Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been two years now (since I introduced it), time for an update.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/87-new-member-user-look-here/84138-so-i-joined-earlier-summer-but-i-have-another-new-subie-too.html#post869401

I absolutely love this car. It took me years to finally get my hands on one, but I did it and for a decent price too. Which is good, because in two years we went from two single adults with no children and two paid off cars renting a small home in early 2011 to parents, married six weeks later, first home next summer, to our newest most expensive auto loan (2009 3.0R) in June of 2013. About six weeks later I was coming home from work.

Now we had two car payments. Ooops. Impulse buy, but she could tell I was smitten and knew I wanted one and liked how it was so useful. I took out a 36mo loan so payments were super cheap compared to the Outback.

I've only put about 7k miles on it. I drove it alot the first summer and then parked it for most of the winter, only driving it a couple times during/after snowfall and before the salt came out, it was a blast but worn rear shocks all seasons at 50% tread combined with a stage IIish engine meant I had to be really careful.

I was working out of town alot and during a late winter thaw I took it up north where I was working (110 mi round trip) for a few days. Almost back to Green Bay one day a car pulled out in front of me on the right going about 40mph on the highway. I tapped the brake to turn off cruise, checked my mirror and signalled while I coasted. I shifted into 4th and hit the gas. Hmmm. I pushed harder. Still not much boost. Uh oh.

I was a couple miles from my exit so I shifted back into 5th and kept the RPMs low. I got off the highway, went through a carwash and parked it. It sounded fine at idle but at 2k I could hear the turbine start to make contact with the housing.

Last summer I worked out of town too much but I was gathering my parts. I did research. I found an EJ255 shortblock with a spun rod bearing, just in case. Literally. I've been working on cars half of my life now, a turbo imploding can be a bad bad thing. I got all of the gaskets together. Air filter. Antifreeze. I collected jugs of Rotella T6 when it was on sale or had rebates, and a few jugs of el cheapo and cheap syn blends for a pour through and the first couple hundred miles. I stocked up on the late model RX-8 Tokyo Roki oil filters and crush washers. By recommendation I grabbed an AEM UEGO so I can have a friend go over the tune and an el cheapo boost gauge. Eventually I found a low mile turbo with zero shaftplay off an 07-08 WRX, and I scored it for $125. My mind was blown how many TD04s out there with 100k miles on them some kid is asking for $300. Crazy fools.

Banjo filter. Ugh. Oil starvation.....broken impeller shaft. It was owned (2nd owner)by an older gent from IL. His son was into WRXs etc so it had some things done to it but he babied it and maintained it quite well. Except for the banjo filter. I assumed it had been removed, it had a TurboXS and an Xcceleration 3" DP & TBE on it. Whomever installed it was right there, it would have taken an extra 15mins to pop the line off, remove the filter and clean the line. Dammit.

Finally this spring I got it back together and running. Just over 3k miles on it since the turbo swap. Oil changed at 5, 50, 200, 1000, and 2000 miles. Going to change it again at 3500. It's been using a bit of oil though, but I've been a bit harder on it since about 1500. It's used about a half quart since 2000 miles on the trip. Oh well, good thing I found that shortblock. I didn't remove the one for the AVCS, and I wasn't about to take the cam gears off and clean the AVCS screens. Looking back I probably should have but I didn't have the extra time and money to get a waterpump and TB kit too. It's got another 50k yet, if the motor holds up I'll change it then. I didn't pony up for anew oil cooler either for the same reason.

We'll see how it goes, it's not my DD so if it does eat the motor hopefully it doesn't happen until after next summer when it's paid off. :wink2:

Questions or comments? I'll post more pics later if you guys would like. In Sept. a VW friend of mine has a dyno day planned, so I want to have my tune gone over with a fine toothed comb and put it up on the rollers. My friend Eric is working on a TDI swapped R32 track rat. It's going to be a beast, 35psi and 450lbft of torque. The interior is gutted and he is trying to get it under 3k lbs. :surprise:

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't go through with the dyno day, the place was a bit shady and not very customer friendly. He neglected to tell the organizer that awd would be a decent bit extra and they refused to "set it up" to read torque because of the number of people coming and that it "takes too long." No torque readings. For a bunch of TDI enthusiasts. What a sham.

Anyways, been just driving and enjoying it. About 56xx miles post turbo swap. Still using a bit of oil. Still keeps me awake at night sometimes. Still love it though.

Sunset in Door County, WI

Tailgating before a Packer game

Subaruing in Nicolet National Forest

lunch break

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice House Your Brat is parked in front.
Good call on nixing the shady dyno place. No point in wasting $ of
Sad thing is, the only awd dyno within at least a 2.5hr drive. I've heard lots of sketchy things about them. I also watched the supposed "first big turbo Genesis coupe" in the country built and driven by them burn at a drifting event a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn't mean anything. Frank wants to catch fire every day.
But Frank is not a brand new car practicing donuts around a barrel in a parking lot and owned by some shady shop.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a fairly good day with the Baja today. Other than my gas cap trim cover coming off in the car wash, then coming home and reading the mail from yesterday I got my airbag recall.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rolled over 170k today as well as 14k post turbo.

But it was bittersweet, it idled a little rough this morning and popped a CEL on the way to work before those milestones. P0134. Dammit.

·
Premium Member
15,919 Posts
O2 eaten up after all the mileage...or something else? Doesn't sound terrible. At least it still has a spool...

Present company excluded...

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O2 eaten up after all the mileage...or something else? Doesn't sound terrible. At least it still has a spool...

Present company excluded...
It still pulls like an Outbrat outta ****. >:)

Sorry about Frank man. At least we are both smart enough to have a daily beater and a paid off racecar.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's 4 degrees F out, a foot of snow on the ground. Baja is hibernating, I miss it. A cruddy layer of dirt, salt, and coal dust cover the other two.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are you getting?
I'm buying a set of BC Racing BRs off another Baja owner. Says they have 12k on them. They are coming from LA so they havent seen winter nastiness. Hopefully they won't have to but we shall see.

·
Premium Member
15,919 Posts
I'm buying a set of BC Racing BRs off another Baja owner. Says they have 12k on them. They are coming from LA so they havent seen winter nastiness. Hopefully they won't have to but we shall see.
When you get them. Can you do me a favor. The front top spring/perch has a bearing. If it is a KOYO bearing can you post the bearing number. can you also check the play in the bearing before preloading the spring. That means loosening up the spring.

It may be a benifit to you. I have anasty strut tower rattle. From those bearings. BR replaced them for me. The new ones are the same. There is wobble in the bearing when unloaded. Even after preload, they rattle.

I am in the process of sourcing a tapered thrust bearing from SKF which is a whole different animal than a cartridge ball bearing. Way stronger.But I want feedback from others with the BC BRs.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you get them. Can you do me a favor. The front top spring/perch has a bearing. If it is a KOYO bearing can you post the bearing number. can you also check the play in the bearing before preloading the spring. That means loosening up the spring.

It may be a benifit to you. I have anasty strut tower rattle. From those bearings. BR replaced them for me. The new ones are the same. There is wobble in the bearing when unloaded. Even after preload, they rattle.

I am in the process of sourcing a tapered thrust bearing from SKF which is a whole different animal than a cartridge ball bearing. Way stronger.But I want feedback from others with the BC BRs.
Sorry Chuck, just saw this. It'll be a bit before I get them bolted up. I didn't plan on touching them, just bolting them on.

·
Premium Member
15,919 Posts
Sorry Chuck, just saw this. It'll be a bit before I get them bolted up. I didn't plan on touching them, just bolting them on.
You will feel it from the wheel, unless you are numb....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts