Subaru Outback Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,821 Posts
The Gen4 3.6 vehicles have a 5EAT automatic transmission (Non-CVT).

The torque converter in these models can “lock up” at various speeds AND in various gears unlike other torque converters which only lock up in the highest gear at around 50 MPH. This is likely to be the “extra” shifts you are experiencing.

My suggestion is to do a drain and fill of the transmission ensuring that you use Subaru transmission fluid. A drain and fill only replaces around 50% of the fluid BUT you will be surprised how much difference fresh fluid makes to the transmission shifts in the 5EAT transmission.

Be aware that some aftermarket transmission fluids have be known to cause shifting problems which is why the suggestion is to use Subaru fluid.

Seagrass

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Here ya go .
The 3.6 is fitted with a 5EAT transmission NOT a 4EAT as shown in that video.

Depending on the actual transmission model the 5EAT transmission has a filter in the transmission that requires the transmission pan to be removed OR a spin on filter in the front guard which is accessed by removing the battery.

Seagrass

Reactions: cardoc

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Please do the simple things first as they just may solve the problem you are having.

A simple fluid change (forget about the filter) will quickly and cheaply determine whether the fluid is the problem or not. Using Subaru fluid will ensure the transmission is operating “as designed”.

If the transmission has old, thin, gludgy or non Subaru fluid in it currently this could be why you are having problems.

Seagrass

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
I will add that when I finally got home and shut the car off and got out, I could smell a faint burning smell that I had never smelled before- if that's ATF fluid then Subaru ought to be completely ashamed and embarrassed that all their transmissions seem to be utter trash.
I think you are at the point where forum members are unable to help you.

My suggestion is to take your vehicle to a Subaru dealer or well regarded independent Subaru workshop and pay them to diagnose the actual problem with your vehicle. These workshops have access to the correct systems to monitor auto transmission function including internal fluid pressures, valve body solenoid function etc.

In an earlier post I suggested you change the transmission fluid to see if it resolved your problem as this is a cost effective way you can determine whether the fluid is the cause and it is something you can easily do yourself.

Hope this helps,

Seagrass

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Let me try and write something simply and respectfully.

You came to this forum eleven days ago advising us you knew very little about Subarus and that you were used to your previous Hondas and how they operated. You share a problem with forum members and asked for advice from anyone who had a similar experience. Forum members, including myself, responded with their first hand experience and resolutions and encouraged you to consider this may also be the cause of your problems.

You continued to research your problem and became somewhat fixated on a solution of “reprogramming the TCU”. You were encouraged to try the simple things first, which it appears you did reluctantly.

When the advice of forum members did not resolve your problems you subsequently became agitated and now in post 32 you seem to be angry.

All this time no one has forced you to do anything and in good faith, forum members were sharing their resolutions to symptoms you outlined in your original and subsequent posts.

I respectfully suggest you not request advice from Internet forums if you cannot “own” your decisions.

This thread is now being closed

Seagrass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.