Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my.subaru to put together the actual specs for the 15k interval and I notice something a little off. It looks like Subaru bought in to the let's-make-the-dealers-some-extra-cash mentality and rolled their intervals back by 750m to 3k.

In my Service History, I see where the dealer loaded the 7.5k oil change. But, when I look at maintenance schedule, I see 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, etc. I'm at 15k, so I can't tell, but I'm willing to bet the service reminder section will highlight a 18k service in a few months.

Not impressed Subaru, not impressed.

NB: I would have thought there was a thread on this, but searching yielded nothing.

NB2: Either the glitch has been resolved or Subaru has shown foolishness in making the change and responsiveness in reverting back.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
MySubaru lists BOTH the manufacturer's and dealer's recommended maintenance schedules. You must be looking at the dealer's.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Dealers make their money on service not sales so is it a wonder that they reduce the intervals?
This is all dealers not just Subaru.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
MySubaru lists BOTH the manufacturer's and dealer's recommended maintenance schedules. You must be looking at the dealer's.
This.

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5 auto trans
20 Posts
This is my first post, so I will try not to sound stupid.

Just got a 2008 base model Outback from local dealer. Service records indicate oil and filter changed every 10k with Mobile 1. Seems like too long a stretch to me. Has 60k on it so it's not a high miler. I intend to keep doing Mobile 1 at about 5k.

Your thoughts are welcome! I have learned a lot here already.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
723 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong then. I log in, click on maintenance schedule, and this is what I see.
That is odd! When I click on "maintenance schedule" it shows intervals of 3750 miles.

As far as the Mobil1 OCI, changing the oil every 5K mi. will work out just fine.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I've been confused too. My car has about 2700 miles so it's coming up on the first oil change. I've seen 3k and 3.75k listed for this service, so I called the dealer and they said 3750 miles. Hope that's right.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
For the 2013 The first oil change on the 3.6R is 3750 but for the 2.5i its 7500 and every 7500 miles after that

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong then. I log in, click on maintenance schedule, and this is what I see.
I don't think you're doing anything wrong, I think they changed the website. I logged in under my old OB and saw the same thing (dealer recommended intervals). There used to be 2 tabs you could select (Subaru/dealer).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think you're doing anything wrong, I think they changed the website. I logged in under my old OB and saw the same thing (dealer recommended intervals). There used to be 2 tabs you could select (Subaru/dealer).
Ok. I had always looked at the Subaru intervals, so I was just a little worried I was going nuts - especially since my 11,250 oil change didn't get marked as complete after the dealer service (it shows up as just plain "Other").

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
This is the case. Not saying that it is the right thing to do - and - emailed them about my dissatisfaction about this. Best advice is to look at the schedule in the "Warranty" pamphlet and go from there (do note the exceptions).

G-

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. I had always looked at the Subaru intervals, so I was just a little worried I was going nuts - especially since my 11,250 oil change didn't get marked as complete after the dealer service (it shows up as just plain "Other").
Ok. This thread can now disappear into the ether.

I went to my.subaru to see if I could find the contact info to complain. It looks like the issue was just a glitch that lasted a couple of days - everything is back to normal (either that or other people complained). But, I've got that screenshot that at least kind of proves I'm not just an attention-seeking idiot. Right?

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
I tend to post the service upon return from the dealership and include the mileage, actual services performed, and the receipt number.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tend to post the service upon return from the dealership and include the mileage, actual services performed, and the receipt number.
I usually just note it in my service manual. I'm a sucker for paper. I really should putting all that pertinent stuff online though - especially with things like the key plates being so small and receipts starting to take up space after a few years (the glovebox of my 97 Civic is just service/part receipts).

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
yeah, dealer postings have been vague, confused or wrong on mine a few times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts