·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello Outback family. My name is Michael and if you're familiar with the Porsche or Volvo community, you may know who I am... I've owned a lot of cars over the years and our newly acquired Outback is the 7th installment currently residing in my garage. If you're interested, pictures and past build threads can all be seen via the links in my signature.

My background comes from modifying and racing Volvos.

The C30 is my pride and joy, built for racing. 272whp and 345ftlb at the wheels. 0-60 in less than 5 seconds... It'll hold its own against most cars in its class both on dirt and pavement.

I also have a Porsche 987S track build that I'm preparing for the 2019 season.

My daily is an "old" '97 F150. Triton V8 and manual with 355k miles, she gets the job done and has towed many cars.

The V50 has been my wife's daily. A manual, turbo, AWD wagon is a unicorn in the Volvo scene. Also tuned and pushing close to the 300hp mark, it's a great car, but being a 2006 and high mileage, it was time to replace it with something newer.

That's where my Outback comes in. Her name is Stella and she's obviously a lot heavier and slower than what we're used to. But with the other toys in my garage, we don't need another vehicle for speed. It's just a solid family car, which was part of my justification for buying a 2.5i Base. All of our cars and trucks are manual, so we went with the newest and lowest mileage manual Outback that we could find.

That being said, I can't leave anything stock. This build thread may be more tame and progress slower than past builds, but there will still be quite a few changes under my ownership and I plan to document everything here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First item on the agenda is to retrofit factory fog lights.

For those with a 2013-2014, the kit (which includes all necessary parts to retrofit fog lights) part number is H451SAJ300 and can be found for about ~$200 new.
Attached is the PDF for install on 2013-2014, which is slightly different than 2010-2012.

I'm opting to piece together the kit myself, since good condition fog light housings can be purchased used for a fraction of the price.

The owner's manual for 2014 shows that factory fog lights are controlled via the turn signal stalk. However, I was unable to confirm whether the wiring/software was preexisting for retrofitting this stalk, so I have opted to purchase the revised mirror control switch with fog light button that is referenced in the H451SAJ300 kit. This will also make install easier since stalk replacement requires removing the steering wheel and airbag.

H4510AJ000 is the mirror/fog light switch associated with the 2010-2012 fog light kits. There is no confirmed fitment on 2013-2014.
The part diagrams make it look like the same part and the mirror control switch WITHOUT the fog light button is the same for all Gen4 Outbacks. So I'm going out on a limb to test if this part will work on the MY2014.

The H451SAJ300 kit also includes the necessary relay. But if you are piecing things together yourself, the relay part number is 82501AG05B.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,439 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should get Morimoto LED full fog replacements...better light output ...just MHO. I will be replacing the fogs on our ‘18 crosstrek...they will match the LED low/high beams on the car

Subaru: XB LED - Fog Lights from Morimoto HID
I saw those, but the housings are only bolt-on compatible with the 2010-2012 Outback. The 13-14 housings appear to be slightly larger and more elliptical in shape; I want something that's a perfect fit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swapped out the cheap vinyl shift knob for a WRX one.

I've got boxes of parts for this thing to finally get it where I want it, but I promised myself I wouldn't turn any wrenches on it until both track cars are ready for the spring. The struggle is real, I hate leaving things stock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the taillights went out, so I replaced all 4 with LEDs. I opted for red bulbs, rather than white, so they're a bit softer in appearance.

Brighter than the halogen 168 bulbs, but still in no competition with the brake lights.

Being a 2014, I'm surprise these cars don't monitor the tail lights to give a warning when they burn out... But I guess that works in my favor since there's no errors when swapping them for LEDs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Secured a GPS mount in the lower cubby. I hate windshield mounts and I prefer to always have my GPS on for the live data.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started a new video series for the Subaru. It won't be as detailed as Project V50 was, but it'll still follow the progression of the build once we actually start modifying it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coming up on 6 months of ownership and still haven't done much with it; just enjoying it for the basic car that it is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After having it there for a while, let me ask -- how does the GPSr receive the satellites? Any issues having it so far down with the dash and hood partially obscuring the sky?
It has been no problem at all. Modern GPS devices can be inside a bullet proof tank and still get signal.

My only gripe is that the GPS is a little low for quick visibility. But directions are verbally called out, so my eyes can stay on the road. Plus, I much prefer my mounting location for a GPS that I always leave connected. I don't like leaving illuminating devices permanently attached to the windshield, no matter how much they can be dimmed at night.

·
Registered
97 Posts
After having it there for a while, let me ask -- how does the GPSr receive the satellites? Any issues having it so far down with the dash and hood partially obscuring the sky?
I have my Garmin nuvi 65 there without any problems receiving at all. The 65 won't go all the way in the cubby, it is about 3/8" too wide, but with a black wedge underneth it it rides well and looks nearly factory installed.

The only problem is that when I place the shift lever I park I somtimes touch the touch screen causing it to zoom in on the map.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DRLs are disabled. Super easy and no errors with doing so. Now I can finally leave the car running without any lights on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday was 86 Day, so what a fitting day to have purchased some GT86 wheels.

$130 for the set in nearly perfect condition. These will be an improvement over the 16" steelies and having factory Subaru wheels will only benefit the resale value. BRZ center caps ordered... Now to finish off the cheap all seasons on the current wheels and invest in some better all terrain tires for these.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those with a 2013-2014, the kit (which includes all necessary parts to retrofit fog lights) part number is H451SAJ300 and can be found for about ~$200 new.

Attached is the PDF for install on 2013-2014, which is slightly different than 2010-2012.

H4510AJ000 is the mirror/fog light switch associated with the 2010-2012 fog light kits.

The relay part number is 82501AG05B.
I just realized that I never followed up on this.

The 2010-2012 switch is compatible with the 2013 and 2014 Outbacks.
Easy 15 minute swap! I pieced the kit together myself for less than $80 and having fog lights adds more than $80 to the resale value, so no money lost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
6 Participants
SeattleSi
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing