Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just some pics of my new MY04 Outback. Isnt she a beauty?

Attachments

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics

By the way any1 know how to attach multiple pic files?

Attachments

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 more

Last pic

Attachments

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,112 Posts
First off, welcome to Outback.org! Glad to have another Australian here :D

Very cool Outback, just like Jondalar's. Is that tint factory or aftermarket? The tinting looks nice, not too dark but dark enough. If you wouldn't mind, I'm sure many here would appreciate your own personal review of your new Outback. If you'd like to write a review please visit This Thread and read over SubaH6's and Jondalar's reviews for pointers if you need them.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Hey nice car!

Hi Loopy, nice car, so much like mine :D How long have you had it?
Cheers from Brissy,
Karl :roadtrip:

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front view

Thanks for the welcome

Funnily enough, I live in the same Southeast area as Jondalar. Honestly, they should offer more colours lol.

The tint was aftermarket, (Courtauld - not sure if I spelt right)
35% tint darkest legal and i think 60% glare and heat reduction metallic film. Really need it for the australian summer and its cheaper and better than the dealership tint offered

Unfortunately they took off all the cool subaru stickers on the side window.

The rear window tint is not metallic but plastic because of the radio antenna is embedded in the window

I posted a review on a newsgroup server sometime ago, but i will repost it to this new forum

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Hi Jondalar

I have had the car since november last year. guess i will see you around on the roads hahaaha:D

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Re: Hi

loopy said:
Hi Jondalar

I have had the car since november last year. guess i will see you around on the roads hahaaha:D
Haha I look forward to it, so far only MY04 Outbacks I've seen on the roads here are mine and the ones being test driven.. The 3.0R is definitely the choice of them, drove a 2.5i and while it is still a lovely car, just doesn't feel as refined or sound as nice.

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
go 3.0R

Yea the 2.5 is a bit underpowered to try and drive all 4 wheels. The transmission drag is just too great. Love the 3.0 engine. I can't wait till I run in the engine and use the full power.. now being capped at 4000rpm at the moment.

Btw are you having any trim rattles on some road surfaces?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Loopy I've only done 450km so far but everything is tight so far, no rattles. You are still running in a car bought in November? Haven't you done 1600km yet? I think that will take me 3 weeks or less ;)

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jondalar said:
Loopy I've only done 450km so far but everything is tight so far, no rattles. You are still running in a car bought in November? Haven't you done 1600km yet? I think that will take me 3 weeks or less ;)
hahaha you got me there. i have only done 2500+... its my baby
so i am still in the process of running it in. waiting for it to reach the 6000km mark.

gave it oil and filter change at 700km and 1500km using Castrol Magnatech. It uses 1 1/2 5L bottles of oil around 7L... much more than what the service manual quoted. Will start using full synthetic once it reaches 6000km+ mark

Going to the dealer tomorrow where they will change the left front speaker cos it distorts for some reason unknow. so probably be over 3000km by the end of the week.

:D

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
So you don't trust the owners manual saying no oil change til 5000km and only 1600 km running in period? I know better to be cautious but not sure I can wait that long to have fun :p

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jondalar said:
So you don't trust the owners manual saying no oil change til 5000km and only 1600 km running in period? I know better to be cautious but not sure I can wait that long to have fun :p
well the technician at City Subaru said there is no need to change the oil so early. But my mate who does his own oil change of which I agree with what he said is that motor oils are an essential item and there is no need to go econo on it when the engine is depending on it for protection and smooth running.

His idea is that to use average oil such as the magnatech but to go on frequent changes such as every 5k with filter.

I want to use full syn later so I will try to stretch the window to approx 7~10k but the main idea is to change the filter at all times.

In regards to running in period.. yea its really annoying.. but i guess taking it slow wont do any more harm than doing it quick.

The main idea i think from all the ppl i have talked to and have read is to drive in various conditions and engine rpm rather than at a constant speed such as highway driving while remain below the recommended rpm cap.

·
Registered
turbo ej22t STI 5spd sport
20 Posts
ok that is a sexy motor. I in love all over.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :2:

·
Registered
2004 35th Anniversary Outback - H6
164 Posts
question? being a dumb ass as i am.. i guess in Australia thats a 04 and in the US its an 05? just wondering cuz my 04 don't look like that. also will that engine cover fit any H6?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
AUSMY04=USDM MY05

Hi Maverick,

Yep the Aus MY04 is the same as the USDM MY05, we got to start buying them sometime in October 03. Actually the MY concept is rather foreign to us Aussies, tend to just designate a car by the year it's released here, although Subaru do tend to use the MY designation here too.

Cheers,
Karl

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,112 Posts
MaverickOutback said:
question? being a dumb ass as i am.. i guess in Australia thats a 04 and in the US its an 05? just wondering cuz my 04 don't look like that. also will that engine cover fit any H6?
Mav, Subaru has always released their new models a year ahead of their U.S. release in Australia, Japan, and abroad. Like Losiho's OB for example is a MY1999 Outback (Australian) although his style OB like ours didn't hit the U.S. until MY2000. Its pretty stupid IMO seeing as how the U.S. market is the largest and also the market Subaru is looking to make the biggest expansion in. That being said I think that they wait so they can custom tailor what they have in all foriegn markets to the U.S. market. *DUH, Kevin* Case and point the new USDM 2005 Legacy and Outback.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I also think that it's partly because Japan is Right Hand Drive and so is Australia, although of course large parts of Europe are LHD so not sure how significant that is..

CHeers

Karl

Hero Boots said:

Mav, Subaru has always released their new models a year ahead of their U.S. release in Australia, Japan, and abroad. Like Losiho's OB for example is a MY1999 Outback (Australian) although his style OB like ours didn't hit the U.S. until MY2000. Its pretty stupid IMO seeing as how the U.S. market is the largest and also the market Subaru is looking to make the biggest expansion in. That being said I think that they wait so they can custom tailor what they have in all foriegn markets to the U.S. market. *DUH, Kevin* Case and point the new USDM 2005 Legacy and Outback.

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MaverickOutback said:

I havent taken the engine cover off and see how it all fits together so I cant answer you on that one. It looks really good doent it:D

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Jondalar and Loopy,

I didn't worry too much about run in techniques in my new 3.0R. Not to say I thrashed it, but I occassionally went to 6000rpm (not full throttle though) after I had done about 300kms and progressively gave it some, more often, as the kms built up.

I've done about 9,000kms so far and it hasn't used a drop of oil, whereas I babied my last H6 through the break in period and it used quite alot of oil throughout its life. I think about 100ml per 1000kms until I switched to full synthetic and then it dropped back to about 50ml per 1000km.

With the current 3.0R, I changed the oil at 1600kms and put the Shell Helix Plus 5W30 semi synthetic (10% I think) and then did the normal change at 5000km. I am about to do another change now at 9000km and will then go to full synthetic Amsoil or Neo (diester based which is the best base for synthetic) 5W30.

So far the motor is freeing up really well and the power delivery is fantastic! This is a great car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts