm(er) - but "crap, I did not have the keys" - then I recalled this nice feature - punched in the code, all doors opened, and I was inside. Nice.

Keep an eye on oil consumption - I was paranoid about this for 1000's of miles, checking all the time. I drove the Outback very softly - for 5000 miles - I'm sure overkill, but no oil consumption that some have reported. Also, if you plan to change your own oil - and it's very simple, get one of these from Amazon:

Fumoto F-108N Engine Oil Drain Valve:
https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-108N-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003VCB9WC

I've not used one before, but now that I have it installed, it's great.

I also got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVKYHW6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My wife and I do a lot of kayaking and I get somewhat dirty with catching fish - so this just protects the seats. These are decent - but I'm sure better out there. Just keeps the seats clean.

Have fun.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, I took it out for it's first spin in a decent slick situation and to say I'm impressed is understating how stoked I was at how this thing handled these conditions. Turned the traction control off, never needed any momentum to get up 6% grades, and she didn't slip once

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I do have one question which I wasn't aware of when I bought this car which is the head gasket

Has this been improved upon over the years, is it wide spread or is it just people who have it come to the forum to seek answers for their issues? This isn't an EJ which is why I'm asking, I'm pretty anal about the maintenance of all my vehicles.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After doing some research it does appear to be not common in the FB's which is good!

What's funny is I have quite a few friends with EJ Foresters/Imprezas and I never heard of the issue till now

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring in Wilderness Green
53 Posts
Congrats! You chose... wisely. Both car and color. :)

Mine handled the most recent snowfall on Wednesday in MD like a tank. X-Mode going up a steep grade with negative camber on an S-curve just getting to my office building: amazing. Hill descent going down the same hill: amazing.

Reactions: Matt_OPEC

·
Registered
'18 Outback 3.6R Limited. '11 Forester 2.5X Prem.
45 Posts
Congrats! I like the color! I have the Crystal Black Silica. I've driven around the NC and WVA mountains in some gnarly weather. Subaru's AWD and weight distribution/placement is really something special that you have to experience. The sure footedness is something to behold and always brings a smile to my face.
You picked a great family vehicle. It is fun, comfortable, incredibly practical and among the safest vehicle out there.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
Mine handled the most recent snowfall on Wednesday in MD like a tank. X-Mode going up a steep grade with negative camber on an S-curve just getting to my office building: amazing. Hill descent going down the same hill: amazing.
You are lucky. My wife couldn't back her OB out of our driveway. She got stuck on the pile of snow the plow left the night before. Her co-worker came in a Wrangler to take her to work instead.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
35 Posts
There is a tremendous sense of peace and satisfaction for me, knowing that my loved ones are out traveling around in ANY kind of conditions in one of the safest, most crash-worthy vehicles ever made.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts