Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my beloved '98 4Runner on my first Subaru, a 2011 3.6R Premium with just about everything but nav and leather. I'm leery of rapidly depreciating assets like newer cars, so I'd planned on buying 4-5 years old but since the Outback changed in 2010, I focused on that year hoping to find one with around 30K on the clock. Instead I stumbled across a 2011 demo with only 3300 miles on it, and after some spirited negotiations I ended up paying what I would have for the 2010s with high miles that I saw. I also went for an extended service plan once they got the price down low enough for me to bite. I didn't expect such a good deal on a car that had never even been titled, so I'm still in shock.

Feeling especially lucky since it was exactly the color I wanted (black) and also had the engine and options I wanted. I want to drive this into the ground like I did my 4Runner, so I didn't want to have regrets.

Living with this thing for the last few days has been a real treat. I'm 6'1" and built like a retired NFL lineman (fat), so the 4Runner was never comfortable. My head always touched the moon roof too easily, the seat didn't go far back enough, and the cabin was way too narrow for two people. OTOH the Outback could easily accommodate NBA players. My seat is way forward of the rear stops and I have not experienced that in any car I've owned. Of course it's also way faster while getting better mileage, and it's rock solid on the highway whereas the 4Runner got moved around by the wind and imprecise steering. All that, plus I've lost nothing in snow (once I change the tires) or cargo space. Gotta love that. It won't be quite as capable off road, but close enough, and smoother. These days I don't do much more than dirt roads with my dogs in the back, while chasing birds to photograph.

Lurking around here has been great. I now have a service manual on my computer and rear seat back protectors along with Husky floor liners headed my way. :29: I've spent months trying to decide what to buy, but for me the Outback was almost a no-brainer and I never found compelling data to convince me otherwise. This forum helped with the decision tremendously, so thanks for the discussions and enthusiasm.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
I just traded in my beloved '98 4Runner on my first Subaru, a 2011 3.6R Premium with just about everything but nav and leather.
I, too, traded a 4Runner for a new 2011 3.6R Premium and have not regretted it at all. The 09 Trail Edition was great, and really unique, but the OBW has it beat 4 ways to Sunday. Room, power and mileage are all much better than the T4R.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I replaced a 91 4runner with a brand new 2001 Legacy GT Limited Sedan and never looked back. The subaru was kept for twice as many years and towed more boats than the 4runner ever had a chance to tow. The Gt also saw far more dirt roads over the years than the 4runner ever did. No doubt my experience even with the legacy GT was similar to yours today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts