Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my favorite thing about the Outback is that it's so darn versatile.

It would make anyone's list of the top ten most versatile cars in the world. Really, this beauty can do it all.

I drive a 2006 Outback, 4 cyl, NA, with 113K on the clock, and fresh out of the shop, post-headgasket style. Yes, I'm poor, but the Blue Beast is purring once again. ;)

It's a fabulous car, and I enjoy it every time I turn the key.

However, I do like the new generation, particularly the 2013 version, with the new grille and big fogs. And the other engine stuff seems pretty cool as well, and I dig the new eye cameras up front.

I'll be reaching for my wallet in the next few years, but to turn that action into a quick-draw, here's what I would like to see:

A cypress green Outback, with saddle brown leather interior, wood grain trim, turbo-charged, hood scoop, and panoramic moonroof.

Oh, the utter bliss.

Yes, I'm dreaming, I know. Realistically, I don't think we'll see the panoramic moonroof again, and I don't think we'll see the hood scoop again (at least in this generation).

However, I'm wondering if they'll be a bit more generous with the saddle brown leather, and perhaps bring back the turbo.

What do you think? Perhaps I might have to wait for the next generation, 2015 or after? Or might the gods of Subaru smile down on me (and us) next year, or the year after?

Also, if you want, feel free to mention your idea of the "perfect" Outback. :29:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Turbos use gas and I don't see that happening with the dreaded 2016 CAFE looming.
My perfect Outback would be one that steers well.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I think my favorite thing about the Outback is that it's so darn versatile.

It would make anyone's list of the top ten most versatile cars in the world. Really, this beauty can do it all.

I drive a 2006 Outback, 4 cyl, NA, with 113K on the clock, and fresh out of the shop, post-headgasket style. Yes, I'm poor, but the Blue Beast is purring once again. ;)

It's a fabulous car, and I enjoy it every time I turn the key.

However, I do like the new generation, particularly the 2013 version, with the new grille and big fogs. And the other engine stuff seems pretty cool as well, and I dig the new eye cameras up front.

I'll be reaching for my wallet in the next few years, but to turn that action into a quick-draw, here's what I would like to see:

A cypress green Outback, with saddle brown leather interior, wood grain trim, turbo-charged, hood scoop, and panoramic moonroof.

Oh, the utter bliss.

Yes, I'm dreaming, I know. Realistically, I don't think we'll see the panoramic moonroof again, and I don't think we'll see the hood scoop again (at least in this generation).

However, I'm wondering if they'll be a bit more generous with the saddle brown leather, and perhaps bring back the turbo.

What do you think? Perhaps I might have to wait for the next generation, 2015 or after? Or might the gods of Subaru smile down on me (and us) next year, or the year after?

Also, if you want, feel free to mention your idea of the "perfect" Outback. :29:
Got the gen4 still miss my GT

DI H6 twin turbo GT wagon 6spd MT with WRX type seats. The sport wagon slayer that does almost every thing better than the OB. ;-) you said dream didnt you?

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,042 Posts
Hmmm let's see here...Perhaps a diesel version???? Euro roof rails?? Self-leveling rear suspension?? Locking diffs?? Oh crap I just woke up..:gasp:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting responses! :D

Turbos use gas and I don't see that happening with the dreaded 2016 CAFE looming.
My perfect Outback would be one that steers well.
Ok, I have to ask: I've never driven the current generation. What's up with the steering?

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
i think the hood scoop is gone for good, the 2014 forester xt is proof of this. my '11 is perfect for me its just lacking power. the '14 forester xt looks awesome, i can't wait to see the next outback. hopefully an xt option comes back. maybe the panaromic moon roof will come back eventually, i dont know. ya thatd be nice. diesel to this country, ha, maybe 2016 or later. this is america, we don't care about cars, only whats on tv at the moment.....

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
Drove a 13 yesterday (2.5), steering response was better than my 11 and the suspension is tighter, felt the rear roll, but not as much as the 11. However, I didn't feel a drastic suspension tightening.

Perfect OB no, just a slightly tighter suspension and a 3.6 that doesn't consume too much oil (oh yeah and 25mpg combined). 3.6 is great, wouldn't want any more grunt with the current height and suspension. Now some low end diesel grunt is a different matter... Maybe if gas goes to 7 bucks a gallon the U.S. driver will see the beauty in small diesel engines.

OB is a great balance of many things, but still a jack of all trades that is maybe best suited as a snow bunny with the right tires.

If wishes were horses, the OB would retain it snowshoe agility in snow and have the refined road composure of an audi. At almost 9" clearance, it ain't happening.

Don't care about the electronic goo gaws in her or the bummy heater, but the wife does.

Oh and has someone figured out a way to keep the ice blocks off the wipers (heated glass windshield strip weather package)?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love my 13 2.5 premium with the 19mm rsb and sti front strut bar. My ideal ob would have more power, if they brought over the forester xt engine or coupled the 3.6 with the new high torque cvt, without killing the mpg. I would love if they brought back the panoramic sunroof. And the dual exhaust out of the bumper, like the jdm legacy gt wagon, instead of turned down.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
im going to make a prediction, almost all of the suggestions are probably going to be what is currently offered on the legacy wagon in other countries.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
im going to make a prediction, almost all of the suggestions are probably going to be what is currently offered on the legacy wagon in other countries.
They offering LEDs overseas or here on the '13s? Domestic diesel or a Plug in option or better yet a combo would be sick. Bet that ain't offered yet across the pond or down unda.

I love my 13 2.5 premium with the 19mm rsb and sti front strut bar. My ideal ob would have more power, if they brought over the forester xt engine or coupled the 3.6 with the new high torque cvt, without killing the mpg. I would love if they brought back the panoramic sunroof. And the dual exhaust out of the bumper, like the jdm legacy gt wagon, instead of turned down.

I just might try that front strut myself, maybe wait till I have to swap out the struts (already had one OEM strut go bad). When I drove the '13 yesterday I was thinking that the manners would be just about spot on for it with the thicker RSB. Sounds like you got a winner. Power and mpg - the holy grail of ICE. Tesla-Subie OB cum BRZ JV?

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
202 Posts
SAP + 2.0t + CVT + reliable height adjustable suspension + up-to-date tech package.

And that last one is optional.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT w/ SAP, Brilliant Brown Pearl
33 Posts
SAP + 2.0t + CVT + reliable height adjustable suspension + up-to-date tech package.

And that last one is optional.
+1 On all. A higher horse/torque power with a turbo or diesel option would be quite nice. Haven't done my research on Ford's new ecoboost engines but if Subaru can engineer some variant to add power while maintaining decent gas mileage that would be great! I really don't see a market need at the moment for a mild off-road AWD hybrid.

I would also like to see less plastic or less plastic-y exterior features. The euro bottom side panels makes it look a lot more sleek. I like the larger fog lights on the 13s but the black plastic surrounding them could have been designed a little better in both style and quality of material if that makes sense.

Along the lines of materials. More dent-resistant body panels. I haven't dented mine yet but I'm sure I'll get a bunch of dings here and there in the future.

Different OEM roof rack rails. The stock ones are okay for my purposes but I'd like to see a little more flexibility with the cross bar width adjustment.

Better rear seat AC/heater control; whether it be a devoted blower for the rear or more channeled duct vents for the back seat.

Lastly, a usable E-brake that can be used in emergencies in case the brakes go out. After having the electronic 'parking' brake for awhile now, I still prefer the feel and added security of a manual brake lever.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
114 Posts
I'd like a power passenger seat, memory seats wo SAP, slightly longer seat cushions, a really modern infotainment system with excellent sound quality (maybe the MacIntosh system sold everywhere else) and a real iphone/android interface that displays google maps on the Subaru screen, and most of all a diesel for US/Canada getting 35-40+ mpg. And an MT for all trims.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
Hmmm let's see here...Perhaps a diesel version???? Euro roof rails?? Self-leveling rear suspension?? Locking diffs?? Oh crap I just woke up..:gasp:
This is what I am talking about!!!!
Throw in something resembling an on center feel to the steering and that would be perfect. :29:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts