Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Legacy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember me posting here a couple months ago about a new '02 Outback i had purchased with a bad front differential. Well, here is my short, but sweet story of how i came into the world of Subarus.

I bought what i thought was a great deal for a low mileage ( 117,000 ) '02 Outback for $5000 from a wholesaler, not knowing the going rate for these cars, and generally not knowing much about them period, even though my wife also recently purchased an '06.

Upon buying it i noticed a strange noise, but nothing bad enough that i thought i should pass up on this deal i thought i was getting. Well, unfortunately it was a bad front differential. More unfortunate was that it was sold "as is", though the dealer did send $400 dollars "out of the goodness of his heart", and the warranty i thankfully bought paid $500 towards the repair. I also got involved with a shady mechanic, that after a moth of having my car, finally put a used transmission in for $900. Car drove beautifully thank God.

After about a week of driving it, i noticed that what i thought was fluid mess from the trans swap, was actually the infamous leaky head gasket issue. During that week, it also developed a real bad rattle from the also infamous heatshields. These i took off, but not without feeling like i wrestled an alligator for an hour.:D

I thought i would take a few months to come up with the money for a head gasket repair, but was able to sell my other car fairly quickly, and got the money together, fixing the heads. I also had the shop turn the rotors, which alleviated the wheel steering rattle it also had.

A week after, my check engine light came on, and i was told that since it was the "infamous" p0420 code, that i would need a new cat. Knowing the car had a new Bossall, i thought i should check here first, and came upon the awesome spark plug non fouler fix, which took care of the issue.:29:

Yesterday i fixed the left front strut mount that the shady mechanic supposedly fixed, but got screwed at Mieneke for an hour of work they didnt do, after quoting me an hour for the job. The manager acted like a smart ass and literally walked away from as if saying "tough ****, live with it". :28: Thankfully the clunking steering got fixed as well.

Today i gave the one last thing that needed to be fixed ( wind noise from driver side ) a try, after reading a fix here...wallah! fixed!

My Soob is now in like new condition, and runs and looks great! Thanks to the many of you here, i saved lots of money, and was able to fix what i thought were many little defects on what felt like a shitty car. I now feel like the happy Outback owner i should be, and can finally say i have a car i dreamed of owning ever since i first saw one 15 years ago.

I guess it wasnt so much a good deal, but a car in need of salvaging. The good thing is now i know what is fixed, and wont have as high of a loan payment for very long.

Thanks again guys, you are all a bunch of enthusiastic and knowledgeable Soob dudes!

·
Registered
1995 2.2 Auto Legacy Sedan
142 Posts
Way to go and stick with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts