Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an 02 Impreza OBS that is in desperate need of some mods and I have asked around at other forums only to find out about this one! :1: How awesome - one for outbacks... anyways, I have some questions and it seems like I am in the right place for answers:

1. I am looking at getting KYB GR-2 struts for the TS and put them on my OBS. Will this work

2. I want the ganzflow CAI - will this work

3. Any other mods you recommend???

Any info is good info so thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
1. welcome!

2. one of our members indicated that he put either GR2s or AGXs designed for a WRX/RS onto his OBS successfully. run a search on this. and if you do it, let us know your results. i'm due to struts soon.... i think there's a possibility it may lower yr car a little if that's impt.

2. i know nothing abt this CAI. several people here have done the Home Depot CAI and been very happy, esp for the cost of $5-15. i did this with K&N in stock airbox, and am very happy with sound and throttle response, esp after adding the WRX cat-back.

3. CAI, better headlight bulbs, WRX pipe, WRX rear bar, solid end links for rear anti-sway bar, better fogs, more aux lights, WRX seats...the list goes on, many threads discussing this already. many of the WRX parts will bolt on to OBS or durn close to it.

bw

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
tompetey, the Ganzflow will work, but make a Heinzflow (my version.) I made one for the wife's Baja and it works/fits perfect. 3" PVC, a straight piece around 12", two 45's (both 'ells') and one rubber 3" to 2.5" coupler that already has the SS hose clamps attatched. Home Depot, Lowe's, all these places have these parts for $17 including the cleaner and glue. Works and fits perfect. Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The homemade CAI seems like an awesome idea. I think I am going to try it tonight! I do have one question though - do I put the 3" to 2.5" coupler at the end going into the airbox? I assume I should be trying to make mine look just like the GanzFlow? Thanks again for the info on this - I hope someone can post a reply today so I know when I try it!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
There is another thread where I went into detail about it but I forget which one. Yes, the 2.5" side points straight to the firewall and goes onto the short snorkel plastic piece that comes out of the airbox. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
T--

send me yr email address and i'll fire off high resolution foto of my installation. you'll like results, and wonder why all those folks spend several hundred for a name brand CAI. Thanx to Brer Heinz and others here for turning me on to that.

figure out b4 you start whether you want to go with higher flow filter in stock airbox or a cone type at end of intake tract. former might yield marginally more HP and slightly more intake noise, latter offers slightly better filtration and longer intervals between cleanings. Brian correctly pointed out that gauze type filters like K&Ns prolly filter slightly less well than paper element, and with minimal flow restriction these cause, you actually could use a 2-stage system with both types.

·
Registered
82 Posts
cptoversteer said:
T--

send me yr email address and i'll fire off high resolution foto of my installation. you'll like results, and wonder why all those folks spend several hundred for a name brand CAI. Thanx to Brer Heinz and others here for turning me on to that.

figure out b4 you start whether you want to go with higher flow filter in stock airbox or a cone type at end of intake tract. former might yield marginally more HP and slightly more intake noise, latter offers slightly better filtration and longer intervals between cleanings. Brian correctly pointed out that gauze type filters like K&Ns prolly filter slightly less well than paper element, and with minimal flow restriction these cause, you actually could use a 2-stage system with both types.
Does anyone have pics that they could shoot over to me? CAI's are on my mind...

PM me.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
etzel
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing