Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ignored the fact that my Subie seemed to lean to the left when setting in the garage. I figured the floor had a little slant to the drain. Well I finally decided to check. Yup the left side is 1/2" lower than the right. I measured at the wheel well, and to the bottom of the door handles. Bringing it in today to get it checked out. They'll probable try to blame it on the heavier duty sway bar. but it was tilting prior to me installing it.

Will let you know what the outcome is later.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
466 Posts
Good luck; this is well documented in other areas of the forums and there's practically nothing they can do about it; in fact, they'll take you out to the lot and show you how basically every other one does this and just ignore it.

It bugs the **** out of me in the garage where I have a straight-line frame of reference, however any other time I don't even notice it

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
My 4runner leaned. My G500 leaned. My friend's Lexus GX leaned.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
I ignored the fact that my Subie seemed to lean to the left when setting in the garage. I figured the floor had a little slant to the drain. Well I finally decided to check. Yup the left side is 1/2" lower than the right. I measured at the wheel well, and to the bottom of the door handles. Bringing it in today to get it checked out. They'll probable try to blame it on the heavier duty sway bar. but it was tilting prior to me installing it.

Maybe you should have purchased a 2012 rather than a 20120.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts

Maybe it is to compensate for the weight of a driver as sole the occupant.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
My 4runner leaned. My G500 leaned. My friend's Lexus GX leaned.
Your 4 runner probably leaned rearwards as well. They all look like they are doing wheelies. Did Toyota put a bunch of bad springs in these vehicles?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Maybe it is to compensate for the weight of a driver as sole the occupant.
That must be it but they forgot to switch sides for the US market being the driver sits on the left and the sag is on the left.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Heavy steering wheel?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The center of the road is higher than the shoulder. The lean compensates for the crown of the road so the car drives level.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The Box of Sees Candy under your seat for those emergency snack attacks could be the culprit or possibly the Jumbo 32oz fruity slurp in the driver side cup holder. ;-)

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Perhaps it's deliberate to compensate for the slight tilt to the right most roads have, to facilitate drainage?

Maybe they were inspired by NASCAR...

Edit: Maybe I should have read upflying's earlier post before making this one...

The center of the road is higher than the shoulder. The lean compensates for the crown of the road so the car drives level.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, as the other article pointed out here, a lot of others have the same problem. The dealer says they measured on their very level garage and saw no difference. Put it up on the rack and said no leaking struts, etc. Said maybe my garage floor tilts!! Well the car still should show the same measurement from the floor to the top of the wheel arches I would think. Anyway, forgot to back it into the garage to see if the sag reverses. Bet it don't!!! Will let ya know how that works out later.

LATER
Backed it in the garage, no difference! Even measured from the floor to the area you use when jacking it up. Also 1/2" difference. I really don't know what to do about this???

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts
"Better then the right" is what i always say! LOL

Holy crap...

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
Perhaps it's deliberate to compensate for the slight tilt to the right most roads have, to facilitate drainage?
See two post like this.. That may be a correct statement in the design. It would end up tracking straight on a road with a crown instead of wanting to drift toward the right as most cars would..... of course that is just a theory...

Of course it could also be so it's easier to grab that 1000 calorie milk shake at mcdonalds, and the weight of the driver has caused it to sag in the process... :D In that case you need the optional kryptonite springs!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.