Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Seems like my outback is suffering from a damaged center diff (clunking sound when turning hard after driving a while, binding);

Questions:
  • Can someone recommend a mechanic in Melbourne, Australia
  • What is the approximate cost? Labour (hours) and parts.
Thanks
Sven

PS: not keen on the Subaru dealer/mechanic

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,080 Posts
you are going to need a transmission overhaul as the center differential is integrated with that. state side a typical trans rebuild will run about $3-4K I would suspect around the same in aussie land. have you tried contacting MRT performance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you are going to need a transmission overhaul as the center differential is integrated with that. state side a typical trans rebuild will run about $3-4K I would suspect around the same in aussie land. have you tried contacting MRT performance?

Thanks for info, unfortunately MRT are more than 600miles away...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that something that needs done rather urgently or can I just keep driving? I doesn't affect normal driving, just really only when parking or reversing into driveway.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,080 Posts
you know I forgot to ask auto or manual trans... another option would be to swap in a used box the lower the KM (miles) the better

·
Registered
2010 Premium Outback 2.5
14 Posts
Hi
Dealer in Queensland quoted $1800 plus GST for Centre Diff for my 6 speed 2.5 petrol. Took me about 4 Hrs to replace
and I had never done one before. It was a little tricky but ok. If you look on line you will find cheaper genuine parts than I was quoted.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts