Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I looked through the rules and couldn’t see a rule about posting here with a low post count, so I’ll see what happens.

I am in search of a specific Outback! I’d like a 2013 or 2014 (preferred) 3.6R with the special appreance package. This means it has the saddle brown leather, driver seat memory and a few other nice features I can’t remember off the top of my head. I really like the Gen 5 looks but I want lower mileage and $16-18k is the top of my budget. So the Gen 4 looks are growing on me and if I can get the SAP 3.6R I’ll be a happy camper.

Also looking at sub 85k miles and anything BUT black in exterior color.

Any help is appreciated! Trying to scour the FS items but finding OB’s for sale is not the easiest.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am looking for the same. What area of the country are you in? Does distance matter? I can point you to a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,279 Posts
with hunting for used, inadvertently the best ones you will come across will not be the color you want.

I would add eyesight on those 13-14 limiteds over color choice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking for the same. What area of the country are you in? Does distance matter? I can point you to a lot.

I’m in NE Ohio but at this point I don’t have many options here. So I am looking pretty much anywhere in the country. I’m willing to fly out and drive her back or work out a deal with the dealer for delivery.

Never bought a car out of state before but I’m willing for this.

All models with SAP come with the eyesight.

You are correct! Another reason I like it :smile2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
with hunting for used, inadvertently the best ones you will come across will not be the color you want.

I would add eyesight on those 13-14 limiteds over color choice.
Yeah I get that with the color. I know I’m being picky :grin2:. As much as black cars look nice overall IMO, my wife has had a black car for 10 years and really dislikes the dirt and salt she sees on it. I just don’t think it has worn well.

White seems to be the predominant color for what I’m looking at.

Oh and @mikeyvt, I am currently looking at one in Connecticut and Florida. I’ll see if I can post the links.

·
Super Moderator
25,279 Posts
Yeah I get that with the color. I know I’m being picky :grin2:. As much as black cars look nice overall IMO, my wife has had a black car for 10 years and really dislikes the dirt and salt she sees on it. I just don’t think it has worn well.

Oh and @mikeyvt, I am currently looking at one in Connecticut and Florida. I’ll see if I can post the links.

yeah, nothing like a black car to constantly remind you it needs to be washed. (better for it, but worse on your eyes).

·
Registered
132 Posts

Check out this listing on Autolist! https://www.autolist.com/listings/4S4BRDPC4E2218956?utm_source=iOS&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=vdp-share

Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/753612947/overview?aff=share_other

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the dealership in FL I think is a scam or really just super shady. Was not helpful at all over the phone and immediately wanted to get a reservation deposit....yeah no thanks...

The other dealership has never contacted me after I sent them a message. So they won’t earn my business now.

Working with a local Subaru dealer now to find exactly what we are looking for. Feeling hopeful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I think we found one!

Chicago with 45k miles. A little more than we thought we wanted to pay but at the same time, it’s a single owner and no accidents. All the others had more than one owner and some sort of damage. Or much higher mileage.

Will report back as things move forward. Working things out with the dealer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So I think we found one!

Chicago with 45k miles. A little more than we thought we wanted to pay but at the same time, it’s a single owner and no accidents. All the others had more than one owner and some sort of damage. Or much higher mileage.

Will report back as things move forward. Working things out with the dealer.

I reached out to that dealership a couple weeks ago. It was just in the body shop to get the passenger rear quarter fixed. I’m guessing previous owner backed into something. I can send you the pics they sent me. I ended up picking one up from Virginia last weekend.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I reached out to that dealership a couple weeks ago. It was just in the body shop to get the passenger rear quarter fixed. I’m guessing previous owner backed into something. I can send you the pics they sent me. I ended up picking one up from Virginia last weekend.

Are you looking for the same car as well? Must have missed that!

Are you taking about this one?
https://www.napletonsarlingtonsubaru.com/used/Subaru/2014-Subaru-Outback-Arlington+Heights+IL-d1f1312b0a0e0a6b71416791f244ab91.htm

I was told it just came in on trade. That’s why no photos....but at the same time he sent me photos of everything but the passenger side. Said it was going to be detailed and photo ready by this weekend.

It was not coming up on any searches I was doing in weeks prior until just this past weekend or maybe Monday actually. So I’m hoping it’s not the same one you’re talking about?

Send pictures regardless. I will dm you my email address.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you looking for the same car as well? Must have missed that!

Are you taking about this one?

https://www.napletonsarlingtonsubaru.com/used/Subaru/2014-Subaru-Outback-Arlington+Heights+IL-d1f1312b0a0e0a6b71416791f244ab91.htm

I was told it just came in on trade. That’s why no photos....but at the same time he sent me photos of everything but the passenger side. Said it was going to be detailed and photo ready by this weekend.

It was not coming up on any searches I was doing in weeks prior until just this past weekend or maybe Monday actually. So I’m hoping it’s not the same one you’re talking about?

Send pictures regardless. I will dm you my email address.

Yep sorry to tell you man but I found that one on a search a couple weeks ago. I forwarded you a pic of the rear quarter and the email convo I had with the salesman

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep sorry to tell you man but I found that one on a search a couple weeks ago. I forwarded you a pic of the rear quarter and the email convo I had with the salesman

I just saw that! Thanks for the photo and email. I’m not happy with this dealership and they will hear about it...:frown2:

Really appreciate you responding here and emailing me!

Can I ask more about your buying experience how long did you search for? You bought out of state? Did you get it inspected by 3rd party? Fly out and test drive? Drive back or get it delivered? Never bought out of state myself and I am reading a lot but I also don’t know anyone close that’s done it.

I’m looking at some of the sticky threads on the Gen4 right now. Anything super serious I need to look out for?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just saw that! Thanks for the photo and email. I’m not happy with this dealership and they will hear about it. Really appreciate you responding here and emailing me!

Can I ask more about your buying experience how long did you search for? You bought out of state? Did you get it inspected by 3rd party? Fly out and test drive? Drive back or get it delivered? Never bought out of state myself and I am reading a lot but I also don’t know anyone close that’s done it.

I’m looking at some of the sticky threads on the Gen4 right now. Anything super serious I need to look out for?

I’ve honestly been searching for the last 5 months. Yep I bought it out of state and drove it back. I’ve bought a few cars out of state prior to this one.

I asked for tons of photos and video walk around of the car, under carriage, car starting up and running and a short drive. I asked them to do an inspection on the car and found a local shop to do an inspection paid for by the dealer. If everything checked out then I started negotiations. If dollar amount sounded good then I flew out to inspect the car again and test drive before I signed anything.

Also I believe that dealership was asking around 20.5 for the outback but raised the price after it was repaired.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve honestly been searching for the last 5 months. Yep I bought it out of state and drove it back. I’ve bought a few cars out of state prior to this one.

I asked for tons of photos and video walk around of the car, under carriage, car starting up and running and a short drive. I asked them to do an inspection on the car and found a local shop to do an inspection paid for by the dealer. If everything checked out then I started negotiations. If dollar amount sounded good then I flew out to inspect the car again and test drive before I signed anything.

Also I believe that dealership was asking around 20.5 for the outback but raised the price after it was repaired.

Thanks for the info Mike. That is helpful advice as I’ve never bought a car out of state and was kind of getting a vibe from other dealerships that requesting that amount of info is not the way to go...even though that’s what I want. So it’s good to know I can do all of that and still maintain a relationship with the dealer.

I just laid it all out with this dealership in Chicago. Still skirting my questions and now waiting for him to contact me tonight. But as far I know, they are out of the question now.

There is another OB that fits the bill, except for the price being a bit high. And it’s the deep indigo pearl color, which is SO close to black (although looks really good). So I've yet to contact them. But at this point I may just go ahead this weekend and see what happens.

Still searching around on all the different car apps.

Btw Happy belated Thanksgiving all!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts