Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought my 1st Subaru, 1999 Legacy Outback Wagon.
I'm a shadetree mechanic, had all kinds of cars over the last 40 years, mostly Mopars and Toyotas.
I like to buy POS's and fix them up for daily transportation. Therefore, I'm always looking for hacks and parts on the cheap.
Thanks in advance for any and all help!
pa4445.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs

Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
Brother, you've found a home here!

A lot of us are shadetree types with 30+ years of mechanic experience. That's not a bad thing, we just have to think out of the box sometimes! No gantry hoist, OK, but do we have a tree?

There's more info and Subaru Gurus on here than you could wish for!

Welcome!

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to let you guys know, the 1999 Legacy Outback Wagon I bought has worked out pretty good so far. I got it for my son since he needed AWD where he is.
We had to fix a bunch of stuff:
New rear struts.
New back hatch handle
Brake pedal was spongy - bleeding fixed that.
Oil Change.
New drive belts
New plug wires and coil.
New/used tires Firestone winterforce 205/75-15 (1 size bigger)
Replaced fog lamps with hella driving lamps.

I drove it through 1 heavy snow before I put new tires on, and I have to say I was very impressed.

Overall, I think this is a great car. Fairly easy to work on, and I downloaded a service manual that is one of the best I've seen. I will definatley be getting another Subaru in the future.

On the Super Mod Squad
Just to let you guys know, the 1999 Legacy Outback Wagon I bought has worked out pretty good so far. I got it for my son since he needed AWD where he is.
moving to gen1 95-99 section and re-naming.

______

glad you got a seemingly good EJ25D.

what did you put on for plugs/ wires/ coil.?

and I hope you saved the old one if it were a OEM that says "subaru" in small letters etched in the front. (aftermarkets are either expensive, or cheap turds that fail fast).

subarus like NGK plugs and wires. (sometimes the wires subaru dealers sell are different but in spec).

____

and people usually change all 4 struts so they match. (some odd handling can happen from mix / matching them by age and brand,...KYB is what subaru relabels, sadly the rest have become chinese junk in nice boxes).

____

you might change the timing belt kit ASAP. = very sad if something in the kit breaks on what maybe a $1500 engine. (EJ25Ds in good shape are rare). Aisin is the last good japanese label with japanese made parts. (people here complaining about Gates and the rest putting chinese junk in,...even the kits labeled "N" for Nippon )

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is really a low budget project. He doesn't have much money, and I'm trying to get him through the winter with this car.
Most guys on these forums would NEVER consider doing things other than the best way, but in my experience, discretion can be the better part of valor when working on a car.

I didn't want to put much money in this because I don't think the engine will last more than a year or two. It's noisy when cold, but quiets down when warm. I've had other makes that went years like this, but being my first Subi, don't know what to expect.
Plugs, I was going to put plugs in. But I ordered 1 instead of 4. I started to change them anyway, figuring to get 3 more local.
I pulled the wires off #2 and #4 (I think, left side), pulled #2 Plug and it looked really good, so I put it back in and left the plugs alone
My reasons for this were:
-The engine was already running smoothly, no misfires.
-The plug I pulled looked really good
- I didn't like the way the plug felt when it came out (possible thread galling), I didn't want to get into head repair.
-#4 looked VERY difficult to get to.
I had the car on jacks for about a week, and when we drove it again it had a miss fire. I tried to reseat the #4 plug wire, but the misfire persisted. Auto Zone scanned it for me, and said misfire on #4, so I just bought the wires and coil there (probably duralast brand.)
-Reason I went for coil also is that I pulled #4 wire from coil wire engine running and sparks were jumping all over. (this may be normal, I'm not sure.) I also was in a time crunch.
Replaced wires and coil and the engine ran great!

Struts I used were KYB,
If the fronts seemed bad at all I would have replaced them. I wanted to do the Forester swap, but $.

Long story, I know, but he made it to Colorado from Ohio, through an ice storm in which it handled great, so I'm calling that a win.
If he ever brings it back to Ohio, I might make more repairs.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Long story, I know, but he made it to Colorado from Ohio,
Yet another Subaru to fight during the commute. (Assumeing he's on the Front Range) If he has any issues he needs help with, contact me. My shop is shut down, but I still take care of a few cars.

On the Super Mod Squad
any 4 cylinder subaru that is earlier then 2000 will make some noise when cold.

maybe some mild piston slap,...or the exhaust headers are cold. (but can go 300,000 miles making such noises)

____

if you ever think you need a alternator for this: the EJ25D and old EJ22 got that part recalled way back when, and subaru made lots and lots of remans for them,...more so then they could ever sell vs. rust and EJ25D head gaskets killing the cars off.

so for about $75 you get the OEM. (might take any dealer a day to get one out of the local warehouse.).

______

hope things work out, and you get to see it again though.:smile2:

(if you think this is a great car,...lots of newer better subarus out there to be had).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's in Alma working in Breckenridge for now, you know how these kids are.
Thnaks for the offer of help though.

Yet another Subaru to fight during the commute. (Assumeing he's on the Front Range) If he has any issues he needs help with, contact me. My shop is shut down, but I still take care of a few cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope it will last, but I'm going to keep my eye out for an EJ22 in case he brings it back here. The body has some rust through but the chassis is solid, so maybe worth fixing up more.

I'm also going to look for a newer Outback for myself, I really like the wagon body style.

any 4 cylinder subaru that is earlier then 2000 will make some noise when cold.

maybe some mild piston slap,...or the exhaust headers are cold. (but can go 300,000 miles making such noises)

____

if you ever think you need a alternator for this: the EJ25D and old EJ22 got that part recalled way back when, and subaru made lots and lots of remans for them,...more so then they could ever sell vs. rust and EJ25D head gaskets killing the cars off.

so for about $75 you get the OEM. (might take any dealer a day to get one out of the local warehouse.).

______

hope things work out, and you get to see it again though.:smile2:

(if you think this is a great car,...lots of newer better subarus out there to be had).

On the Super Mod Squad
I hope it will last, but I'm going to keep my eye out for an EJ22 in case he brings it back here. The body has some rust through but the chassis is solid, so maybe worth fixing up more.

I'm also going to look for a newer Outback for myself, I really like the wagon body style.
if you find something. post up what you are looking at,

any CVT from 2010-15 is not a good buy right now. ( I wonder what is going to happen to those in the coming years once they all get 130,000 miles on them, and some of them have rebuilt transmissions from the 100,000 mile extended warranty, and others are just dead needing big money to fix).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts