Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm having trouble with my 2001 Subaru Outback H6 and would really appreciate anyone's guess as to what could be the problem. I purchased it w/ 155k miles in 2013 for $2950 and drove it for about 8 months until the drive shaft went and it took me years to figure out what was causing the shaking, even the local mechanic had no idea.. Before figuring out the problem though, I went away for 2 years and my car sat the whole time, uncovered. When I got home, a new battery allowed the car to start right up as if the engine was warm. I replaced the leaky radiator hose, serpentine belt, and two pulley bearings, as well as power steering hose. 9 months later and I went away again for 9 months and my car sat once again. Once home, a jump on my dead battery started the car right up.

So that's the short history of my subaru with 170k miles now.

I thought one day that I noticed my car had some resistance that I hadn't previously noticed. Almost as if the coasting when not giving it gas I was used to disappeared and I have to keep my foot on the gas to get it to go anywhere. Additionally I feel like the car feels like it's almost struggling. I noted that it pulled to the right. I thought it was maybe because the front right tire had a slow leak, but after fixing the tire the problem persisted.

I thought it could've been a stuck brake and I changed the pads in the front and decided to change the front right caliper as well, since some of the parts were rusted badly. At first I thought this fixed my problem, but I think it was all in my head.

Recently I've noticed overnight a sluggish feeling that at first I attributed to having only a 1/4 tank of gas (since other cars of mine would seem to act that way when low on fuel) so I filled the tank. It didn't help, and a buddy said, "Change the fuel filter and air filter", so I did about two weeks ago. He also suggested a fuel additive so I did that as well. Only about 1-2 months apart, I'm not sure why I didn't realize this new problem was probably the same problem as before, only getting worse.

Several years ago the mechanic pointed out a torn boot on my left front axle, and it began making a popping noise when I turned left. I recently replaced the axle so the noise is gone, and I was hoping it was somehow causing the drag, but no. I thought maybe it was badly out of alignment to the point the wheels are fighting eachother but no the alignment didn't help. Still pulls to the right. The tire shop said the front left inner tie rod has play in it and to have it replaced. I can order one and replace it but I'm not sure that will be the solution to my problem, and I may just be better off trying to get rid of it for whatever I can in hopes of finding a newer Subaru in better shape.

The past few weeks I noticed the BRAKE and battery lights flash simultaneously on the dashboard here and there. There is definitely something wrong with my car but I have no idea what. Today since it was a little cooler here, I started the car and put the heat on and within a few minutes the VDC OFF light came on, and I noticed my car starting to rise in heat nearing the red. So I quickly threw it in Drive and within a mile the car started cooling down and the VDC light went off. I "think" I'm noticing the brakes are a little more sensitive than usual, meaning the amount I am use to applying them causes the car to slow more than I had anticipated. It could be a brake problem or something with the wheel.

I haven't worked in nearly 4 years and have little money but it may be time to sell my Subaru for what it's worth and try for another one. She's been pretty good to me! I saw in last week's paper a silver 2012 Outback, black leather interior, fully loaded, 150k miles, for $4800.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions on maybe a quick test or quick fix I can try on my current Subaru, please let me hear it.

Thanks

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,475 Posts
brake + battery lamp = low voltage. Any combination of weak battery, alternator, corroded grounds or extra electrical loads can do this.

Try installing a spare fuse in the FWD slot to see how it feels. This will disengage the rear wheels and lock the car into FWD mode. If something is wrong with the AWD system this will isolate it.

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
576 Posts
No word about checking the rear brakes, park brake especially could be dragging. Also, possibly wheel bearings. Has the transmission fluid been checked recently, or at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. We did check the transmission fluid, but the rear brakes or wheels no I didn't. I do have a slight update to this story though. I had no choice but to drive the car 2hours North and 2 hours back and for a part the dashboard lights I mentioned stayed lit for a bit. On the way home I noticed when those lights came on, the radio would click and I would see a change in how bright my headlights were. People were pulling over on the highway and flashing me but I didn't realize it was because I was driving with no lights on in the dark. Checked the bulbs yesterday and both had blown somehow. Also my leg felt like it was on fire from excess heat though the engine never showed it was overheating.

The next day after noticing the radiator overflow was filled when cool, and the return (or maybe not return) hose was flattened due to pressure, I replaced the radiator cap that apparently had a torn seal. Added 3 bottles of water to the radiator and hoped for the best. 20minutes into my test drive the same dashboard lights flickered but I didn't feel same intense heat. I imagine the radiator cap helped fix the radiator problem.

So now the sluggisness continues and the dashboard lights came on for an hour and then went off. A friend tested the voltage of the alternator, while the dashboard lights were not on, and it was low, like 13v or something. He suggests I replace the alternator. I have no problems with that, but I wonder if that could be what is causing the sluggish feeling? Having to give it a lot more gas than usual just to go anywhere. If I put it in neutral the sluggishness disappears while I coast smoothly. I've yet to try removing the AWD fuse to see if that has any effect but I will do so. Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
is this a VDC or

a LLBean / Limited ?

VDC models do not have a fuse to insert or remove. to put them in Front Wheel Drive mode.

such can be done in 2001 Beans, or limiteds .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts