Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving back from a long road-trip when all the sudden this big chunk of somethingorother flew up from the car in front of me and pelted the hood of my car. (See photo's below). I'm looking for auto-body advice. How difficult will it be to have this hole and the scratches repaired? Color match the paint and all. Not seen in this photo are two 2-inch scratches just above the hole...scratched down to the metal. I wanna cry

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
Man what a hole,your sure lucky that it did'nt make it to the windshield.I wonder what the heck it could have been to poke a hole in the hood like that.Now its time for a new Baja Turbo hood.That color looks like mine,Regatta Red Pearl?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Dang, that looks nasty. When my 98 was about a month old I was behind someone on the freeway, and they ran over a section of truck tire tread about as big as my leg. It bounced up and went under my car, tumbling and bumping along the bottom. I thought, well that's a test for the factory skid plates. The car was OK except for a small diagonal scratch on the grille.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Baja Turbo said:
Man what a hole,your sure lucky that it did'nt make it to the windshield.I wonder what the heck it could have been to poke a hole in the hood like that.Now its time for a new Baja Turbo hood.That color looks like mine,Regatta Red Pearl?
Ya, I think thats the name of the color. I thought about just getting a new hood, scoop and such. Got a good source for them? Though I imagine the color matching and price of the hood would cost a ton more than fixing the hole and scratches.

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
I read somewhere that the hood cost around $300.00 and the scoop insert about $100.00 the hood is already primed,ready for paint.Theres gonna be some kind of filler used on the repair,that part of the hood is double wall so they can't get to it from the back side.Either they'll have to blend that part of the hood in or paint the whole hood.I think you'll be suprised by the cost of the repair,to get it done right its gonna be up there.Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just spoke to my little brother about it. He does auto repair, mechanical mostly but dabbles in body work. He said I should be prepared to drop a grand on the repair. He suggested either new hood or just getting to patched enough to prevent rust and putting a bra on it like I had been thinking about anyway.

·
Registered
2004 Legacy Outback
17 Posts
After seeing that I think I'll be getting one of those acrylic guards for my front end. An ounce of prevention.......

Bummer about your hood though...good luck!

·
Registered
'02 H6 Sedan - gone :(
169 Posts
Welcome to the club. I got one in the same spot from a rock that fell off of a truck hauling a backhoe. It didn't puncture the metal, but left a nice hefty mark.

Must be something about the Regetta Red (same color as mine). Reminds me that I still need to purchase my bug shield soon to mask the injury.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i think your bro is right on cost. it will prob require some welding in of metal to fix the hole. is this something yr ins will cover? hope you aren't carrying $1K deductible...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, just a $500 deductible. But I am reluctant to claim it on insurance since those blood sucking leeches look for any excuse possible to raise rates. I have not one ticket or claim against my policy in over 15 years.

I'm planning to go the cheap route. I am going to get it patched enough to prevent rust then cover the nose with a full bra. Was planning on the bra anyway so that expense is not an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts