Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 (MY02) Subaru Outback 5 spd MT 2.5L NA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have an Australian Spec MY01 2.5l Subaru Outback.

I've noticed with some Japanese and US spec Outbacks, the tail lights underneath the reversing lights act as brake lights (ie - not the brake lights in the cluster, but the ones above the number plate), whereas Aus spec outbacks merely have blank plastic inside the light housing where the globe would usually be.

I'd love to find a way to make these lights functional as they where once intended. The service manual I have refers to these lights as 'Finisher Lights'.

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/130224/721r1/3022ii5_20.jpeg

Are there US parts I can buy to make my Outback feature these lights? I'd love to not have to replace the entire rear finisher/reverse light assembly but if I have to, where to I find these parts?!

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
When you say blank plastic, do you mean the reflector housing shape simply isn't there, or that the hole where the bulb would plug in isn't there? If its the latter, all you'd need is a template and dremel tool and some time and patience. Take a pic or two maybe?

Also, why is it so hard to get AUDM taillights exported? Everybody on ebay and anywhere else has JDM stuff like crazy, fairly cheaply, but I couldn't find AUDM stuff hardly at all.

·
Registered
2001 (MY02) Subaru Outback 5 spd MT 2.5L NA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In reply to Euchre, the plastic is there and has holes and power plugs for the reverse light and single rear foglight, but the tail light section is plastic. I can drill out holes but how would i go about wiring it up to act as two new brake lights? Would i be able to purchase plugs that i can wire up?

Photos coming

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
If the holes exist, you might only need to install a USDM pigtail in place of your current one to add the appropriate lights. Hopefully someone here who is good with wiring diagrams can check it out and post if this is possible, and maybe what part number it would take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts