Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now 10 days into ownership of my '05 Champagne Gold Opal OBXT Limited I thought I'd share with potential owners my opinion of the options I purchased with the car...

Floor Mats: The slush and snow black plastic mats fit perfectly, and have remained pliable even in 10 degree (F) weather. A good addition if you will be out and about in snow and mud.

Cargo Nets: I have all of them, the side, middle, and rear ones for the cargo compartment. I''m glad I got the side ones - easy to stuff things in there without impinging on the cargo area. The other ones I expect to occasionally use, but I could probably do without.

Subwoofer: Make the so-so stereo in the OBXT tolerable. I'd get it again.

Auto-dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass: I really got this just for the homelink feature (lets you program the buttons to work your garage doors, so you don't have to have a handheld one in the car). I find the compass useless for any purpose whatsoever, and I'd rather dim my own rear view mirror than have the larger auto-dimming one cluttering up my windshield. In retrospect, I'd get the Homelink sun visor from an LL Bean OB and modify the wiring to work on the XT (as described on legacygt.com).

Armrest Extension: Can't live without it.

Subaru 12V hand-held spotlight: Got this for free. Nice to have, fits perfectly in rear side cargo compartment. Overpriced - get them to throw it in at the last minute like I did.

Short Throw Shifter: Yippee! It makes the shifting more sporty and brisk, and you move your arm less far to shift. A winner on all accounts. One of those options that once you've had it you really miss it if you drive one that doesn't have it. My advice is do not try a car with the STS unless you are planning to buy one. Once you use the STS the stock shifter, which is just fine, feels rubbery.

Nokian WR tires: Got ride of the Potenzas due to the many negative comments on safety in rain and snow. The WRs are a little noiser on dry roads, definitely way better on ice and snow. They have a softer feel on dry roads, turn in is not as good as the Potenzas despite the XL sidewall designation. I'll have to see how they fare in summer and heat.

Hope this helps others who are looking at XT's and wondering about the merits of the dealer options.

Oh, and as to color (colour for the Canuckians)...they all look fine. I got Champagne Gold as I thought it looked pretty classy and is very similar to the color of the dirt on cars around here (hence might hide dirt well). But really, all the colors look great. The best color is definitely the one sitting in YOUR driveway!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Re: My opinions of my OBXT Selected Options

OneOBS said:

I bought a set of Lincoln Mercury sunvisors off eBay for $30, ripped the Homelink module out of them and put it in my OBS. One of the best mods I've ever done.

Absolutely brilliant! Now why didn't I think of that.....:flush:

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Great report Tiger. I did not want the auto-diming mirror, so I cannot offer any judgement there, and I passed on the cargo nets (figured they be a pain for the dog). Nor did they give me the spotlight.

I have yet to change the tires (wish I had had the info on the Crapenzas when I ordered in June--oh well).

The rest I got, and I am glad I did. The mats are great, especially for our climate; the subwoofer sends pulses of bass through the driver's butt (seriously); the short throw is wonderful; and the armrest extension is indespensible.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My thoughts

Great post--I wish I could have read it before buying mine. I've had my OBXT for 14 days now and I wasn't overwhelmed with enthusiasm at being forced to by what I feel are superficial (and easy to purchase aftermarket) options. For the most part though, I am happy with the “options” I was required to buy. Here are my $.02:

Floor mats: Along with the subwoofer, these were the only option I actually planned on buying. They are great and I’m stoked to have a brand new set of carpet floor mats to throw in it when I eventually trade it in.

Subwoofer: I must have had some pretty crappy car stereos in my life because I think this one is GREAT! It has very decent depth of sound (IMHO) and plays plenty loud enough for my tastes.

Auto Dimmer w/Homelink: I DIDN’T want a $260 mirror but couldn’t get them to take it off. It is my first auto dimmer and I actually kinda like it now that I’m used to it. I like the compass too, although I haven’t gotten lost to the point where I needed it yet. The Homelink isn’t my favorite thing though. I can’t put the rear view mirror in the glove box when there are bikes on the roof like I used to do with my opener to avoid bike-to-garage incidents. Also, the range isn’t as good as on my opener. Still, I DO like the clean look of the visors without a clicker hanging from one them. I put a rubber band over the homelink button when I am carrying bikes--that should be enough to stop me from driving them into the garage...

Nets: I thought the side nets would be nice and they are--I use them a lot. The back net seemed pretty worthless to me, but I actually use it too so I don’t have any complaints with being forced to buy (relatively) inexpensive nets.

Arm Rest Extension: This would be really cool if it extended another inch out and another inch up. As it is, it’s not far enough out for my seating position/arm height, and it kinda makes it a pain to get into the center counsel. If this were a $50 option, I would be happy with it, but I wish I would have pushed back a little harder on getting it cheaper than the invoice price of $100+...

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have the plain old auto-dim compass mirror (no homelink) and I like the compass feature... Kind of a good idea IF you're in the backcountry and you have a general notion of where you want to go. Or if you're completely clueless and need to know if you're on I-95 north or south!!!

I think the side cargo nets would be useful, the one that goes right in the back is kind of a pain since it impedes you putting anything in your wagon unless you disconnect it all the time. I just stuffed mine in one of the side pockets.

Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Jay H
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing