Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I thought about my first Subaru purchase, I was trying to come up with an easy to remember vanity plate. I tried several tricky combinations of Subaru and Outback but they were all already taken. Then I tried several combinations of both my wife's and my names and even those were already taken. Just when I was about ready to give up and accept whatever random plate number the state would issue me, I decided to just type in the word "OUTBACK" and lo and behold that plate was available. Now,I'm trying to figure out if there was a previous license plate holder that just recently discontinued paying extra for that plate and even going so far as to try to figure out why such a thing might happen? Could they perhaps now be deceased and the vehicle was sold, or did they move on to another kind of vehicle and sell off their Outback recently? I guess I will never know what made that plate available at the precise time I was needing to renew my Michigan license plates, but I was both shocked and amazed that it turned out the way it did. I think I should be able to remember my license plate, now, even though I am a senior citizen..(wink)
Count me as one surprised old guy.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,555 Posts
I wanted "URABUS" but not to be.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,123 Posts
Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I apparently spoke too soon. Yesterday I got a mailing from the Michigan Secretary of State's office saying that they would not be able to issue me the personalized license plate "OUTBACK" afterall, because it would be a 'double issue', so I would have to choose another personalized label, instead. That really ticks me off, because I had used the state's online search program to double check the availability and then my local Secretary of State Office which is the state entity that issues license plates also checked it when I was actually ordering/buying the plate and they also said their computer showed it was AVAILABLE so I paid the required amount to have it issued to me and they printed me off a vehicle registration for the "OUTBACK" license plate. How is it possible that somebody else could have it if they were using the state sponsored computer program to assign licenses? Something feels 'fishy' to me.....That's for sure..

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,696 Posts
How is it possible that somebody else could have it if they were using the state sponsored computer program to assign licenses? Something feels 'fishy' to me.....That's for sure..
Simple incompetence is a far more sinister force in the world than evil intent. (It's also possible that somebody else applied at the same time as you ... you both would have seen the tag as "available" ... but your application came in second. Bummer. Also, some states place a 5-year hold on customized plates when they expire and aren't renewed.)

·
Registered
'99 Outback, '05 Outback, '15 Legacy, & Soon '18 Outback
38 Posts
Wow, I apparently spoke too soon. Yesterday I got a mailing from the Michigan Secretary of State's office saying that they would not be able to issue me the personalized license plate "OUTBACK" afterall, because it would be a 'double issue', so I would have to choose another personalized label, instead. That really ticks me off, because I had used the state's online search program to double check the availability and then my local Secretary of State Office which is the state entity that issues license plates also checked it when I was actually ordering/buying the plate and they also said their computer showed it was AVAILABLE so I paid the required amount to have it issued to me and they printed me off a vehicle registration for the "OUTBACK" license plate. How is it possible that somebody else could have it if they were using the state sponsored computer program to assign licenses? Something feels 'fishy' to me.....That's for sure..

Oh darn, so disappointing! So now what will your request instead? I'm looking for plates in CA for my wife's '15 Legacy and my soon-to-arrive '18 Outback. His/Hers-- hope I can get 'em!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts