Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's an AUS MY04 but since almost everyone is from the USA I'll call it a MY05. I've noticed lately that I have to have the volume set way higher for the same sound level than I used to need, say quiet radio listening used to be 7-10 now it needs 13-17. It used to be that 20 was getting really load, today had to play a CD on 22 just to hear normally. Anyone else have this problem or know what might be the cause?

By the way this is the Clarion based Subaru stereo, not the McIntosh, we can't get that in an Outback in Oz. 6 stack CD in dash, 6 speakers, casette deck & AM/FM2 radio.

I don't like posting two problems in one week, but I guess that's how it goes, looks like a trip back to the dealer fairly soon...

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
195 Posts
Saw this message post getting old and unused, so...

Odd thing, that it might have become lower volume-like recently. At first I thought you were saying it was different compared with some earlier Subaru you had.

Stock stereo/single CD in my '04 OBS is rather quiet too. CD play definitely isn't loud enough for me, especially if driving along at 70 MPH, when at full volume (digits showing 33) I can just about hear it okay.
Radio does fine if volume is up to 25 or thereabouts, and it's okay even if I leave it down around 15 to 20 during slower drives.

I don't have anything to compare it to, though. No portable player and this is my first in-car one. I had been using cassettes. ;) Only have the Pioneer home stereo system with 6-disc magazine besides.

What comes to mind is high levels of heat causing more resistence in the circuit. No melted CD's here (yet) like someone mentioned someplace, but it does get hot. Maybe hot days could make matters worse.

BTW, how can a person know if it's a Clarion or McIntosh? Are there photos showing each kind someplace, or do you have to check a label on the back? I was thinking Subaru used other brands, too; I read someplace Panasonic and Phillips radios were used in past MY's.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well McIntosh have a label on the front saying that, sales guy told me it was a Clarion in the Outbacks here. Not sure what you've got over there tho, it could be different. It mainly seems to be radio volume that affected, not so much CD's... scheduled service coming up so will ask about it then.

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, seems like an amp thing to me too. Interesting that the salesman told me it was Clarion when it's Kenwood. To be honest I'd have expected better sound from Kenwood.

Nice to see you back Chris :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jondalar said:
Nice to see you back Chris :D
Thanks mate ;)

All of the audio decks in the previous Outback were Clarion, so I suspect that's why the salesman assumed the current models have Clarion audio as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Losiho
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing