Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05 Outback 2.5i limited
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work this morning, in the wonderful driving Seattle rain, I was going up a small hill, when all of the sudden, the transmission kicked down a gear. Nothing odd about that, but almost at the same time, I heard that horrible knocking that never leads to a positive experience, and then the oil light and check engine light came on. Then the tach went to 0. I coasted over to the side of the road and was engulfed in oil smoke. it wouldn't turn over, so it is locked up. Got it towed home and now it sits. I am sure it was a sight to see my wife came to save me and tow me home using my BMW 540i!
So, it is a 2005 Subaru Outback Limited. 2.5L with an automatic.
I will be looking for a used engine. What years are a bolt in replacement? If things are different, like the eng. management computer, will the one out of the donor car work? Well, I am sure y'all know the questions I am wondering, so lets hear some advice. I am mechanically inclined, but not so much with remapping computers and such, so as far as the electronics go, I will have dumb guy questions!
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
What years are a bolt in replacement? If things are different, like the eng. management computer, will the one out of the donor car work?
2006 and up 2.5's have the variable valve lift cam, which would require the corresponding engine control module and the engine wiring harness etc, at the least.

In some ways, 2005 was a sort of transition year between the 2nd Gen and the full 3rd Gen (2006-9). For example, the 2005 starter system wiring circuit carries over the use of a separate security interlock relay whereas the 2006 doesn't have a separate security relay.

Consequently, it might get tricky in regard to which engine compartment wiring harness will be compatible with the replacement engine and the rest of the car. Not saying a 2006+ engine wouldn't work; just be prepared to look into these possible issues.

·
Registered
05 Outback 2.5i limited
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car only has 152,600 miles on it. It is meticulously maintained...but has the ghostwalking issue that still needs fixed. This car has been a nightmare since the day I bought it with 132 miles on it! I bought a Subaru due to the reputation of dependability and longevity. I have had to deal with recalls for rear wheel bearings, headlights that need replaced almost monthly, the ghostwalking issue that Subaru won't admit to existing and a variety of issues with interior components. I do like the Outback, but I have really been let down by this car. I paid a lot of money for a car that has ended up costing me a lot of money! I have been calling around looking for used engines, looking at about $2k for used, $3K for rebuilt. Then comes labor and consumables like gaskets and hoses. I would rather change it myself, but I am having my knee replaced 12-18, and with X-mas shopping still happening, an extra $3K isn't going to be found.
I was talking to a supplier of used Jap engines that said the 2.5L is $1999.00, but there is a "bolt in" replacement that is a 2.0L that is 20 HP less and can be had for $995. HAs anyone heard of this? The 2.5L is short on power as it is, I don't know if I want to lose another 20 of them! I really wish this car would disappear!
I thank you all for the tips!
Bill

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Some years it is common to go from a DOHC 2.5 to a 2.2. You are a SOHC 2.5 so no need to trade down. Yes 2006 is a new engine design so they may be pricey. If you are looking at 2K for a used engine look and see how much rebuilts go for.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i would TOTALLY go for that 2.0 engine if it works. less power but should be very robust engines like the 2.2 and 1.8's which are some of Subaru's best. unless you get confirmation though i wouldn't expect it to play with the variable valve lift stuff?

options.

1. get a short block ONLY and bolt your heads and intake (which means you retain all your original variable valve lift and wiring). you would expand your years for sourcing parts since the short blocks are interchangeable across more years than the long blocks. i've done this before but not with a 2005....almost positive though that you'd be able to use 2000 - 2009 EJ25 short blocks. (and 99 RS and Forester). Heck you could probably use even earlier 96-98/99 EJ25's (which I have done) but you'll probably need thicker headgaskets due to a physical constraint on those earlier blocks.

*** here is why i like this option - if you do this that means you should be able to get a better price for the motor (expanding options and needing fewer parts) and you can also install the much better EJ25 Turbo headgasket. After your horrible luck...i mean, all you've been through!! - don't install one of the famously failure prone EJ25 headgaskets - do it right now while you got the chance! It is not comforting to hear you going through all of this only to buy a used motor with what...another headgasket issue looming? I'd rather avoid that.

this assumes your heads are still good and useable. But you can buy used heads too.

if you wanted really cheap and reliable you could probably even entertain use EJ22 short block but that would take some research to make sure you can bolt your EJ25 heads to it. you can do it with earlier EJ25 heads, even 2004's, i'm just not familiar with EJ25/EJ22 swapping in 2005+ models.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
but there is a "bolt in" replacement that is a 2.0L that is 20 HP less and can be had for $995.
almost all EJ engines are "bolt in" - even a 1993 EJ18 and 1990 EJ22 will "bolt in".....what you need is something that is plug-and-play with no electronics wiring needed.

i'd be all about using that 2.0 motor though if it worked.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
If you wanted to get really cheap it looks as if your heads will bolt up to an EJ22 block....that would be the cheapest solution and quite possibly the most reliable, though you'd take a power hit due to the smaller block and lower compression ratio.

·
Registered
06 VDC H6
257 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck, But I will say a 7-8 year old car with 150K miles, blowing an engine is not completely unheard of. Doesn't matter who the maker is it can happen. We bought our subaru to replace my wife's 2005.5 TDI jetta. She bought it new, and after about 70K (of meticulous maintenance) parts just started falling off that car. By 120K it was needing 600-1000$ every 6 months.. So far the subie (06 H6 bought with 58K) has only needed CV boots, and some tape on the dome light switch... She's only at 83K now, but so far so good..

I hope you get her going and it is trouble free from here on out!
Jonathan

·
Registered
144 Posts
What exactly failed? (Did I miss it?) Did a rod blow a hole in the block?

What kind of oil and viscosity have you used throughout the life of the car? Would be interesting to know if it had any bearing on the failure. (pun intended :))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts