Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent my Saturday removing the engine from the Outback due to a headgasket problem. A BIG thanks to Gary, Nate and The Lizard for the help. Could not have done it without you.

Click here for pics!

Some were taken last night. The clutch looks good for another 140K! :D The shortblock still shows cross hatch marks in the cylinder bores. I have ordered the bulk of the parts and have spent over $500. I am also doing a few things (like the waterpump) because it is easy to do now.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
So what other components are you going to replace now that everything is in front of you? Great pics, I think I saw some Nebraska dirt on that engine! Brian

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
4,255 Posts
bheinz57 said:
Great pics, I think I saw some Nebraska dirt on that engine! Brian
Now Brian, that would only be Nebraska dirt if it had dog food, cow blood, or random cattle parts in it :D

Cool pics Neil, great to see some fellow Outback.org members helping each other out :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian, I will be replacing all the stuff I have access to . So, (for obvious reasons) clutch, rear seal, gaskets, waterpump, timing belt etc. I am taking the flywheel in today for machining and a new pilot bearing. As soon as I receive the gasket set, the heads will go too.

FMGreen, taking the engine out and apart is the easiest way to do everything, especially when you do the clutch and rear oil seal.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my parts were delivered today. Dropping the heads with the machine shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee, the guys on CentralOhioSubarus are tempting me with turbo kits, now you are starting with V8's!:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The heads are back on. Waiting for the new valve shims which should arrive today. Still have not located a clutch alignment tool although someone I work with might have one. Will know later today. If all else fails, I will get our machine shop to make something that should work.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Very well...clutch alignment tool? Don't broomstick pieces work anymore:p That's the last time I put in a clutch! We used a slice of wood from a broom. Good luck. Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jondalar said:

Why not go the whole hog and stick the V8 in AND turbo it? :D
If only it was not my daily driver!

On another note, I just went a bought a clutch installation tool set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
Mericet
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing