Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, hey everyone....i dont have my outback yet....but as soon as i clean out my maxima and salvage everything i can from my bloodsucking insurance company, i'll get my check and go pick up my outback.... it looks like i'm gettin a 98 white outback 5 spd. wagon...... i like to do lots of research on a car when i get it and i've been to neons.org when i had my neon, custommaxima.org with my maxima, and i figure this is an awesome place to get to kno some of the pros, the cons, and some traits i should be looking for with my outback..... as for right now, all i kno about it since i've taken it for a test drive is that it has 137,000 miles on it and the clutch petal has to go nearly through the floor to work.....not sure if that's normal or if it's adjustable yet, but if ya got any ideas, lemme kno....other than that, i really look forewards to chattin with yas and i hope i love my outback as much as i have my previous 2 cars.

Attachments

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Yeah, welcome to the site. Lots of good technical info available around here.

Where in northeast PA? (My father's family all came from Dallas--outside of Wilkes Barre)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Yep you found the place, welcome aboard!

The clutch actuation is hydraulic, so see if you can have them check the fluid level, and check for leaks. The slave cylinder is on top of the tranny, you can look right at it from under the hood.

Do you know this trick to test for slippage - get some RPMs going in third, then stomp it and see if the engine revs without bringing the car along...

Ask whether the head gaskets have been replaced. Look for signs of dark gray residue inside the overflow bottle (failure puts exhaust in coolant). In fact, see if you can test drive it for at least half an hour; if they're bad, the car can start overheating in as little as 10 - 15 minutes.

Find a place where you can turn the steering from lock to lock while crawling forward and backward; listen for any clunking or grinding.

And when you get it on some snow, GET THAT GRIN OFF YOUR FACE.

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey

i'll have to check on the fluid in the clutch hydro cylinder..... the feel is good, only thing is ya have to put it almost all the way to the floor... i did take it through some snow on sunday when we got our 13 inches and WHOA was i impressed...i did have that really big smile on my face that u'r talkin about.... i did take it for a test drive for about 45 min and no overheating whatsoever... in my old neon, they are notorious for head gaskets so i kno the symptoms and i'm seein none of them.... as for where i'm at, dallas is about 20 min south of me...i'm from a small town called Tunkhannock, altho it's not very small anymore. but thanx for all the info....i might be pickin it up next monday or so.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am doing about the same thing as you are... going from a maxima (95 with 175,000) to an outback (looking ot 03-04 LL Bean).

Loved the Maxima... time to move on.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Fester, replace and bleed the fl;uid in clutch hydraulics. it needs to be done on a 137Kmi car anyway, and i suspect it will solve yr clutch issues. do your brake fluid too while you're aT IT if you're feeling energetic. it sounds like your clutch itself is fine.

Liz, why do you say 3d gear? you been drivin too manyof them GM oh-so-magic trans barges too long?? you get way more torque multiplication in 1st so that's where it will slip 1st. this why they sometimes tell [owners of Lesser Cars] to start out in 2d in snow/ice, so it won't light em up. try getting car going from rest and then nailing throttle hard and watching revs vs mph and listen to see if revs are too high.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I always heard you should check for slippage in a higher gear because it takes more effort through the clutch to accelerate the car.

Think of being on a bicycle, you're the engine as you power the crank - in a low gear the bike will launch but in a high gear you can stand on the pedals and struggle to take off.

So, in a low gear a slippy clutch should still be able to get the car going, but in a high gear it would not be able to transmit a big push on the throttle.

Or, maybe I've inhaled too much Gumout in my day...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, one thing i'm really finding out is that the outback is in no ways close to the performance of the maxima....however, the upside to the equasion is my insurance went down about 150 bux a year, my maxima was goin through tires like crazy cuz it was too easy to burn em....it was way too easy to go fast in the maxima....tickets, deer, car gone......and the maxima is no match for the subie in the snow. who knew u could spin the outback like a top on a snow covered parking lot?!?!?? i'll tell ya, i've had my days with fast cars, or what i assume to be pretty decently performed cars.... but i still love the looks i get when i get next to a lil ricer blasting his system.... the subie has no rattles in it at all and when i crank it up, all i get is stares and dropped jaws.... notin can beat it!!!

another question i had maybe could get answered, when i got the car, it didnt have a keyless entry with it....it might already have the remote entry, but i didnt get any remotes....where can i get them, how can i tell if my outback is equipped with them besides the fact that it's pwr locks, and how, if possible, do ya program a remote... um, also i need to find another fog light for the passenger side and not sure if there's any cheap places online to get them from besides goin to a junk yard. lol, and one more thing....is there ANY shortcut to changin the spark plugs on this car???? and also, i'm lookin for a pushbar/shield to go on the front of it....any suggestions??? well, that's all i can think of for now....thanx again ppl!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
festerfm
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing