Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in years past I have had vehicles which came with Continental tires and I always hated them and swapped out early. From everything I have read here it sounds like not much has changed with them. I don't really want to spend a bunch more money on tires but I also don't want to ruin my new car/first Subie experience. so do they really still suck?

I am a Nokian guy, love their tires so, I would only go with the Nokian WRG2 SUV four seasons even though they are pricey, but not looking forward to another $1k.

·
Registered
Not a Subaru
43 Posts
Yup, they still suck. Mine had a constant drone at 30k and made driving long distant highway runs unbearable. Got rid of them early for a set of Michelins.

Refuse delivery until they put on some better tires.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have six months of winter, 5 months of in between, and 1 month of summer here, I also tend to get off road in the muck and gravel from time to time and can use traction in spring/summer/fall. With the Nokians I can leave on year round and cover all bases really well. I probably will use more sets over the life of the car, but thats okay if I get where I need to go! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have a 2013 CVT with over 13K on it. Tires have been fine for normal driving. I would simply go through them for about 40K and then get a set of whatever you want. These are not offroad tires and I will find out how they do in the Sierras next week, but they are not really that bad. I have driven them at sustained speeds of 80-90 miles per hour to Arizona and back two times, two times to Seattle (one time in torrential rain) and have had no negative issues.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have a 2013 CVT with over 13K on it. Tires have been fine for normal driving. I would simply go through them for about 40K and then get a set of whatever you want. These are not offroad tires and I will find out how they do in the Sierras next week, but they are not really that bad. I have driven them at sustained speeds of 80-90 miles per hour to Arizona and back two times, two times to Seattle (one time in torrential rain) and have had no negative issues.
Good to Hear. I think what I will do is drive it for a couple days. If they don't feel right then they are gone. Which will probably happen because I haven't seen asphalt in a while now, our roads are all ice and snow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What I have noticed on my 2013 CVT is that adding nitrogen (very cheap and worth it) to Continental tires and keeping front and back at 35 lbs. allows for excellent handling and very little wear on tires. On my other car a 2007 Honda Hybrid, I ran nitrogen from the start on the replacement tires and got over 85,000 miles on them (changed to Michelin in the Hybrid due to a Honda recall issue at 20K). Used the Costco $500 bonus with the new Subaru to replace those tires on Honda at 110K. Not sure why more people do not use nitrogen as it keep tires cooler and hardly every requires filling up due to leakage.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree Nitrogen is good, My OB came nitrogen filled but I changed tires next day so no longer. I don't run nitrogen only because I play with tire pressure a lot. In snowy winter I run them a little soft, then firmer the rest of the year, however, if I am heading off road I then again soften the air pressure. So nitrogen just isn't convenient for me. It is definately worth it for most people though. Apparently a little better MPG too.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
What I have noticed on my 2013 CVT is that adding nitrogen (very cheap and worth it) to Continental tires and keeping front and back at 35 lbs. allows for excellent handling and very little wear on tires. On my other car a 2007 Honda Hybrid, I ran nitrogen from the start on the replacement tires and got over 85,000 miles on them (changed to Michelin in the Hybrid due to a Honda recall issue at 20K). Used the Costco $500 bonus with the new Subaru to replace those tires on Honda at 110K. Not sure why more people do not use nitrogen as it keep tires cooler and hardly every requires filling up due to leakage.
As I'm sure others will forum slap you for this I'll just say this:

Air is 78% nitrogen so we don't see significant improvements that can be verified scientifically by using nitrogen in cars. If you get it for free, it won't hurt but please don't pay for it.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/10/the-truth-about-filling-your-tires-with-nitrogen/
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/car-advice/20070714_driving_dollars_tires_nitrogen_a1.asp
http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Tire-inflation-the-truth-behind-nitrogen/1715-432662-482.aspx
http://www.powertank.com/truth.or.hype/

Nitrogen in tires DOES NOT increase fuel efficiency. Correct Tire Pressure Does.

So in years past I have had vehicles which came with Continental tires and I always hated them and swapped out early. From everything I have read here it sounds like not much has changed with them. I don't really want to spend a bunch more money on tires but I also don't want to ruin my new car/first Subie experience. so do they really still suck?

I am a Nokian guy, love their tires so, I would only go with the Nokian WRG2 SUV four seasons even though they are pricey, but not looking forward to another $1k.
I had the continetals (I call them shipping tires) for about 1200 miles and got these: Xi2

MANY people on here will tell you the stock tires are fine, but few of them have to drive in the same terrain as you. Someone in the mid-west tells you the tires are fine in the snow and they just don't understand what mountains are. People's opinions from Colorado, Utah fine. Vermont...maybe. Edmonton? You most likely will be changing them.

Beautiful place up there, when you aren't spinning or rolling on the ice in your car.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I'm sure others will forum slap you for this I'll just say this:

Air is 78% nitrogen so we don't see significant improvements that can be verified scientifically by using nitrogen in cars. If you get it for free, it won't hurt but please don't pay for it.

I had the continetals (I call them shipping tires) for about 1200 miles and got these: Xi2

MANY people on here will tell you the stock tires are fine, but few of them have to drive in the same terrain as you. Someone in the mid-west tells you the tires are fine in the snow and they just don't understand what mountains are. People's opinions from Colorado, Utah fine. Vermont...maybe. Edmonton? You most likely will be changing them.

Beautiful place up there, when you aren't spinning or rolling on the ice in your car.
The Michelin Xi2's and now the Michelin Xi3's are really popular up here, along with the Blizzaks. For obvious reasons most people here use dedicated winter tires. I had to switch the stock tires day after purchase cause they really do suck in our snow/ice, and that's not debatable in these parts.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,312 Posts
Michelin. I've been using them for AS tires for years.
Yokohama is also a good long life AS tire. I had a set go over 100k miles.
Kumho is decent.
Milestar (?) if you are on a tight budget.
Kelly for good all season and a great performance grip.

I have a set of Michelin Harmony on my stock rims I just pulled off the car swapping for larger wheels. They have 40k miles on them and don't look it. Ride was smooth and quiet.

There are a lot of tire brands and types. Find one for where you drive.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
go with yokohama geolanders. i like my kumho ecsta 4x tires but they aren't so great off the road. im assuming thats why you have an outback. so it can go off the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts